Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla expanding to Rhode Island

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this NPR article, Tesla will soon have a presence in RI! Such great news. :)

"Tesla has received the state and municipal licensing to open a store in Warwick -- the first in Rhode Island for the forward-looking company known for its premium electric sedans and SUVs. A formal announcement is expected later this year. (Update: A Tesla spokeswoman said there at no plans at this time for Elon Musk to make the scene, although it would add to the interest if he returned to Rhode Island.) Musk made a splash when he raised concerns the spread of artificial intelligence, speaking during the National Governors Association meeting in Providence in 2017. As it stands, Tesla has one store in Connecticut and four outlets in Massachusetts."

TGIF: 20 Things To Know About Rhode Island Politics & Media

• Informative
Reactions: CTShore and chjch
Good to know. I was just up there last month visiting my son. He sure did love driving the S. I bet they could fit in an X just fine. There needs to be more charge options on the island though. We stayed at the Ramada Inn with no options for charging. Didn't see much on plug share other than at the hospital.

Good to know. I was just up there last month visiting my son. He sure did love driving the S. I bet they could fit in an X just fine. There needs to be more charge options on the island though. We stayed at the Ramada Inn with no options for charging. Didn't see much on plug share other than at the hospital.

Well, the E. Greenwich supercharger isn't far from the (I'm assuming you mean Aquidneck) island. It could be used in a pinch. But, yes, A Newport supercharger is on the 2018 list, I'm expecting it will be at the Stop n Shop plaza off the rotary near the bridge. (Just my guess.) Besides the hospital, there are free chargers in town off thames and at the fort. And I've heard chargers are going to be going in at the new visitors center but I haven't followed up to see.

Drove by the supposed location yesterday, (former Tarbox Hyundai) and I'm dubious this is the site. Two "For Lease" signs prominently displayed, as in it's still on the market, and zero work done to transform it to a Tesla store.

If it is the site, there is no indication they have procured it and they are in no hurry.

• Informative
Reactions: CTShore
Could still be true I guess, it just doesn't appear it's happening soon. I believe initial reports were it could be opened in this quarter, so if this is the site that's not happening. It also didn't appear to me to have a ton of space for service - I only saw one garage bay. This was just observations on the drive by - so the service area might be bigger than it seems. Or could be expanded I guess.

My sister brought me out some of this for after breakfast milk, I'm originally from Coventry..

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: jtpassat
Update: So, second hand info from my cousin, who owns a Model X. He was at Dedham a couple of weeks ago - ended up chatting with his tech. this tech lives in Seekonk and is patiently waiting for the Warwick location to open because he is to be transferred there.

He claims the Tarbox Hyundai is indeed the location, that Tesla has already purchased the property, and that they are holding off until the Model 3 ramp is further underway. Basically everything is on hold until they are out of production hell. He said they rotate the techs out to Fremont, and that what is normally 8 in Dedham has been down to 3 or 4 during this ramp as they send them out to literally build the car.

So, it IS coming. It's just on hold.

So, take that for what it's worth. :)

Another update: indefinitely on hold. :(

Tesla pulls the plug on Warwick showroom

Since the article is vague and Tesla didn't respond, I can't tell if it's off, or suspended, or might be somewhere else. But if anything that tech said was true about them being stretched so thin because of the ramp, I'm hoping that its just on hold and not something they are remotely focusing on until the model 3 ramp is sorted.

• Informative
Reactions: CTShore
No, I don't see where it will be. I'm nervous it's the vacant store next to west marine in that crappy strip mall - which would mean it's a store and not a service center.

I just drove by there yesterday before I saw this article. then went on google street view. I don't see anything else on bald hill road that it could possibly be. I'm hoping i'm just missing something, or the article is incorrect about it being on Bald Hill road. Also, it's kind of sketchy down there. Doesn't seem like a good place for just a store.

Awesome news. Article doesn't state the specific address, any idea on which building it is? Dont see and vacant dealership.