Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally downgraded me from SR+ (240 miles) to SR (220 miles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Besides my one technical problem that must get fixed since the “Rollback”, which is explained at the end of this post, let’s look at this rollback to Standard from Standard Plus on a more appropriate basis.

First of all, for all those rude individuals who are chastising the Standard configuration buyers who got the benefit of the Standard Plus configuration for an extended period of time, stop treating them as ingrates who should be happy for what they got! This was Elon’s indecisiveness and nothing more!

There is a second category of buyers who purchased the Standard Plus configuration to get a particular feature that was ultimately included as a standard feature - such as the “pleather” power seats. This is the category I fell into. The seats were the only reason I upgraded.

When the rollback was offered, the only loss I had any concern about was the 20 mile range drop from 240 to 220.

In making my decision to accept the rollback, I realized that the drop of 20 miles to 220 was not such a bad thing as, I could now charge to 100% every time while effectively only charging to about 90% of the battery’s capacity, thereby retaining my normal daily driving range. My only effective loss would be about 17-18 miles when driving on a long trip.

However, after the rollback my battery range dropped 32 miles to a maximum range of 208 miles. The additional 12 mile loss of range is under investigation by Tesla engineering. (I am being told.)

I did also notice two related changes. There is definitely a noticeable drop in power. I certainly can't launch quite as readily as I used to.

On the other hand I have noticed about a 15 wh/mi decrease on average trips. So it may have increased the efficiency of the car.
Are you saying that you lost more than 3/10 second when accelerating from 0-60? (The change should have only been a drop in acceleration time from 5.3 seconds to 5.6 seconds.)

Reactions: SlimJim
Same boat. Literally getting in my car to evacuate when I noticed range dropped to 209.

I evacuated to Asheville NC from Savannah, GA. 251 mile trip. I used to be able to make that trip with one supercharger stop in Columbia, SC. Had to detour to Santee, SC to make it to Columbia, then again to Greenville to make it to Asheville.

Added over two hours to my trip.

Very poor timing.

And yes, Elon himself verified on Twitter that evacuees would have software limits lifted during the hurricane. Instead we get limits imposed. Very poor timing.

I am not, however, being charged for the supercharged. So at least there is that.
I was told the drop to 208-210 from 240 has happened to a number of people and they are investigating as to why it went lower than 220.

There is all kind of weirdness going on with the "rated range" value showing up on all models. My recently software upgraded Model 3LR RWD went back down to 310 max range. The "rated" line in the Energy app also moved. They must be messing with the BMS and range calculating algorithms. I expect more fluctuations with future updates as they iron things out. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in range fluctuations at the moment.

I purchased an SR+ a bit over a month ago. It came with FSD (with Summon), fog lights, heated rear seats. I lost the FSD/summon after one week. Last week the fog lights were disabled. And just yesterday my rear heated seats were turned off.

I realize it’s fair and what I paid for, but I would have preferred to have NONE of this stuff from day one. It’s awkward that my car is capable of all this and by software they downgraded me little by little... to what I paid for. Should I laugh? Or Cry?

I purchased an SR+ a bit over a month ago. It came with FSD (with Summon), fog lights, heated rear seats. I lost the FSD/summon after one week. Last week the fog lights were disabled. And just yesterday my rear heated seats were turned off.

I realize it’s fair and what I paid for, but I would have preferred to have NONE of this stuff from day one. It’s awkward that my car is capable of all this and by software they downgraded me little by little... to what I paid for. Should I laugh? Or Cry?
You should just buy the SR+ upgrade and be happy :)

Are you saying that you lost more than 3/10 second when accelerating from 0-60? (The change should have only been a drop in acceleration time from 5.3 seconds to 5.6 seconds.)
I think 3/10 is noticable 0-60. A 1 second difference is huge. .3 is moderate in my experience for cars around this speed. I recall the old STIs got 4.9 compared to 5.4 on the WRX and they blew the WRX away.

Neither. If you like/want those things, you should simply pay for them.

I have fog lights on my SR+.....

but I don’t know why you would have any emotional response to what your car is doing. You are literally getting exactly what you paid for, and you have the option to buy FSD if you want. At some point you might be able to turn on your rear seat heaters if that becomes an option in the online store. What other car company is doing that, from the factory?

He bought an SR+, he should at least have the fog lamps. Are you suggesting he sell his SR+ and buy the LR? There are all these options on the SR/SR+ that are there that have been disabled by software, you would think Tesla might want to make a little extra cash by letting people purchase them.

Edit: Hmm, on Tesla's website it's showing fog lamps are part of the premium package only and not partial premium.

Last edited:
He bought an SR+, he should at least have the fog lamps. Are you suggesting he sell his SR+ and buy the LR? There are all these options on the SR/SR+ that are there that have been disabled by software, you would think Tesla might want to make a little extra cash by letting people purchase them.

Edit: Hmm, on Tesla's website it's showing fog lamps are part of the premium package only and not partial premium.
Yeah, that was my point. He wants things he didn’t pay for. Seems like the solution is fairly obvious.

Mmmm, sorta. The SR+ was originally touted as offering fog lamps, they seem to have quietly removed it from their feature set without announcing it. In fact one of the reasons they Tesplained why you should buy an SR+ over an SR was that it included fog lamps. So it's not unreasonable to assume he thought those would come with the car. The heated rear seats yes, from Day One the SR+ was announced Tesla said it would come with heated front seats only. And FSD has always been on the menu as an add-on.

With all these reported downgrades going on I wonder if they're going to start offering upgrade packages to bring in some extra cash. They've dropped some hints about streaming services and Q3 will be ending in a few weeks.

Mmmm, sorta. The SR+ was originally touted as offering fog lamps, they seem to have quietly removed it from their feature set without announcing it. In fact one of the reasons they Tesplained why you should buy an SR+ over an SR was that it included fog lamps. So it's not unreasonable to assume he thought those would come with the car. The heated rear seats yes, from Day One the SR+ was announced Tesla said it would come with heated front seats only. And FSD has always been on the menu as an add-on.

With all these reported downgrades going on I wonder if they're going to start offering upgrade packages to bring in some extra cash. They've dropped some hints about streaming services and Q3 will be ending in a few weeks.

I hope you're right. Only thing avail so far for SR is to upgrade to AP for $3K. I'm hoping for special Q3 pricing..

Oh don’t get me wrong, it’s fair guys. I know what I paid for. And be serious folks: it’s awkward to have Tesla (the guy that presented the car to me) tell me just be grateful for all the extra features.. then to find out little by little, that all of it is taken away gradually.

It’s fair! My Model Y, in less than two years (I’m on a two year lease), will have FSD and Premium interior.. but the tease of having extras for this long wasn’t necessary. I’d rather have exactly what I paid for from day one, than to experience the cruel fairness of features taken away via software little by little.

Every time another feature was taken, I heard farts and maniacal laughter from the rear left seat. Cruel! =)

Reactions: jrcase and Matt L