Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Flawed Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Newbie here! TSLA MX owner since 2017 and I recently ordered a 12.4KW System + 2PWs with TSLA. Their Pricing was too good to pass.

However, when I looked at their proposed design for the 36 panel system there is a huge flaw. They only placed 10 panels on my South Facing Roof, when their competitor put up to 24 panels. The competitor quoted a smaller system 7.8 KW vs. Tesla (I want to additional juice due to low cost and I can charge my MX at home). But Tesla is putting majority of my panels (23) on the North Facing Side (WORST SIDE). When I spoke to the supposed designer, he was not very receptive to any changes. Now, the Site Surveyor was here yesterday. Tesla Customer Service claimed that the Site Surveyor can make the call on changes. Well, he said to me yesterday that he only does measurements. It is still up to the designer.

I know the new QCell 340 is slightly bigger than the Panasonic 330s that a local company quoted. QCell: 66.3" X 39.4" vs. Panasonic: 62.2" X 41.5". But that just seems to be way off. Anyone has experience dealing with this issue? Any suggestions on addressing it with Tesla?

Competitor Layout (7.8 KW system)

FullSizeRender.jpg

Tesla Design
IMG_0154.JPG

Google Solar Project View

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Thanks all!

Michael

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
An example of why I didn't use Tesla. They were not very cooperative with what I wanted. Competitors were and the price was competitive to Tesla. Good luck on this one. Maybe they will come around to what you want. I wouldn't waste my money putting anything on the north side of my house.

Consider asking others in your area for recommendations for local installers. I installed two systems on my roof over the years and helped friends and colleagues shop around. Have found that smaller local installers who don't advertise and get referrals word-of-mouth are significantly lower priced and quite flexible on design. Yelp reviews in my area have proven to be accurate as well.

I passed on Tesla Energy and went with a competitor for my solar installation:
— Tesla wouldn’t tell me what panels they would install (“that’s determined by what we have in the warehouse on the day of your installation”;
— Tesla emailed drawings of panel placement with the caveat that the installers would make the final decision on actual placement;
— I have a clay tile roof and when I asked them to explain the mounting system they used I was told it was up to the installer;
— I asked if the wiring would be run down the exterior of my house or thru the attic and their response was, you guessed it, it’s up to the installer.

I finally went with a local solar company who sent out an engineer who climbed up on the roof with me, give me the exact layout, explained the mounting system and asked where I would like the equipment and cutoff box mounted. All this before I signed the contract. It was a much more professional experience.

I'm not sure how Tesla is doing their layouts these days. Isn't it kind of an algorithm now that only gives a broad idea of optimal panel placement? I would circle back to them and see if you can get an answer. My guess is that they have these "designers" essentially just trained to fit the system where they think it works best. Obviously north-facing(at almost any angle) is a non-starter.

If someone local can match Tesla's price and has good service/reputation, go for it. But I don't know anyone around me pricing at Tesla's <$2/W before credits/rebates. They've made the right moves in eliminating sales and going with up-front pricing, the service piece is just not there yet clearly.

Maybe share your other proposal with Tesla and tell them you want it mimicked. See what happens? It's funny, not too long ago I was advising people to get a low local bid and take it to Tesla to match. Now it's the opposite! If Tesla can figure out the last pieces of service, communication and on-boarding.....look out!

• Informative
Reactions: iPlug
...If someone local can match Tesla's price and has good service/reputation, go for it. But I don't know anyone around me pricing at Tesla's <$2/W before credits/rebates...
You're probable right. I just asked a local guy who has had the best prices for several years to bid on my parent's house for the same size system as Tesla (8.16kW) and was disappointed. Tesla might be the price champion now in most instances.