Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not spotting anything about a redesign?
Identify your pack version: Decoding Your Tesla Battery Pack Version
The change happened when Tesla released the new 90kwh (compare to the old 90kwh that is used until early 2014). This guy's understanding of the versions is correct but he didn't know the change in arrangement and cooling. If you open the pack, you will notice the difference in the arrangement and cooling tube configuration. I couldn't find a video of an early model pack on youtube right now but if you can compare yours with new 90kwh pack videos.
on battery pack collision: Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S, this is an external thing that is not previously installed in some early vehicles.
Also, there was a software update on the radiator of the BMS in 2015 to improve fan performance.

Correct me if I am wrong

I’ll pick the battery that turns me into BBQ over the battery that degrades in half and ends up with less range than my ass on a bicycle.
Me too. Though many potential customers would strongly disagree, even the chance is 1/72,000 right now, which is 10 times safer than Elon promised in 2014, it's still a big no when people compare Tesla with cars that use AESC packs

I think this photo tells all. It shows the head of UI development Pawel Pietryka doing work on an MS/MX MCU on a bench. Not in an actual driving car. Just as we always suspected. Complete disconnect from an actual driving UX. Which is ironic, because this is his exact quote: “Everyone knows good design needs to be functional, simple, intuitive. But more than anything it needs to deliver a great user experience.” Yeah, a great UX --- as long as you're driving a desk.

07.jpg

This explains why the visual display of each version since version 7 has deteriorated. Version 8 and version 9 UI is unreadable IMO by anyone over the age of 45-50. In version 7, the UI used colors that were selected to contrast with the background. Easy to read. In version 8 Tesla went to a grayish foreground color for all text on a grayish-white background. Very difficult to read while driving at highway speeds. Even something as simple as reading the clock is very difficult. Version 9 is even harder to read than version 8. This is not an insignificant issue but a major safety issue. In version 7, I could read everything on both screens. Now I have to look, look and look at the screens to try to figure out street names, distances to turns, battery level at arrival at destination, etc. Any tine you have to do more than take a quick glance, it becomes a safety issue.

I did write to Tesla about this, however I believe the screen appearance (eg, text color and background color) will not improve until such time as Elon and/or the software designers reach mid-age and start having visual issues from normal aging.

As for the OP, he is NOT saying he wants anything for free, nor is he saying he refuses to accept a software update. He is simply stating that if an update is absolutely necessary for some reason, one should be notified of the need for the update and when it will occur. That is a fair request. And further, a software update should improve the user’s experience or keep the experience the same, and not degrade that experience.

And further, a software update should improve the user’s experience or keep the experience the same, and not degrade that experience.

Common sense until you understand the bigger picture.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Compare the landscape screens in sheer numbers on the 3 and Y versus pre September 2019 S/X.

It’s futile to be queens about the whole thing but color me shocked at the obstinance.

Tesla is the company of agility and innovation. If I wanted a non changing car I would have gotten a Volt instead of another Model 3.

Those holdouts are on the losing side of history no matter how many disagrees they want to throw at me.

They can either futilely stay on their old version and end up getting upgraded in time anyway or embrace the future now.

Last edited:
I wish you would stop. You are using the LTE service, Google maps, the music, supercharging, etc? Then you are using something that costs Tesla money. You want those services for free. You want to use those services but not accept that Tesla will change the software that connects to those services. If you want v8, DONT USE TESLA SERVICES! Otherwise don't complain. You're like those guys who rebuild salvaged Tesla's and then complain that supercharging and LTE doesn't work. Tesla services cost them money. Your exchange of money for a product ended when you drove off the lot. Everything else is a service contract and you don't want to hold your end up.

It is costing Tesla money - the very money exchanged for the car at purchase.

Nobody is asking for something free, just what was paid for.

Common sense until you understand the bigger picture.

Compare the landscape screens in sheer numbers on the 3 and Y versus pre September 2019 S/X.
Yeah but how much has Elon’s pedo and going private at 420 tweets cost us? They can afford to make the UI decent for horizontal screens too. Hopefully they are working on that.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Updating without warning is unacceptable.
V9 is incredibly bad.

I don't have any kind of AP. I don't have parking sensors. I don't have navigation or estimated SOC on arrival. I don't have user profiles or seat memory. There is absolutely nothing that would improve in my car if it had V9.

I very often use the map + and - controls, but with V9 they always disappear. I keep the map on the bottom in V8 both so the buttons don't disappear and because it's easier to reach the map controls.

I had a loaner for 2 weeks with V9. It had the steering wheel heater so I tried it out. But it was not too cold in the car so I turned off climate control. How many clicks to turn off the wheel? 1) climate button 2) elements tab 3) wheel off 4) climate tab since it turned climate on 5) climate off. That's a lot of distracted driving.

IMO the biggest issue with V9 is the additional interaction required to do tasks that were simpler before. Everything I often control while driving requires more clicks - except selecting the media app, which still takes one click just like mine. Smaller controls just add to the problem.

Agree with @HankLloydRight - V9 is more dangerous to interact with while driving. Even after two weeks with it my driving was still impaired due to the UI demanding so much more attention. It was frustrating and embarrassing.

It’s futile to be queens about the whole thing but color me shocked at the obstinance

Are you aware that version 9 introduced a comparability issue between Superchargers and the 2012 and 2013 cars? Search for it here on TMC. At least one owner got stranded at Supercharger locations that had the earliest manufactured chargers. If I remember correctly, one person had to be towed to the Tesla Service center more than once because the car could not charge at the Supercharger once version 9 was installed. I also recall that other owners of 2012 and 2013 cars had similar issues. It took Tesla many months to resolve the problem.

No one is saying don’t create updates. No one is saying give me something for free. The OP is just asking to be told the update will be installed on his car beforehand so he doesn’t come out to the car and be surprised. I can’t believe you would be against such notice.

Further, I believe it is reasonable to expect that an update is not gonna “break” something. Let Tesla develop whatever updates they want and/or need to do. But is it unreasonable to expect that, for example, said update employs foreground and background colors that are similar and lack sufficient contrast so as to render the information shown on the screens unreadable to at least a certain percentage of owners (which owners likely made a purchase decision when the car had a UI that was easily readable)? Or, how would you feel if you were stranded at a place far from home because an update prevented you from charging your car? I would be upset and I imagine you would be too.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that no updates ever be made. The OP just wanted to be notified before it was forcibly installed on his car.

And I would like any updates to provide easily readable text and fonts on the screens, as existed in versions 6 and 7. Tesla provided such an easily readable UI in versions up to version 8. There is no reason they needed to “break” that readability other than the UI in versions 8 and 9 was designed by twenty something year olds that have “perfect” eyesight and can not imagine their color selections causing older individuals difficulty. One thing is certain, if you don’t die prematurely (I’m not wishing that to anyone), you will find your ability to distinguish text in foreground color “A” on a background color “B” to change as you age. That’s part of life.

Updating without warning is unacceptable.
V9 is incredibly bad.

I don't have any kind of AP. I don't have parking sensors. I don't have navigation or estimated SOC on arrival. I don't have user profiles or seat memory. There is absolutely nothing that would improve in my car if it had V9.

I very often use the map + and - controls, but with V9 they always disappear. I keep the map on the bottom in V8 both so the buttons don't disappear and because it's easier to reach the map controls.

I had a loaner for 2 weeks with V9. It had the steering wheel heater so I tried it out. But it was not too cold in the car so I turned off climate control. How many clicks to turn off the wheel? 1) climate button 2) elements tab 3) wheel off 4) climate tab since it turned climate on 5) climate off. That's a lot of distracted driving.

IMO the biggest issue with V9 is the additional interaction required to do tasks that were simpler before. Everything I often control while driving requires more clicks - except selecting the media app, which still takes one click just like mine. Smaller controls just add to the problem.

Agree with @HankLloydRight - V9 is more dangerous to interact with while driving. Even after two weeks with it my driving was still impaired due to the UI demanding so much more attention. It was frustrating and embarrassing.
How many clicks to control interior temp? How many clicks to turn on recirculate or biohazard mode on? To pick a streaming favorite? To pick a favorite destination? That’s about all I do with the UI while driving.

Hopefully they are working on voice commands to be able to control everything. Elon has mentioned this, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I feel like the entitlement in this thread is insane. Bunch of rich kids with their fancy toys bitching about how they had the world's most advanced software forced upon them. "Mommy! Mommy! Elon forced me to look a big free map instead of a small one in my $90k sedan." Again, just stop.

The pattern is always the same in these threads. Someone critical of Tesla? Throw the book at them, one line at a time. Every reason is a good reason why they're wrong. Reason of the minute: "you're rich and spoiled, stop complaining."

The term NPC becomes more relevant all the time.

The pattern is always the same in these threads. Someone critical of Tesla? Throw the book at them, one line at a time. Every reason is a good reason why they're wrong. Reason of the minute: "you're rich and spoiled, stop complaining."

The term NPC becomes more relevant all the time.

No. Be critical of Tesla. I am. See my earlier post where I complained about the radio and AC turning on every time I try to load my kid in the back. I hate the wiggly cars in 2019.16. It's an actual step backwards from 2019.12. Tesla repair service is horrific and needs a full overhaul.

What I don't agree with is people feeling like they're entitled to a service that they are not paying for. If you purposely keep your car on a deprecated version of the software while using Tesla services; you are not holding your end of the deal up. It is nothing but entitlement to believe that you can break the service contract and still expect the service. Pure and simple. If you use Tesla provided services, then they can literally brick your MCU if they feel like it.

What I don't agree with is people feeling like they're entitled to a service that they are not paying for. If you purposely keep your car on a deprecated version of the software while using Tesla services; you are not holding your end of the deal up. It is nothing but entitlement to believe that you can break the service contract and still expect the service. Pure and simple. If you use Tesla provided services, then they can literally brick your MCU if they feel like it.

We did precisely pay for it. Even unlimited supercharging is built into the price of the car. Also I didn't sign anything saying Tesla is entitled to modify my property after sale, and neither did anyone else.

And I would like any updates to provide easily readable text and fonts on the screens, as existed in versions 6 and 7. Tesla provided such an easily readable UI in versions up to version 8. There is no reason they needed to “break” that readability other than the UI in versions 8 and 9 was designed by twenty something year olds that have “perfect” eyesight and can not imagine their color selections causing older individuals difficulty. One thing is certain, if you don’t die prematurely (I’m not wishing that to anyone), you will find your ability to distinguish text in foreground color “A” on a background color “B” to change as you age. That’s part of life.

Absolutely. My biggest complain about v9. Big problem, hence a major safety hazard, for the people who use the reading glasses.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
We did precisely pay for it. Even unlimited supercharging is built into the price of the car. Also I didn't sign anything saying Tesla is entitled to modify my property after sale, and neither did anyone else.

The unlimited supercharging can be taken away for any reason at any time. The blind ignorance of law it stunning. Read the software Terms of Service. Also, are you implying that Tesla hacked this guy's MCU and installed unwanted software?! His next call should be to the FBI...

Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.

Keep in mind that I got home with 11% charge and forgot to plug-in. And my car has not connected to Wi-fi in over a year.

Now I'm not going to go into all "entitled" mode and say I'm going to sue Tesla or start a class-action lawsuit or assault the local service center to roll it back. Because (a) I'm not that kind of person, and (2), I know it's pointless.

I'm just stinking mad that I now have to suffer with the utter bullcrap software that is V9.

The only upside is that now I don't have to be afraid to go in for service. My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself. Oh yeah, and Teslatari. Woot. :mad:

View attachment 413421
View attachment 413427

View attachment 413429
I don't know. But I never approved, confirmed, nor started the update.

edited to add: And nobody was in or drove my car. I have the only working key.

And since I was on 2018.18, remote updating via the app wasn't possible.

Hank, I had the same thing happen to me... when I called Tesla they confirmed the update was pushed at 2:58 AM on Tuesday evening.