Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People. Please listen carefully (again).

I never said I don't want updates.

I just want software THAT WORKS.
I'm sorry but those statements are mutually exclusive. You can't cherry pick features and you don't really get a larger than 1/500,000th say in features. So if you don't like the software being released, make your own and/or don't connect to the Tesla infrastructure! You could even just not connect to the infrastructure until a software update you do like comes out, then reconnect. There's actually an entire shop that just specializes in getting MCUs updated when their flash memory fails. Do that or anything else, just don't complain about the terms of service of a free service that you choose to use.

Someone may have mentioned this already but since the EU is now enforcing some stupid regulations, Tesla was forced to force all vehicles to 2019.16.x. I mean sucks to be you. I personally find V9 just fine but if I were Tesla I would support software for maybe a year, then ban everyone who isn't updated from using the LTE service.

This is a fair point. However v9 was a drastic change from previous releases. v9 reminds me of... Window ME... which a lot of people disliked and stayed on Win7. MS still provided security updates etc for Win7 (and they sort of still do)... just as Tesla could.

However, I understand Tesla's resources are small... and this is likely the crux of the issue; v9 was designed for the 3... which now outsells the S/X by huge margins. The math tells them to continue to focus on the 3 landscape UI and just shoehorn it onto the now minority S/X portrait UI.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
m sorry but those statements are mutually exclusive.

They are not. Also, it's not a free service, it's an included service I paid for when I bought my cars. I'm not cherry picking features either. There are dozens of bugs, defects, and just bad software decisions made in V9 using established software and UI/UX guidelines. That's OBJECTIVE. I just want Tesla to stop making their software worse.

Reactions: Inside and kavyboy
This is a fair point. However v9 was a drastic change from previous releases. v9 reminds me of... Window ME... which a lot of people disliked and stayed on Win7. MS still provided security updates etc for Win7 (and they sort of still do)... just as Tesla could.

However, I understand Tesla's resources are small... and this is likely the crux of the issue; v9 was designed for the 3... which now outsells the S/X by huge margins. The math tells them to continue to focus on the 3 landscape UI and just shoehorn it onto the now minority S/X portrait UI.
Yep. I have a feeling the interior refresh of the Model S/X coming in the fall will have landscape displays. It makes sense and reduces costs. I'm really impressed that Tesla supports cars that were made before AP2 as much as they do. I have a feeling that once MCU3 has been rolled out for a couple of years, they will stop supporting MCU1/2. Too much coding and liability. I agree that the interface could be easily improved. Also, the software updates always seem two steps forward and one backward. Like the main AP display is all funky again with dancing cars in 2019.16, when this was fixed in 2019.12. I think it may have been a bit rushed to cover the EU regulations and battery issues.

There was communication! It was due to the new EU regulations. Any Tesla being operated within the EU (regardless of where you bought it) now limits steering wheel deflection and auto lane change timing when using AP. Just like even if you bought an iPhone in NYC, when being used in Belfast it will conform to EU regulations. You don't have to get the "iOS X, Belfast Edition" they just bake in to the software based on where it is being used.

You must know something I don't, because HankLloydRight's profile says he's in Connecticut.

I think this photo tells all. It shows the head of UI development Pawel Pietryka doing work on an MS/MX MCU on a bench. Not in an actual driving car. Just as we always suspected. Complete disconnect from an actual driving UX. Which is ironic, because this is his exact quote: “Everyone knows good design needs to be functional, simple, intuitive. But more than anything it needs to deliver a great user experience.” Yeah, a great UX --- as long as you're driving a desk.

07.jpg

You must know something I don't, because HankLloydRight's profile says he's in Connecticut.
haha. Well played.

Tesla mentioned the EU regulations and it's in the release notes if you're in one of the impacted countries. I think Tesla chose to preemptively roll out 2019.16 to the entire fleet so that people wouldn't take preventative steps before it could be done. EU rules, regulations and law enforcement is very different from the US. Tesla could potentially be fined for cars that don't meet the regulations, even if the vehicle owner blocked the update. Unfortunately we (Americans) have to get used to the EU taking a more active role in technology regulation. From free speech, to safe harbor, to even self driving cars the EU now has a big say on how things will work in the world.

I never said I don't want updates.

I just want software THAT WORKS.
I'm sorry but those statements are mutually exclusive.

I should get my boss to believe this. My job would be so much easier. I could skip those bothersome testing and customer acceptance phases and just commit right to production.

You might find this to be interesting reading: Work With Us | TESLA DESIGN STUDIO.
Ok, nice story, yet the result is v9 which is not at all "functional, simple, and intuitive" (some analysis here). So, is it that this design studio is dropping the ball, or is it that they are only responsible for concepts, and as a concept Model S worked great, but since then the implementation team took it farther and farther away from the concept with every release (v9 being the latest)?

That hasn't happened yet, since there are quite a number of people still on V8 or earlier. I'm sure I was singled out. When we start to hear widespread reports of everyone getting a forced update, your assertion might hold. But we're not there yet.
Teslafi seems to be showing a reduction in cars running v8. I'm not sure how Tesla would single you out. Did you send Elon an envelope full of baby powder?

I think this photo tells all. It shows the head of UI development Pawel Pietryka doing work on an MS/MX MCU on a bench. Not in an actual driving car. Just as we always suspected. Complete disconnect from an actual driving UX. Which is ironic, because this is his exact quote: “Everyone knows good design needs to be functional, simple, intuitive. But more than anything it needs to deliver a great user experience.” Yeah, a great UX --- as long as you're driving a desk.

07.jpg

Yeah. Not a good look. Elon is always boasting about his engineers working on the factory floor.

I don't disagree with you on the UI/UX. You should see my earlier rant about why in the hell does the radio and AC turn on when you open the back door. Or why do my audiobooks start playing during summon, even when media player is set to radio. I'm just saying that Tesla doesn't owe you anything and they're not going to give you something for nothing. Yes you paid money for the car up front but after that, really the price you're paying for software updates is your compliance and your data.

The one is likely an oral surgeon and the other 4 are pediatric dentists.

No, they are all dentists. The fifth one is the one that doesn't recommend sugarless gum to his patients that chew gum. :)

It might have updated so you car doesn't catch fire. They were updated those cars and yours may be one of them. Thank god they did! Hmmm...sounds like a good idea to me.

If that is the case, they need to do an official recall.

@HankLloydRight - have you considered that V9 was designed for the Model 3 screen first and foremost?

I would be completely shocked if the the future S and X screens were not also of landscape orientation.

In an ideal situation they would maintain different development for different cars but it doesn't make sense with how stretched they are currently.

That's exactly what i'm saying..

It's hard to swallow.. I now.. but EM wants you to buy a new Tesla every 3 years... and many of his decisions are made with this paradigm in mind.
Well, while I'm also of the opinion that that is Elon's wet dream, Tesla doesn't agree with this disposable model. If your iPhone screen goes yellow, Apple gets you a new one. One of our Tesla's screen went yellow within a year, no new car replacement - heck the latest from Tesla is that that they don't even fix it under warranty!

Well, they've really stepped to far this time. I am livid.

I've been actively rejecting V9.0 updates to my car since V8.1-2018.18. The last time my car had an update was over a year ago (see EV-FW info below).

But overnight my car got updated.. and much to my horror, shock, and surprise this morning when got in the car, I was greeted with the standard update notice and V9.

Keep in mind that I got home with 11% charge and forgot to plug-in. And my car has not connected to Wi-fi in over a year.

Now I'm not going to go into all "entitled" mode and say I'm going to sue Tesla or start a class-action lawsuit or assault the local service center to roll it back. Because (a) I'm not that kind of person, and (2), I know it's pointless.

I'm just stinking mad that I now have to suffer with the utter bullcrap software that is V9.

The only upside is that now I don't have to be afraid to go in for service. My charge port door was throwing some errors last week, but it resolved itself. Oh yeah, and Teslatari. Woot. :mad:

View attachment 413421
View attachment 413427

View attachment 413429
Question: Does your Model S have the oval front Intake grill?(Like the ones caught fire in Shanghai and Hongkong) Cuz I can't read build info from your VIN. If the answer is yes then no worries. The update will make the battery management on early models safer against battery pack design defects in those early adopters' Model S. If the answer is no, then I don't know why.

Question: Does your Model S have the oval front Intake grill?(Like the ones caught fire in Shanghai and Hongkong) Cuz I can't read build info from your VIN. If the answer is yes then no worries. The update will make the battery management on early models safer against battery pack design defects in those early adopters' Model S. If the answer is no, then I don't know why.
16.2 must have been important to all cars, not just pre-refresh. It was only the second update ever (in over 2.5 years of simultaneously owning two Model S) that both of our cars got an update pushed the very same night. One of them has the old nosecone, the other one is a 3/2018 build, no "oval front intake grill", both got the update. The only other time both cars got the update on the same night was when Tesla rolled out the much increased autopilot nags.

I'm just saying that Tesla doesn't owe you anything and they're not going to give you something for nothing.

I'm not asking for "something for nothing". If you look at my first post, I didn't ask Tesla for anything. I explicitly stated that I wasn't going to complain to customer service or the service center, nor request a rollback, nor file a lawsuit. You keep putting words in my mouth, I wish you would stop.

@HankLloydRight - have you considered that V9 was designed for the Model 3 screen first and foremost?

Of course, we've all known that since the moment it was released.

I would be completely shocked if the the future S and X screens were not also of landscape orientation.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we all know that's a sure thing.

In an ideal situation they would maintain different development for different cars but it doesn't make sense with how stretched they are currently.

Agreed. But to shoehorn a landscape UI into a portrait display is just bonkers.

Question: Does your Model S have the oval front Intake grill?

You mean the classic nosecone? Yes, all P85Ds have that. Never heard it called an "intake grill" before.

The update will make the battery management on early models safer against battery pack design defects in those early adopters' Model S.

What's "early"? My car is a P85D, not exactly an "early adopter" car. Also, where are you getting my VIN? If it were my first P85+ with a 15xxx VIN, perhaps that's "early". Was there a TSB about this? Was there any announcements to tell customers that their car is going to be silently updated without any notice or warning? As mentioned on the first page, what if I had an emergency and couldn't drive my car? What if someone died because I couldn't get them to a hospital in time? (sure, far fetched, but possible). I can fully understand and accept an update for safety reasons, but not without giving me some notice as to when and why and to expect my car to be immobilized during a timer period that I specified.

16.2 must have been important to all cars, not just pre-refresh. It was only the second update ever (in over 2.5 years of simultaneously owning two Model S) that both of our cars got an update pushed the very same night. One of them has the old nosecone, the other one is a 3/2018 build, no "oval front intake grill", both got the update. The only other time both cars got the update on the same night was when Tesla rolled out the much increased autopilot nags.
Got it. So I guess the battery design issue not only happened on older model S but also pre 2017 version if the update is really about BMS that Tesla's talking about since the Shanghai fire incident. If not then that's interesting why they forced the update.