Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Forgot to Add the Power Liftgate on Brother's New Car!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the PLG is now standard feature as of 4/16 on MS 75 the order got mixed up because they did not follow through the change with production... i know it was not intentional... but it is still a mistake ....that they should make good on ... and accepting the car with nothing to make up for the lack of a PLG is not right

adding my last post ... the reason Telsa resolution is bad is that you order a vehicle wait anxiously 6 weeks... check my Tesla every day :) ...then they deliver a vehicle but not what you ordered and their answer is wait another month we will make you another vehicle....that does not seem appropriate ... its not like returning a rare hamburger waiting for the waiter to bring you a well done hamburger . :)

Reactions: reghoustonguy
Yeah it kind of is. Sh*t happens as they say and people deal with it the best they can. Offering to make a new car (with some wait) or accept as is I think is totally fair. As it is, my understanding is the person signed a contract for lower battery car and Tesla in goodwill was willing to give them more than what they contracted and paid for. I think the offer could have easily been wait for a new car, accept the one made by mistake if the purchaser was happy enough with it (after all he didn't pay for the PLG to begin with and wasn't expecting under his contract) or get your money back.

Last edited:
wow
Sh*t happens as they say and people deal with it the best they can. Apart from offering to make someone a new car, which they did, should they then upgrade the car to like a 100D or something? Offering to make a new car (with some wait) or accept as is I think is totally fair. As it is, my guess is the person signed a contract for lower battery car and Tesla in goodwill was willing to give them more than what they contracted and paid for. I think the offer could have easily been wait for a new car, accept the one made by mistake if the purchaser was happy enough with it (after all he didn't pay for the PLG to begin with and wasn't expecting under his contract) or get your money back.
WOW ....do you work for Tesla? ....he did pay for it $70 K plus ...is this Elon behind the mask?

One negative about the power liftgate is if you have a lower garage door. When I open my trunk, it flies up and scrapes my garage door hardware mounted on my ceiling. I always try to catch it to prevent any dings. With a manual liftgate, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. Most probably won't have this issue though.

One negative about the power liftgate is if you have a lower garage door. When I open my trunk, it flies up and scrapes my garage door hardware mounted on my ceiling. I always try to catch it to prevent any dings. With a manual liftgate, this wouldn't be as much of an issue. Most probably won't have this issue though.

If you aren't aware, from page 10 of the Owners Manual:

Adjusting the Opening Height If Model S is equipped with a powered liftgate, you can adjust its opening height to make it easier to reach: 1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it to the desired opening height. 2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds until you hear a confirmation chime. 3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.

If you aren't aware, from page 10 of the Owners Manual:

Adjusting the Opening Height If Model S is equipped with a powered liftgate, you can adjust its opening height to make it easier to reach: 1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it to the desired opening height. 2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for two seconds until you hear a confirmation chime. 3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.
Thanks!!! I did not know this! I only read the manual 20 times before I got the car!

I personally feel that Tesla's offer to the OP's brother to build a new car was (and is) a perfectly reasonable and fair option to offer in a situation like this. What seems "unreasonable" is choosing to keep the car, and taking delivery of it, but then changing your mind over the decision after-the-fact, and expecting some type of compensation/additional discount/free service/etc for it. There are no do-overs once you agree to the terms and acceptance of the deal.

My 75 did not come with the power liftgate and I initially didn't think it would be a big deal. In day-to-day practicality, that was my first remorse so I got the aftermarket kit for it. While it did its job, it was definitely not like the OEM one.... In my own do-over, I ended up choosing the premium package for sure.

The issue most of us in this situation have is that we were in the 7-day window when the changes were made to pricing and making the PLG standard. We were more than willing to cancel our orders and place a new one under the new pricebook which would have guaranteed the correct vehicle, but were told by our OAs that it wasn't necessary.

We took them at their word and ended up paying for it by either getting a vehicle without a feature we were told would be included or, in my case, now having to wait another month for a new vehicle.

My question is was it truly a misunderstanding and the OAs were erroneously told it would be included, or was it the OAs looking to avoid cancellations because as I've come to understand any cancellation does not reflect well on the OA for that order.

The issue most of us in this situation have is that we were in the 7-day window when the changes were made to pricing and making the PLG standard. We were more than willing to cancel our orders and place a new one under the new pricebook which would have guaranteed the correct vehicle, but were told by our OAs that it wasn't necessary.

We took them at their word and ended up paying for it by either getting a vehicle without a feature we were told would be included or, in my case, now having to wait another month for a new vehicle.

My question is was it truly a misunderstanding and the OAs were erroneously told it would be included, or was it the OAs looking to avoid cancellations because as I've come to understand any cancellation does not reflect well on the OA for that order.

I think we get that, but you did the right thing and chose a rebuild. Yea the extra waiting time sucks but you made the correct decision.

In the OP's question and situation (which is really more of a sound-off rather than a question) was if his brother should have Tesla rebuild them a car (which I can't see how thats possible if he already made that decision to keep it when he was presented with the offer).

When a factory spits these cars at lightning speed, I am sure details get missed from what an OA is told, vs factory production. Things happen and in this case, it did and these cars that were in the middle of the swtich slipped through the system. Hence their offer to make it right by building a new one for the parties affected... again, it does suck having to wait, but one shouldn't feel entitled to additional freebies or a do-over once they make their decision. its really that simple. Maybe he can get a polo shirt or an radio flyer car as a token of appreciation.... doesn't hurt to ask. Heck the original timeframe is 3 months anyways when you order a Tesla, the fact that they are getting built and delivered at a much shorter time frame is actually already a good thing... (except for these cases of course).

What Tesla should have offered is to build a new car while holding the trade-in value, so the customer can keep on driving their current car until new car is ready. Or offer a loaner car for the duration. Or offer an inventory car instead at a discount to make it up to the customer (maybe they get free pano instead of the glass roof). Or simply offer a cash discount, say take the PUP charge off (especially that the PUP was supposed to include it in the old configuration), or free extended warranty, or free EAP or FSD or fast charging. So many different options.

Question for the OP, was your brother's original 60 ordered with the power liftgate?

@Btrflyl8e No, he opted out of the PUP in his original order - so no power liftgate.

@whitex Yes, it would've been nice if he had other options. He was only presented with:
  1. take the car as is, or...
  2. go back home and wait another month
I'm sure if he was presented with another option like "use this loaner for a month until your new build is ready", then he would've taken that. Assuming Tesla admits this was a goof up on their end.

Nonetheless, he is still very excited about his new MS. His situation is pretty sweet. To offset his monthly payments, he just got a buddy to move into a vacant room in his house. That person's rent is exactly his monthly payment. Works for him since he's 28 and not married yet.