Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Forgot to Add the Power Liftgate on Brother's New Car!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brother took delivery of his new MS75 yesterday. He placed his order a few days before Tesla got rid of the MS60 and made the 75 the base model with auto liftgate and glass roof standard. His original order was a MS 60 with EA/glass roof, but Tesla was able to convert his order to a 75 with glass roof/auto liftgate standard while he was still in the 7 day confirmation window. The stars aligned, and everything seemed to be in his favor.

Fast forward 1.5 months to delivery - yesterday he goes and realizes everything is perfect, but they forgot the power liftgate. Tesla gave him two options: accept as is or wait another month so they can build another car with the power liftgate. He accepted as is, and I can't blame him. I understand the excitement to get your new Tesla and it's 95% perfect. However I don't think he quite understands how awesome the power liftgate is. I don't have it on my MS, and it's the one feature I wish I did have. I've seen the DIY option, but that's last, last resort.

Any suggestions/advice/input is appreciated. I'm not sure if it's too late for him since he already "accepted" delivery and signed for the car. Unfortunately, his purchase agreement does not have "power liftgate" on there either. All he has is an email stating they'll change the order for him - no worries. Is this something worth fighting? Can he even do anything since he already signed?

• Informative
Reactions: Zero CO2
Funnny how you brought this up, I had just purchased all the necessary parts to add an OEM tesla power liftgate and if anyone has a guide or how to do it please let me know. Also if you would like the guy I purchased this parts from I could pass on his number, I just bought a bunch of parts from him with a home link reotfit and power liftgate.

Funnny how you brought this up, I had just purchased all the necessary parts to add an OEM tesla power liftgate and if anyone has a guide or how to do it please let me know. Also if you would like the guy I purchased this parts from I could pass on his number, I just bought a bunch of parts from him with a home link reotfit and power liftgate.

Here is a thread with good info. You can also purchase the stock switch DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Tesla already gave your Brother a great deal. They also offered to allow him to take his car without the power lift gate or wait till they built him a new one as an option.

He made his decision, and the deal is done.

When you are offered the choice between the Red Pill and the Blue Pill you do not get a "Do-over"

Reactions: pilotSteve
I am in the same boat ... my DS indicated they did not include the PLG on my M75 , the OA offered me one year of service .. i don't think that cuts it .. I think they should figure out how to add the lift-gate in the SC ... seems to me it can be done ... as other Tesla owners have DIY it....

I am thinking I will demand the lift gate .. it is something they should be able to install at the SC ....any thoughts ?

I think he's already made his decision. Sounds like Tesla was decent to offer him the choice. I guess my question to you would be "is he regretting his decision?" Lots of people on the forum have stated they didn't care about an automatic lift gate and it's not clear he does, but sounds more like you do. My opinion and just a guess would be that he made his decision and took the car so decision made as far as Tesla now willing to revisit it. If he's happy with it, then let it be and let him enjoy his car.

BTW I am assuming that the paper work with the State and such has already been processed.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat ... my DS indicated they did not include the PLG on my M75 , the OA offered me one year of service .. i don't think that cuts it .. I think they should figure out how to add the lift-gate in the SC ... seems to me it can be done ... as other Tesla owners have DIY it....

I am thinking I will demand the lift gate .. it is something they should be able to install at the SC ....any thoughts ?

From reading around, other Tesla owners have DIY some certain 3rd party power lift gates. I haven't seen any reports of successfully installing an OEM one, and I've been looking as I'd like to add it to mine, if possible. I also called the Fremont SC and they said it's not possible without doing it while building the car.

I did not accept my car yet and if he is regretting his decision i think he has a good reason to .. we could have cancelled our orders if we were in the 7 day window and reordered with the new pricebook... we were all advised don't worry we will fix on our end from OA ... looks like they did not fix in his case ... I guarantee Telsa charges the the change fee once you are beyond the 7 day window ... he should have gotten the PLG in the original order Tesla made a mistake here and the are giving the customer a bad resolution in my mind .... this is a luxury vehicle... isn't it?

I did not accept my car yet and if he is regretting his decision i think he has a good reason to .. we could have cancelled our orders if we were in the 7 day window and reordered with the new pricebook... we were all advised don't worry we will fix on our end from OA ... looks like they did not fix in his case ... I guarantee Telsa charges the the change fee once you are beyond the 7 day window ... he should have gotten the PLG in the original order Tesla made a mistake here and the are giving the customer a bad resolution in my mind .... this is a luxury vehicle... isn't it?

So the order got messed up although I'm sure it wasn't intentional. They offered a new car to be built and gave that option. Don't see how they are giving the customer a bad resolution. It was his choice as it sounds like it was in your case. And if I'm not mistaken people committed and ordered their cars before the price/model changes were announced and they still tried to give people the option to change their minds after that time.