TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla frunk security flaw ?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Jeeps17, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I just watched a YouTube clip by Salomondrin that demonstrates how to easily open a Model X frunk with a screwdriver. It does set off the alarm if the car is locked, but would not prevent someone from grabbing the contents without too much hassle.

I assume this feature is to allow frunk access when the 12V battery is dead, but must admit some concern...

This may also apply to refreshed model S, but I posted it in the X sub forum given the video demonstration.

Skip to 8:40 to get to the relevant bits.

• Funny x 1
  2. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Yes. This is somewhat well known among Tesla owners especially if you have read the owners manual. I personally do not care for it being so easily accessible nor do I care for websites publicizing it for non-Tesla owner's "benefit"

• Like x 1
  3. Nick S

Nick S Flash - MX

This feature (access to frunk without key) is required to give first responders access to the battery cut off / disconnect located in the frunk, in case of an emergency.

4. siai47

siai47 Member

My 2014 era Model S has an internal trunk release in the front passenger area. As far as I know, there is no exterior release however I remember at some point in time that release was taken out of production.

5. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I have a classic P85 with the latch inside the cabin in the front passenger footwell, and had not heard about this change in the refreshed fascia (can't read all the threads !).

Unfortunately, a whole lot of people just learned about it today ...

6. docherf

docherf Member

That's crazy.

Why would tesla make it so easy?

7. DrivingTheFuture

Follow these guys on YouTube and looks like they exposed a way to break into Model X... They attract a decent amount of viewers so just wanted to post here for Tesla and also see if there is a good reason for this access point being in place (I.e. for security/ emergencies)

• Like x 1
  8. zackmilo

zackmilo No chrome for me!

I think it is for the fire release. In the video Alejandro didn't explain but if you can get into the frunk there is a battery cut off switch for fire personnel in case of an emergency.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Nauti-Boy

Nauti-Boy Member

A video explaining what the access is for.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  10. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

So emergency responders can disconnect the battery quickly. A few seconds more and your car could burn down and they wouldn't be able to hose it down because of the battery being still connected.

11. ToddS

ToddS Member

^^^ HIGHLY recommend subscribing to Like Tesla. Very informative!

12. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

So anyone with a YouTube account and a screwdriver can pop your Frunk and disable your car by cutting the battery connection??

That seems ridiculous.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

They can also disable your car by slashing tires, breaking your lights or smashing your windshield.

• Funny x 3
  14. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

:D
    "They can also disable your car by slashing tires, breaking your lights or smashing your windshield."

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

th.jpeg

• Funny x 1
  16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Most ICE cars one can reach in and cut a battery cable from the bottom. Even easier, cut the fuel line.

Now, most ICE cars don't claim storage available in the trunk... so that is a risk/problem.

• Funny x 1
  17. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Your trunk is still the best bet for safe storage. It is safer than frunk. Yes, the valet can't open the frunk but can get to the trunk but most of the times when you valet, there shouldn't be anything valuable left in the car. Anyways, valeting your X..not a good idea!

18. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

My ICE car requires removing a lower plate, difficult to do without jacking up the car and requires removing over ten screws. Not something likely to happen in a hurry by a prankster or vandal or thief.

I agree with you that having your belongings easily stolen is also a real problem.

The Tesla is a much nicer car than my ICE, but with what seems less thought-through aspects.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

If you have a better safety design in mind for emergency responders access to disengage the battery, you should write to Tesla. I am sure they will happily consider it.

• Funny x 1
  20. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

The fact that the contents of the frunk are hidden is typically good enough. Unless someone sees you loading your frunk, it's a huge risk for someone to try to break in without knowing what's there. Typically, thieves need an incentive (eg. visually seeing something desirable) before they attempt to break-in.