Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla frunk security flaw ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeps17

Cath Jockey in a P85
Mar 17, 2012
Montreal, Canada
I just watched a YouTube clip by Salomondrin that demonstrates how to easily open a Model X frunk with a screwdriver. It does set off the alarm if the car is locked, but would not prevent someone from grabbing the contents without too much hassle.

I assume this feature is to allow frunk access when the 12V battery is dead, but must admit some concern...

This may also apply to refreshed model S, but I posted it in the X sub forum given the video demonstration.

Skip to 8:40 to get to the relevant bits.

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
Yes. This is somewhat well known among Tesla owners especially if you have read the owners manual. I personally do not care for it being so easily accessible nor do I care for websites publicizing it for non-Tesla owner's "benefit"

Reactions: ahtlys
Yes. This is somewhat well known among Tesla owners especially if you have read the owners manual. I personally do not care for it being so easily accessible nor do I care for websites publicizing it for non-Tesla owner's "benefit"

I have a classic P85 with the latch inside the cabin in the front passenger footwell, and had not heard about this change in the refreshed fascia (can't read all the threads !).

Unfortunately, a whole lot of people just learned about it today ...

Follow these guys on YouTube and looks like they exposed a way to break into Model X... They attract a decent amount of viewers so just wanted to post here for Tesla and also see if there is a good reason for this access point being in place (I.e. for security/ emergencies)

Reactions: diesel
Follow these guys on YouTube and looks like they exposed a way to break into Model X... They attract a decent amount of viewers so just wanted to post here for Tesla and also see if there is a good reason for this access point being in place (I.e. for security/ emergencies)

I think it is for the fire release. In the video Alejandro didn't explain but if you can get into the frunk there is a battery cut off switch for fire personnel in case of an emergency.

th.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Jimmy 1
My ICE car requires removing a lower plate, difficult to do without jacking up the car and requires removing over ten screws. Not something likely to happen in a hurry by a prankster or vandal or thief.

I agree with you that having your belongings easily stolen is also a real problem.

The Tesla is a much nicer car than my ICE, but with what seems less thought-through aspects.

The fact that the contents of the frunk are hidden is typically good enough. Unless someone sees you loading your frunk, it's a huge risk for someone to try to break in without knowing what's there. Typically, thieves need an incentive (eg. visually seeing something desirable) before they attempt to break-in.