Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Functional Workarounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hairyman

Jul 24, 2019
Australia
So we don’t always have particular software features straight out of the box.

To save a bit of frustration I thought a thread where we could share solutions to some annoying problems. Not software or hardware hacks, but things that solve the problems nevertheless.

I’ll start with:

Lack of Waypoints in Navigation Software
I’m getting around this by exporting the Google Maps locations of the individual waypoints on my phone to my calendar. I have shared my calendar with the car and I can pull up the calendar in the car and click to navigate to the relevant destination as I go. Not perfect, but easier to manage than reading from a list and doing it in the car after every stop.

Autopilot Tries Kill Me When Lanes Merge
This happens when two lanes merge into one with the car in the left lane and the left lane is the one that is disappearing. The car keeps to the left of the lane marker and you end up on the shoulder of the road. @MrAustraliaTax says: Change over to the right (continuing) lane before the left lane runs out - which seems fairly evident, but a few people have reported the behaviour so expectations of the car’s performance are not being met. It has saved me from finding out by myself and I’m grateful for that.

@dmaunder notes that without FSD you will need to re-engage autosteer after changing lanes.

Reactions: Nickdp
Autopilot Tries Kill Me When Lanes Merge
This happens when two lanes merge into one with the car in the left lane and the left lane is the one that is disappearing. The car keeps to the left of the lane marker and you end up on the shoulder of the road. @MrAustraliaTax says: Change over to the right (continuing) lane before the left lane runs out - which seems fairly evident, but a few people have reported the behaviour so expectations of the car’s performance are not being met. It has saved me from finding out by myself and I’m grateful for that.

@dmaunder notes that without FSD you will need to re-engage autosteer after changing lanes.
Fear not, that will be solved with full self driving to be released in 2016....make that 17....make that 18....make that end of 2019....

Incorrect Speed Limits etc in Navigation Software

@tessiestraya Tesla Model 3 in Australia pointed out that Tesla uses openstreetmap.org for its navigation information.

This is an open source mapping system that users can edit. You can create an account and correct errors as you find them.

Which is nice that you can sort things out for yourself rather than waiting for automated updates, but is unfortunate that you have to sort things out for yourself rather than getting automated updates.

Voice Commands

This is not really a workaround, just a list collated from various places and plonked here because it will be easy for me to find. At the moment the range of functions under voice control seems fairly limited.

Thanks to @TEG,

NAVIGATION
"Navigate to <place>"
“Where is the nearest <place>?”
"Drive to the <xxx> Supercharger"
"Take me to a <point of interest>"
“Drive home” (if you configured a home address)
"Navigate to work" (if you configured a work address)
"Cancel Trip"
"Cancel Navigation"

TELEPHONE
“Call <name>”
"Dial <name>"

MUSIC ( It searches the streaming music services. )
“Play <song/artist/genre>”
“Play Smooth Jazz”
"Listen to Rolling Stones"

OTHERS
“bug report” (then describe the problem.)
"ho ho ho" (activates Santa mode easter egg.)

If you find more stuff you can add it to the document here: Tesla Voice Commands

• Informative
Reactions: Shrike_AU
Cruise Control Not Available

My car lost the speed limit display and would not engage TACC. It also was not recognising lanes, but could see other cars and the proximity sensors were working.

This apparently happens from time to time and there is a solution from that Tesla sends out. It took me a little time to find, so here it is:

Turn Sentry off.

Remove USB drive.

Allow vehicle to sleep.

(Magic happens)

Car back to normal on waking.

I did initially do the two buttons and foot on the brake reset and that did not change the behaviour. After that I removed the USB and that seemed to restore the lane recognition although it was much more wobbly than usual and TACC did not come back. After a short sleep at home all was good again.

Voice Commands

This is not really a workaround, just a list collated from various places and plonked here because it will be easy for me to find. At the moment the range of functions under voice control seems fairly limited.

Thanks to @TEG,

NAVIGATION
"Navigate to <place>"
“Where is the nearest <place>?”
"Drive to the <xxx> Supercharger"
"Take me to a <point of interest>"
“Drive home” (if you configured a home address)
"Navigate to work" (if you configured a work address)
"Cancel Trip"
"Cancel Navigation"

TELEPHONE
“Call <name>”
"Dial <name>"

MUSIC ( It searches the streaming music services. )
“Play <song/artist/genre>”
“Play Smooth Jazz”
"Listen to Rolling Stones"

OTHERS
“bug report” (then describe the problem.)
"ho ho ho" (activates Santa mode easter egg.)

If you find more stuff you can add it to the document here: Tesla Voice Commands

another one.... "Keep Summer safe" for Rick and Morty fans. Turns on sentry

Maybe collate a sticky to add commands and keep this thread concise?