Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than possibly giving a more defined timeline (or an update to the previously given timeline)... None. Just a comment about how the gigafactory is still on track for production in 2016/2017 will be likely all we will get. Anything more would be nice, but I don't know what else there is to say at this point about the subject.

Edit: Although, comments about how the buildout will affect their spending over the next year or so would be nice, since I believe most of the money Tesla is going to spend on this project is happening between now and the end of 2015.

There could be more details about other non-Panasonic partners. Elon recently described at a very high level raw materials would flow into Sumitomo and Hitachi for precursors, then into Panasonic for cells, then to Tesla for packs.. his as-a-matter-of-fact tone implied that at least those two were on board with the Gigafactory.

There could be more details about other non-Panasonic partners. Elon recently described at a very high level raw materials would flow into Sumitomo and Hitachi for precursors, then into Panasonic for cells, then to Tesla for packs.. his as-a-matter-of-fact tone implied that at least those two were on board with the Gigafactory.

Statements about final commitments of funding from interested third parties would be helpful and could be presented, especially since they said something like 5-10% of the funding would come from those sources. I hadn't thought about that since I was treating that as already "in the bag" as it were without remembering that they hadn't really locked those details in yet.

Statements about final commitments of funding from interested third parties would be helpful and could be presented, especially since they said something like 5-10% of the funding would come from those sources. I hadn't thought about that since I was treating that as already "in the bag" as it were without remembering that they hadn't really locked those details in yet.

Personally I'm not as worried about funding (TM could easily fund that portion too if necessary). I see it more of having the supply chain lined up with no logistics bottlenecks, particularly with raw material (nickel, cobalt, lithium, graphite) suppliers. They talked about streamlining the process and even bypassing metals exchanges to go straight from mine to GF. This would require a mutual commitment with the mining companies and very large contracts signed on paper. If these mining companies have to ramp up production to deliver the resources, two years is a very short time if they need to spend significant capex develop a site.

The sooner everyone is signed on formally with contracts and all, the less likely a delay from any one ingredient missing for the battery brew.

From 2014 Q3 Earning Report.

"Together with Panasonic we are making good progress toward first cell production in 2016, slightly earlier than originally scheduled. Starting operations earlier will reduce ramp-up risks for Model 3 and provide some potential expansion capacity for Model S and Model X."

Huge!!!

Image from the actual site from the shareholder's letter:
giga.JPG

Last edited:
I like JB's increased presence on the ER calls, he's clearly the Gigafactory guy and Elon defers to him on almost everything gigafactory related.

He is THE battery guy at Tesla. Anything battery related goes to him (which is why him being the CTO of a car and stationary energy storage company makes a LOT of sense!)

- - - Updated - - -

Something I also found new and interesting in the shareholder letter (I didn't catch all of the call but didn't hear anything that clarified this further)

Future capacity investments extend to the Gigafactory where we have already started to pour concrete for the foundation. A modular build strategy is enabling us to scale construction, capital requirements and capacity commensurate with growing demand. Together with Panasonic we are making good progress toward first cell production in 2016, slightly earlier than originally scheduled. Starting operations earlier will reduce ramp-up risks for Model 3 and provide some potential expansion capacity for Model S and Model X.

So I assume this means that the way they are coming online by 2016 is that they won't be fully finished building the whole building but they will have at least some part of it finished enough that they can start manufacturing there while they continue to build outward. With about 10,000 acres at their disposal and 3,000 acres just for factory space they certainly have plenty of room to continue to expand the physical building outward as needed. This is a really cool way of building!

I had always assumed that they basically build out in staged modules. Maybe in Suminoe sized modules, like 7-9kWh at a time (variance based on the fact that the cells are likely to have more power). Then they just duplicate it over and over. That's basically 25% at a time. Likely by 2017, we're talking 2 modules online.

I had always assumed that they basically build out in staged modules.

Of course, and what I've been trying to tell the dolts over at SA for a while now. Since Panasonic has previously built complete factories in less than 2 years I was quite certain part of the GF would be operational within a similar time frame. The factory need not be completed to start production, once they have a roof, 4 walls, and power, they can start installing and testing a production line, then expand as needed.

Of course, and what I've been trying to tell the dolts over at SA for a while now. Since Panasonic has previously built complete factories in less than 2 years I was quite certain part of the GF would be operational within a similar time frame. The factory need not be completed to start production, once they have a roof, 4 walls, and power, they can start installing and testing a production line, then expand as needed.

Right, I has assumed that they would not "fill the factory" so to speak of the bat as well. But the way this is described is more like building multiple tiny factories that connect together to form on giant factory. Meaning they would build out a full building but the size to fit stuff in it for 7-9kW (as suggested above). Then start building a second building right next to the existing first building. This has the benefit of not needing to wait for a 1000 acre building to be fully built before they can start moving in equipment and getting stuff rolling. Instead they build a tiny building maybe the size of 100-200 acres. And from the picture the groundwork seems segmented along those lines already.

But yeah, the important thing is that they don't have to spend money building giant empty buildings that won't be filled until much later.

You don't often see quotes like this except around here... :wink:

RT

I barely pay any attention to any other site or investor forums or what have you because they really suck to be honest... you can't get the information you need to piece together correct data. And I think all the FUDdites are too scared to post here because we shut them down too quickly. So you get some good clean discussion about the ongoings of Tesla/TSLA!

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Nov 05, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE via COMTEX) --
Polypore International, Inc.'s PPO, +24.17% Celgard, LLC subsidiary ("Polypore") and Panasonic Corporation (otcpk:pCRFY) ("Panasonic") are pleased to announce that they have signed a letter of intent to work together in the development of coated and uncoated Celgard® brand separators to meet Panasonic's requirements for their next generation cylindrical battery cell production for various applications globally. Upon successful completion of this development effort, it is expected that the parties will enter into a long term supply agreement.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/po...-ion-battery-separator-development-2014-11-05

Hmm. Polypore International is an American Co headquartered in Charlotte North Carolina.