Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so what is latest on opening date party? any info?
TIA
Oh, wait... you missed it?

It was awesome! So many Tesla drivers -- I've never seen so many Tesla's in one place! Elon and JB got up to talk then they mingled with the crowd for hours. And they handed out coupon codes to get a Model 3 at half price, and everyone in attendance got a free PowerWall.

You really should have come...

It was awesome! So many Tesla drivers -- I've never seen so many Tesla's in one place! Elon and JB got up to talk then they mingled with the crowd for hours. And they handed out coupon codes to get a Model 3 at half price, and everyone in attendance got a free PowerWall.

I resisted all the afternoon to answer just that! :)

I got two codes and I only need one.

Actually...
My favorite part was the live Spinal Tap reunion set - a full hour!! - to open the show. Anyone else notice Rob Reiner playing the cowbell in the back?
I never minded the techno, but this was a real thrill. My wife got Nigel to autograph ...well a personal item. :eek: Chance of a lifetime.

From the recent tour of the Gigafactory for lawmakers. Shows where phase 2 will be but the timeframe is cut off.

Screenshot 2016-03-17 10.24.42.png

Well with just a partial image and none of what was being said, it's too easy to take things out of context. Even the fact that it references "battery pack pro..." (which I assume is battery pack production, we don't know if it's PowerWall, PowerPack, or car batteries.

Not sure how to think about this. According to one of their quarterly SEC filings last year, phase 2 should have already been completed. But in this picture it still says "design in process". Hope this is a different "phase 2".

It could be "Phase 2 - Section 2" or something like that, implying the construction phase 2 has multiple sections, although that doesn't make a ton of sense. As you say, phase two of construction is supposed to have been completed already. The phases that they are referring to here could also be different than the one in the SEC filing, like battery production ramp phases for example. This is 100% speculation on my part.

Not sure how to think about this. According to one of their quarterly SEC filings last year, phase 2 should have already been completed. But in this picture it still says "design in process". Hope this is a different "phase 2".

It's cutoff you can't tell if 201x is 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 any time in the past after 2009 is valid text wise. Who knows how old the slide is. Maybe the next slide shows how things are the the cuttoff slide was what the original plan was years ago.

It's cutoff you can't tell if 201x is 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 any time in the past after 2009 is valid text wise. Who knows how old the slide is. Maybe the next slide shows how things are the the cuttoff slide was what the original plan was years ago.
It's not the 201x worries me, it's the "design in process". Also I think since this is yesterday lobbying attempt to NV, shouldn't the slides be freshly made?

Anyway, in Jan NV deemed progress on GF satisfactory. I may just be a little paranoid here.

It's not the 201x worries me, it's the "design in process". Also I think since this is yesterday lobbying attempt to NV, shouldn't the slides be freshly made?

Anyway, in Jan NV deemed progress on GF satisfactory. I may just be a little paranoid here.

It's not uncommon in tech presentations to have a new slideshow that includes slides from a prior presentation so the presenter can discuss how things have progressed or changed vs the old expectations.

Three events last week at Gigafactory1. As discussed above, Tesla and Solar City lobbied Nevada lawmakers on Wednesday evening. Earlier that day Leonard DeCaprio did some filming as part of a documentary on renewable energy. He stayed around for the lobbying event. The events were reported by Fortune (Why Nevada Legislators (Plus Leo DiCaprio) Visited Tesla's Gigafactory), EcoWatch (Musk, DiCaprio and Rive Talk the Future of Solar at Tesla Gigafactory) and the Las Vegas Review-Journal(Tesla officials show off progress at Gigafactory in Northern Nevada).

On Friday, Tesla held an event for local media as reported by the Reno Gazette(http://www.rgj.com/story/money/busi...inside-teslas-reno-area-gigafactory/81978520/) and ThisisReno (VIDEO: Inside the Tesla Gigafactory). The Model S test drive in the video on the ThisisReno site is fun to view. The RenoGazette article makes note that the original plan was to build the entire Gigafactory1 by 2017 and then begin production of cells and packs. That plan was abandoned (explains taking down some of the steel framework) for the current plan of installing production in each phase before starting the next phase.

'About 14 percent of the total expected factory space is constructed. The full project is expected to be completed in 2020, a Tesla spokesman said. That's an adjustment from the original construction schedule that pegged a completion date in October 2017.
"Originally, we were going to build the whole building all at once, but that didn't make a lot of sense," a spokesman said. "We needed to begin producing faster."
"We are stepping into it in modular fashion so that as we build we can learn from what we've built," he added.'​

Three events last week at Gigafactory1. As discussed above, Tesla and Solar City lobbied Nevada lawmakers on Wednesday evening. Earlier that day Leonard DeCaprio did some filming as part of a documentary on renewable energy. He stayed around for the lobbying event. The events were reported by Fortune (Why Nevada Legislators (Plus Leo DiCaprio) Visited Tesla's Gigafactory), EcoWatch (Musk, DiCaprio and Rive Talk the Future of Solar at Tesla Gigafactory) and the Las Vegas Review-Journal(Tesla officials show off progress at Gigafactory in Northern Nevada).

On Friday, Tesla held an event for local media as reported by the Reno Gazette(Here's our first look inside Tesla's Gigafactory) and ThisisReno (VIDEO: Inside the Tesla Gigafactory). The Model S test drive in the video on the ThisisReno site is fun to view. The RenoGazette article makes note that the original plan was to build the entire Gigafactory1 by 2017 and then begin production of cells and packs. That plan was abandoned (explains taking down some of the steel framework) for the current plan of installing production in each phase before starting the next phase.

'About 14 percent of the total expected factory space is constructed. The full project is expected to be completed in 2020, a Tesla spokesman said. That's an adjustment from the original construction schedule that pegged a completion date in October 2017.
"Originally, we were going to build the whole building all at once, but that didn't make a lot of sense," a spokesman said. "We needed to begin producing faster."
"We are stepping into it in modular fashion so that as we build we can learn from what we've built," he added.'​

Ah, ok. I can see what they are doing now from this still frame from the video. The black outline is what is currently built.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 12.29.11 PM.png

Last edited: