Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago someone on this forum encountered a truck at a truck stop that was carrying very large containers (likely containing manufacturing equipment) that I believe was headed for the GF. Pics were posted (do a search around here).

Taking a pause on exterior construction to build up the interior seems perfectly sensible to me. It makes sense to build the building in stages in concert with the ramp and availability of capital.

Speaking as a newer transplant here in the last 5 years. The Reno-Sparks region has experienced new construction housing boom before the gigafactory announcement but the pace has accelerated drastically since then. Apartments are in really short supply. They are in a housing competition with quite a few data centers newhires as well. Most people that I know that got hired to Gigafactory are living near Spanish spring (northeast portion of Sparks) area so commute time is probably around 25 minutes range. The traffic when I first moved here was not bad at all, you can get from far south end of Reno-Sparks to north end around 15 minutes (similar time from Somersett to east Sparks in the west-eastward fashion), now it would be at least 25 minutes when you are not in rush hour. The living standard is IMHO not bad at all coming from DFW. It depends on your location to affect your perception of how true the roaming Mustangs problems are. From my area they are definitely roaming, but where I am located has closed to 45 minutes commute to Gigafactory so I presume most Gigafactory people really won’t be having this experience. :)
I don't think anyone said that the roaming mustangs were a problem. And they definitely are there, a few wandered past while we were waiting in line for the Gigafactory opening, before they were letting people in to park.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I don't think anyone said that the roaming mustangs were a problem. And they definitely are there, a few wandered past while we were waiting in line for the Gigafactory opening, before they were letting people in to park.
I agree , i doubt it would be a problem for Gigafactory people at work. It is more of a problem when they chew up your trees in the yard and leaves giant dropping on your porch, like after they return to their rental houses...you just have to lean to work with the horses. Okay, okay it is more of my areas issue and I am only bringing it up since someone is asking about the condition of living in the Sparks area. :p

I agree , i doubt it would be a problem for Gigafactory people at work. It is more of a problem when they chew up your trees in the yard and leaves giant dropping on your porch, like after they return to their rental houses...you just have to lean to work with the horses. Okay, okay it is more of my areas issue and I am only bringing it up since someone is asking about the condition of living in the Sparks area. :p

So you work at GF? Cool. Tell us more. You know what we want know ;):rolleyes:

I think specially about the Y, they will build it in Fremont. I think they will work on improving the design of the S&X and as part of the redesign they will improve assembly productivity enough to consolitectgecrwo lines used for S&X. Small details like robots installing seats and a dozen othe bottlenecks will increase line speed and reduce the staffing bedded for SX.
I think a 20-30% productivity gain on the SX line is critical.

I think the semi will be assembled in Sparks, but the Roadster will be done in a smaller Site near Fremont. Lower volume and high price reduce pressure on productivity for the Roadster.

I thought Elon said the Model Y would not be built in Fremont due to lack of room. Didn't we learn recently that the semi will be built in Livermore where Tesla has already leased space.

I thought Elon said the Model Y would not be built in Fremont due to lack of room. Didn't we learn recently that the semi will be built in Livermore where Tesla has already leased space.

Yes, he did. Here's the relevant quote from the June 11th Shareholder's Meeting,

"Are you expecting a new plant to be built for the Model Y, yes, we are. I think the existing Gigafactory will probably supply the bat – will in fact, will supply the battery pack and drivetrains and motor and power electronics for the Model Y. But the Model Y vehicle plant will be a new plant, essentially a new Gigafactory that we are going to figure out the exact location of. But there is just no room at Fremont. We are bursting at the seams. I will say like, if you ask me like what’s their number one complaint, it’s parking. It’s like okay, we like practically had a riot the other day for parking. And I am like, sorry guys. What happens, we had a bunch of contractors come on site to install equipment for the Model 3 and we haven’t counted on the fact that there will be 500 extra people that showed up to install massive amounts of equipment, okay. Well, probably the parking lot was full. So therefore, it’s like a conservation of mass, conservation of volume as there is 500 people who can’t park. Anyway, it’s crazy how much parking lot is bringing about. So we are bursting at the seams at Fremont. So there is no way we could do Model Y at Fremont, it’s going to have to be somewhere else. And I think Fremont is just going to be focused on obviously S and X and then ramping up Model 3. I think we even have to transfer some of the things we do at Fremont to the Gigafactory just to allow for Model 3 expansion."

Note that this info came in June when the Model Y was going to be built on it's own unique platform. in August, during the Q3 earnings call, Elon's announced that they were reversing course, and that the Model Y would be build on the same platform as the Model 3 to speed up it's time to market. Whether that has any effect on the previous comment we just don't know.

Personally, I'm not sure Fremont could produce Tesla's two highest production vehicles under one roof so I think the original comment stands.

supposedly very recent photo
26734353_10155136372792374_5739050719666158764_n.jpg

supposedly very recent photo
26734353_10155136372792374_5739050719666158764_n.jpg
This looks like a very busy place. I can almost hear the buzz of work being done in every nook and cranny of this huge place. Look at how much material is being staged along the perimeter. Got to figure it will be tucked inside soon. Where do all these people live? Is Sparks big enough to house and school 1,000 folks, plus families? How about 10 times? Where will they park? The GF is amazing - and the human logistics needs some design too. Who does THAT part of the puzzle?

I'm not sure if anyone posted this, but a significant weather-related traffic accident "east of Sparks". Probably some workers heading to the GF and/or other warehouses out there. More customers for the model 3.;)
Winter Storm Leads to Multiple Pileups in Reno Area; Injuries Reported | The Weather Channel
I had to drive from Tahoe to Reno to pick up my wife at the airport last night. A ferocious cold snowstorm made the roads hazardous. Fortunately, I made it home and back just fine (the 85D handles great in snow but from the looks of those pileups, it would have been impossible to avoid).

I guess it doesn't matter much because of sun angle but I was a bit surprised at the orientation of the panel layout. I would expect East West rows with southern inclanation instead of North South. Maybe the panels are mounted flat with no angle so it doesn't matter.