Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla .. going downhill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to cancel my model X and Y orders. So many complaints and hard time getting issues fixed. I guess I'm looking for some folks to post positive experiences hoping that the vast majority of vehicles are trouble free.

I'm extremely picky, and easily annoyed with any issues in the products I purchase. That being said...

My Model X has been in service a total of 6 times in the last year. 5 for squeaks and rattles and 1 for A/C malfunction (in the first month, manufacturing defect). Teslas are rock-solid and seldom ever strand anyone like German cars do. Tesla service, although sometimes frustrating, is never worse than BMW or Audi or Mercedes dealerships here in America. Tesla Service is owned by Tesla, not delegated to some local crooks that break stuff on your car so you keep coming back.

Guess what? I love my car and would never buy anything else if I had the chance. My next car will be a Tesla, and my family is slowly converting to Tesla. Don't cancel your order. It'll be the best vehicle you've ever owned.

If you still want to cancel, good riddance, we're a big happy family that love our cars. Tesla doesn't need any more haters right now.

If you still want to cancel, good riddance, we're a big happy family that love our cars. Tesla doesn't need any more haters right now.

Harsh.

I was all in until I started reading through the various forums and there is an unfortunate common tone that is developing that lines up with my experience and other Tesla owners in my area so far .. near impossible to contact anyone if you need service or just have questions.

I can't get a response from Tesla even from their online shop ... weeks have gone by .. I get the "we'll get back to you" autoreply but that's it ... It's a problem ... I have three $1100 charges on my card from 1 order and still no confirmation of the order being receive or shipped. I've since re-ordered wall charges to meet my electrician's deadline and they shipped the next day.

I'm a huge Tesla fanboy and it's kind of depressing tbh. I've wanted one for years and finally decided to switch.

Here's hoping that the reflection on the forums is the exception and not the rule.

I'm extremely picky, and easily annoyed with any issues in the products I purchase. That being said...

My Model X has been in service a total of 6 times in the last year. 5 for squeaks and rattles and 1 for A/C malfunction (in the first month, manufacturing defect). Teslas are rock-solid and seldom ever strand anyone like German cars do. Tesla service, although sometimes frustrating, is never worse than BMW or Audi or Mercedes dealerships here in America. Tesla Service is owned by Tesla, not delegated to some local crooks that break stuff on your car so you keep coming back.

Guess what? I love my car and would never buy anything else if I had the chance. My next car will be a Tesla, and my family is slowly converting to Tesla. Don't cancel your order. It'll be the best vehicle you've ever owned.

??? "strand anyone like German cars do. Tesla service, although sometimes frustrating, is never worse than BMW or Audi or Mercedes dealerships here in America."?

I've owned nothing BUT German cars and have never been stranded once. All cars can break down, this isn't something specific to just German cars either. But heck, there are plenty of posts on this very forum of people getting stranded and needing to call Tesla to either connect to the car, send a tech or flatbed it to them. You do realize that Elon himself was forced to address the service issues people have been complaining about, right?
Elon Musk on Twitter
Is Tesla Service a Vulnerability for Elon Musk? - Market Realist
Elon Musk's plan to fix Tesla's troubled service operation isn't working, according to nearly 5,000 Model 3 owners — but there's one big exception

Again, Tesla is now forcing people to schedule service through the app, they discourage calling and speaking to a human. If I needed service for any of my cars, one phone call and I was scheduled. And never once did I experience waiting weeks or even months for parts (again, Musk acknowledges that as well). No one questions whether their cars are great, but to make these absurd blanket statements when the very site you are posting on refutes them, is bizarre.

You need to realize that this is a forum and you will mostly see negatives, owners who are happy usually never post that on a forum. I developed a relationship with my service advisor from day one 6 years ago and have had great service.
Nah, there's plenty of people here who have posted along the lines of "used to love them, but service is now a joke, etc". The problem is, when you are part of a new community trying to gain a foothold, and are invested in it one way or another...it's human nature not to badmouth as it can make you feel somewhat foolish for being an early vocal adopter. It would be like the person that brags to coworkers how great their marriage is...you think when they separate/divorce that those people will be the first ones informed? ;):D

Reactions: Wooloomooloo
I'm about to cancel my model X and Y orders. So many complaints and hard time getting issues fixed. I guess I'm looking for some folks to post positive experiences hoping that the vast majority of vehicles are trouble free.

You definitely need to understand that this is a forum and that as most all forums, 90% complaining generally relates to 95+% satisfied customers. Most people find a forum as a place to complain.

My Model 3 experience has been great. First, no need to visit experience, except for a glass roof cracked by a rock chip. They had it replaced and I went ahead and got new tires in less than a day. Great people Great Service.
Just had a friend get a new car before Christmas. Visited a store on Thursday, found an inventory car (yes, she could have done it online), ordered, and picked up on Saturday with that Tesla grin emblazoned.

I've got over 30,000 miles on my car. Tesla life is great!

135,000 KM (approx. 81,000 miles) on my model S since March 2015. My repair list in 5 years: AC repair, 12 volt battery replacement (known issue), and a door handle replacement (known issue with Model S). All handled flawlessly and painlessly by Tesla Service. The door handle was done via a Ranger - mobile service, 2 days after I booked it on-line

Also - I blew out a tire (my fault) on a long weekend, in a remote vacation area, and had a "loaner" wheel driven up to me by mobile service, in 3 hours after the call. I picked up my wheel and new tire from the service centre on the following Tuesday. Cost: the tire.
Tesla service has been great for me.

Last edited:
I am so happy being able to manage service via the app. I hate being on hold so I then can talk to know nothing drone at Toyota.

Tesla X with 24,000 miles, minimal problems ( all related to user error). Love the remote service. This the best car I’ve ever had. Ordered a Cybrtrck, wife wants a Y, as does my daughter.

YMMV.

A Ferrari is terrible in snow. A pickup is a pain in NYC. A Camry doesn’t work with four kids. An EV is not for everyone - no car is.

The cars are amazing - unlike any other experience. I just got mine..a couple bugs - but I LOVE it.

Same experience here, love my model 3. 7,000 miles in 4 months with only a couple minor issues that the mobile service came and fixed with no issue.

Owned all Audi's before the Tesla... an A6, A3 and then an Allroad. I was worried that i'd miss them... not even a bit!

Reactions: spectrum
5/15 Model S - 81k miles. Hasn't been to SC in 2 years and 31k miles. The last 2 services were 12V battery replacement and airbag recall - done in garage at work by mobile. The only issue I have had is 1/2 shafts replaced before warranty went out for clicking.

3/19 Model 3 - 11k miles. Delivered to our house. Has never been to SC.

Yeah - what a mess!

All Tesla service is local. Some folks live near a great service center and have wonderful experiences, others not so much. Best thing is to go to some local Tesla meetups/cars and coffee, etc and ask other owners what their experience is like at your nearest service center. You can also call the service center yourself and test how easy or not it is to get a hold of someone on the phone. Good chance to also ask what their loaner policy is, many service centers are moving to Uber credits vs loaner cars.

I think Cali is prob the place with most issues getting quick service just to the insane concentration of Teslas. That said, if you go on any forum for any car manufacturer a lot of posts will be about issues - because that's what people do. Every car or motorcycle I've had, I've had people come into facebook groups and forums saying "man there's so many issues maybe I shouldn't get one". Tesla actually has a pretty high number of people posting positive experiences(mostly other forums are due to people driving in snow or modding). But yes, rarely is someone going to post "dear community, just wanted to tell you about my day that went as planned."

Reactions: rush6410
TMC posts are not a random sample of all owners. All car forums tend to attract owners who have issues/complaints with their cars compared to owners who visit to post “Everything worked fine on my car today”.

It’s a news headline when “Man bites dog” but not a headline when “Dog bites man”.

That said, of course owner complaints can be legitimate, I am not dismissing them. And I will readily admit that I think the X Falcon Wing doors were a design mistake; yes, they work, but their advantages are modest compared to their disadvantages.

I’ve owned only Teslas for over 5 years. The cars are amazing, revolutionary, it’s like driving the future. They are not perfect, of course. But I’m very happy with my cars and have no plans to buy from any other manufacturer in the future. If you want the best long range EV on the market, buy a Tesla.

Owned Model S, X, and 3. All great cars! I live 350 miles from a service center and all my repairs have been at my house! All Tesla Technicians have been great and taken care of any problems with ease, love the mobile service. Heck they have brought me a loaner Tesla Model S from Dallas, picked mine up, repaired it, brought it back in a few days! Excellent service all the way around.

Rotated my Model 3 Tires right in my driveway last time they were here!

Just bought a new Model S Raven Performance Ludicrous, hands down best car I'll ever own with incredible range! Don't cancel, you'll love the cars! And they only get better!!

I absolutely love my XP100D!! Kids always say Gun it Dad! Much better than sitting in line for 1 hour at an amusement park. It is my favorite car to drive by far! Have also totaled a Model S without one scratch or sore part in my body. I am frustrated that I didn’t buy their stock at $220!!

Attachments

• EA026894-8995-44D9-A3E9-3B9C12C965E3.jpeg
    EA026894-8995-44D9-A3E9-3B9C12C965E3.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 76
  • EDA3D271-F003-464F-90FB-518C3AB9B046.jpeg
    EDA3D271-F003-464F-90FB-518C3AB9B046.jpeg
    973.2 KB · Views: 58
  • C6D65374-14FC-4455-B68E-E2BE13B674D3.jpeg
    C6D65374-14FC-4455-B68E-E2BE13B674D3.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: spectrum
Ditto all the good stuff. Almost 4 years and 120,000 miles. Replaced a door handle; 12v battery; headlight. My service experience has also been good. It's the only EV choice from reasonable time road trips and I don't see anything but a Tesla in my future. Tesla has some growing problems but the car itself is unlike any other. Once you try it you will see.