Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Graphical Log Parser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our web hosting company moved our server to a new data center on Saturday, and the idiots forgot to update the DNS.

I wasn't able to get a response from tech support until today. I'm on the phone with them right now. For the second time.

My command-line VMS parser comes in both Mac and Windows flavors. It's too nerdy for most owners, but if you know your way around a command line it lets you get all the data that's known from the Roadster log files.

I've seen the output of your VMS parser Tom and its brilliant,
BUT i'm no nerd :) (OK I am but more on mechanical stuff, CAD etc.)

I've seen the guide, but still need an 'idiots guide' real basic stupid stuff like: to get THIS (cool graph example often seen) type in "xxxxxx/YYYYYYY/ZZZZZZZZ" etc
here's hoping :)

The parser is great. I just started using it again for the first time in a couple years and am wondering if anyone knows:

1) Running it on my new Windows 8 notebook, the "Export Graph" functionality fails. Does anyone know of a fix or workaround?
When I hit the ok to save it to the desired path and file name, I get the following popup: "The parameter is incorrect" and the resulting file is of zero size (I guess the file open succeeded but then writing failed).
Also, I was trying to save as csv; there are 2 other optional file types, but their type names appear to be gibberish (maybe this is related to the failure above?).

2) Can I change the limits on the Y-axis? I thought you could but don't see a way. I.e., most of the time I don't get near 130 MPH, so I would get better displaying plots with a lower maximum.

Hmm... I really dislike Windows 8 so I must confess I haven't tested on it. When I have a moment I'll investigate.

Right now the vertical scale is not adjustable. I would like to point out, though, that the window is resizable, so you can scale up your data by making the graph bigger.

The parser is great. I just started using it again for the first time in a couple years and am wondering if anyone knows:

1) Running it on my new Windows 8 notebook, the "Export Graph" functionality fails. Does anyone know of a fix or workaround?
When I hit the ok to save it to the desired path and file name, I get the following popup: "The parameter is incorrect" and the resulting file is of zero size (I guess the file open succeeded but then writing failed).
Also, I was trying to save as csv; there are 2 other optional file types, but their type names appear to be gibberish (maybe this is related to the failure above?).

2) Can I change the limits on the Y-axis? I thought you could but don't see a way. I.e., most of the time I don't get near 130 MPH, so I would get better displaying plots with a lower maximum.

Is there a JAVA update available for your computer? Looks like the parameter specifying the file destination is corrupt, so the resulting file is null...

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I do resize the TeslaGLOP to maximize its size on the screen.
I know that I can also use the non-graphical parser to get data like TeslaGLOP exports. It is very useful to be able to look around in the data using TeslaGLOP and then use the other parser to pull out the data that I want to export.

Hi Doug_G,

I know it's been a while since you cracked open the code, but if you're in the mood for some tweaking of the Graphical Parser, I have three small? suggestions:

1. When you put the cursor over a graph, there's a nice vertical line that shows up at that location. It would be helpful (though probably not what the graphics library supports) if the line were to extend to all of the other graphs on the screen, so you can line up potential cause-and-effect events. For example, more accurately correlating ESS amps and/or speed with PEM temperature changes to troubleshoot fan problems. As it is now, we have to eyeball things, or take a screen shot and use a ruler.

2. When you put the cursor over a graph, the small portal in the lower right shows the X and Y values. It would be more useful to me if the X value were the absolute time reference for the point, so one can correlate an event seen while driving with the graphical analysis done afterward. As it is now, there's a lot of mental time-mathematics to do, which I generally suck at.

3. Could one of the displayed "graphs" be a time-relative display of error events in the log? X-value is time, Y value is simply the error code. Put a dot there, big enough to see and mouse-over for the error (displayed in the portal). Clusters of events would show up really clearly this way, and could be correlated with other things (speed, amps, temps, etc).

I realize some of these might be difficult due to limitations of the libraries you're using, but thought it would be worth suggesting if they haven't been brought up before. Thanks again for the excellent tool!

Sorry if this has been covered--can't find the answer.

As a starting point: HOW can I get my Model S logs?

I found one PDF about getting them from a Roadster (by sticking a USB drive in the car). I have found a few sites that will get them from Tesla servers if you give them your login credentials.

Is there some way to get raw logs from the actual 2016 Model S without going to Tesla's servers?

Or is there some way to get the raw logs from Tesla's servers?

@Doug_G if you are still available to work on TeslaGLOP, you might want to add the following extension to work around the problem seen on several Roadsters where the date rolls back to 2000 because the Garmin GPS sensor does not handle the rollover of the 10-bit week-number field in the GPS data stream that occurred in April, 2019. I added some code in my parser to compensate for the incorrect dates and shift them later by 1024 weeks:

// This next fixes incorrect timestamps due to the GPS week number rollover.
const time_t week1024 = 1024 * 7 * 24 * 60 * 60;
if (ts > 1554508800-week1024 && ts < 1150765200)
ts += week1024;

1554508800 is 2019-04-06 00:00:00 UTC when the rollover occurred.
1150765200 is 2006-06-19 18:00:00 PDT when the Roadster was formally unveiled. That end bound could obviously be later, like some time in 2008.