Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a new high tech steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla is working on a new steering wheel with haptic sensors and touch screens on it. One big change is that it would remove the gear stalk and move the gear controls to the steering wheel:

Tesla has a new high-tech steering wheel with touchscreens and haptic feedback - Electrek

Anyone curious about this?

Interesting, but I don't see it actually mentioned that the gear stalk is going away. Rather, it stated that it "may additionally include indicators provided at a lower portion of the steering wheel indicative of a selected gear engagement of the vehicle."

I think it would be a mess to have the gear selector on the actual wheel. I can see some folks having a hard time changing gear if the wheel is upside down...

Reactions: Msjulie and MP3Mike
They really must hate physical knobs and buttons with a passion. I'm not sure how I feel about this, at least until we see it working.
I still miss a lot a center console joystick/knob/volume/gear selector thing in my S.

Interesting, but I don't see it actually mentioned that the gear stalk is going away. Rather, it stated that it "may additionally include indicators provided at a lower portion of the steering wheel indicative of a selected gear engagement of the vehicle."

I think it would be a mess to have the gear selector on the actual wheel. I can see some folks having a hard time changing gear if the wheel is upside down...

Ford did it in 1958 in the Edsel with what was called the teletouch gear selector. It was located in the center of the steering wheel and comprised the steering wheel hub or what would normally be a horn button. It was circular and remained in a fixed position regardless of the steering wheel angle. So the gear selector was always oriented the same way.

That would be the only way "as you say", it would be functional. You can't have your gear selector all over the place depending on which way your steering wheel is turned. That just would not be very user friendly.

According to what's pictured and stated, something located in the center of the steering wheel does not appear to be their intent.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Since I want to drive my own car vs driving itself, I'm still in favor of some actual controls like the gear selector - plus more 'standard' for infrequent drivers and I agree about the look of the wheel without those drive indicators in/on there.

Agree with wishing there was something less than an on-screen button for the wipers too.

Thats a feature you have to do something to make work lol
You know you can change this in the settings, right?
Yes, if one defeats mirror tilt completely.

However, we like the passenger mirror to tilt, and have grown accustomed to this feature for two decades. Don't know why U.S. Model S owners have this feature and U.S. Model 3 owners don't.

Regarding the question about the steering wheel...it seems come companies insist on forcing their customers to re-learn life long skills that have been engrained in muscle memory (turn signal, stalk gear shift...). Swipe up, down, left, right, up and left, up and right. Seems like a recipe for an auto accident.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jree and tccartier
After driving with a butterfly wheel I found the stalks can be a little awkward when turning. It is not a big deal but I can see why they want to improve this. Both the Roadster and Cybertruck had the new non-round steering and this could be a nice upgrade.