Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has some more education to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

deonb

Mar 4, 2013
Redmond, WA
From another forum where people were discussing the Model 3 launch. This is one of the more "interesting" and funny anti-Tesla comments I've seen in a while. I don't even know how to respond to this.

"There are no barriers to entry for the oil companies to set up recharging stations at any time. I see no particular reason that Tesla, or anyone else, can maintain a monopoly on that business.

Electric "refueling" will become a fungible commodity, just like gasoline is today. That means most people are going to be looking for the best combination of convenience and price, and not much else, in their selection of locations to refuel. Tesla will be forced to open their Supercharger stations to other electric vehicle brands to keep them viable, and won't be able to restrict Tesla owners from refueling anywhere they want.

The threat to the oil companies and Tesla's Superchargers is the ability to refuel the car at home overnight in your own garage. Gonna be difficult to compete with that unless they give away the fuel.

I think Tesla won't survive at the end of the day. It either goes under because of competiton, like so many other automotive start-ups, or Elon is successful in selling Tesla to one of the mainstream manufacturers that is willing to pay up to jump-start their own electric vehicle program (Fiat-Chrysler?). "

• Funny
Reactions: tezzla
4b1cc8ee52b73a908a400e9a83b4e130687c64e1e49a8e3c8a1a3e238e43bbad.jpg

I feel like since the Model 3 reveal, the uneducated public vitriol has intensified incredibly against EVs and Tesla.

Their loss. The US is going to be gentrified in the next decade based on people who rely on old fossil fuel technology v. new technology. People who buy LEDs, energy efficient appliances, solar panels, and EVs/autonomous ride-sharing EVs will be paying very significantly lower amounts of money than people buying inefficient gas vehicles, incandescent-like bulbs, avoiding smart-meters and smart thermostats, and opposing lower-cost renewable energy. This effect will be amplified both by the general public, and by living in progressive v. regressive states around the country.

Just sit back, grab some popcorn, and marvel at how the uneducated will cling to their regressive beliefs right into poverty.

On the flip side, I've had more thumbs ups in these past two days of driving since the reveal then over the last two months combined. While there is a definite need for more education on the electric car front, people are more educated about Tesla then ever.

Reactions: Yuri_G
The best one I got this week was "do you have to wear a helmet? " She was convinced that I was buying some golf cart type vehicle since it was electric.

That reminds me of my high-school trip to the Soviet Union in 1989. At a couple of our stops (we visited 6 cities over 3 weeks -- St. Petersburg, Tallinn Estonia, Tashkent Uzbekistan, Sochi, Moscow and Vladimir/Suzdal Russia), we met with English clubs -- the first time any of the locals had met with westerners and had an opportunity to speak with native English speakers. We had been asked to bring ~20 pictures with us depicting our normal life. Being an 17 year old male teenager, of course I took a picture of my car -- which was a '65 Toyota Landcruiser. I was showing the pictures to a couple locals -- and when I shoed them the Landcruiser, one of them said "You are from Phoenix, which is in the Old West -- I thought you rode a horse to school." The other guy I was showing the pictures was confuse why I drove a "military vehicle" -- he thought my father was in the military (in reality, the closest my father got to the armed forces was a stint in a military boarding school for high school)...

• Helpful
Reactions: musicious
From another forum where people were discussing the Model 3 launch. This is one of the more "interesting" and funny anti-Tesla comments I've seen in a while. I don't even know how to respond to this.

"There are no barriers to entry for the oil companies to set up recharging stations at any time. I see no particular reason that Tesla, or anyone else, can maintain a monopoly on that business.

Electric "refueling" will become a fungible commodity, just like gasoline is today. That means most people are going to be looking for the best combination of convenience and price, and not much else, in their selection of locations to refuel. Tesla will be forced to open their Supercharger stations to other electric vehicle brands to keep them viable, and won't be able to restrict Tesla owners from refueling anywhere they want.

The threat to the oil companies and Tesla's Superchargers is the ability to refuel the car at home overnight in your own garage. Gonna be difficult to compete with that unless they give away the fuel.

I think Tesla won't survive at the end of the day. It either goes under because of competiton, like so many other automotive start-ups, or Elon is successful in selling Tesla to one of the mainstream manufacturers that is willing to pay up to jump-start their own electric vehicle program (Fiat-Chrysler?). "

Read a bunch of that forum. The FUD makes me feel exceedingly smart.

I would not bet against Elon musk.
I wouldn't either. He's the epitome of slimy business operators who ride waves of popularity to engender government corruption to make him profitable.

That or crank up a whole lot more coal plants... All EVs do is move the tailpipe.

Putting aside the "threat to Tesla" angle, I don't see why gas stations wouldn't have, say, one charging "pump" eventually. We were discussing this very thing in the reservation line the other day. The disadvantage to station operators would be how long the car would be there, but they could factor that into their price. it seems logical that the existing refuel network would somehow be involved as EVs increase in number.

That reminds me of my high-school trip to the Soviet Union in 1989. At a couple of our stops (we visited 6 cities over 3 weeks -- St. Petersburg, Tallinn Estonia, Tashkent Uzbekistan, Sochi, Moscow and Vladimir/Suzdal Russia), we met with English clubs -- the first time any of the locals had met with westerners and had an opportunity to speak with native English speakers. We had been asked to bring ~20 pictures with us depicting our normal life. Being an 17 year old male teenager, of course I took a picture of my car -- which was a '65 Toyota Landcruiser. I was showing the pictures to a couple locals -- and when I shoed them the Landcruiser, one of them said "You are from Phoenix, which is in the Old West -- I thought you rode a horse to school." The other guy I was showing the pictures was confuse why I drove a "military vehicle" -- he thought my father was in the military (in reality, the closest my father got to the armed forces was a stint in a military boarding school for high school)...

Oh, that goes both ways. I'm from South Africa, (actually went to the school just across the road from where Elon went), but I've been living in the U.S. since 1999.

The number of times I've heard comments in the U.S. along the lines of "You're from Africa? Then how are you white?" outnumber all of the stupid things I've ever head about Tesla.

Well, that, and "Do you speak Swahili?". That one I can kind'a forgive - nobody speaks Swahili in South Africa, but it's spoken in neighboring countries. So close enough. But the white thing... geez... I've even had an encounter with someone that went something like this:

• Where are you from?
  • Africa. South Africa.
  • There are white people in Africa?
  • Yes... Didn't you see all those anti-Apartheid rallies on TV in the 80's?
  • I actually went to one of those in college!
  • Ummm.. What exactly were you protesting?
  • White minority rule.
  • ...silence...
  • Ahhhh!!
  • <rolleyes>

• Funny
Reactions: ZBB and BBryson
The CEO of charge point highlights how hard it is to make money selling electrons for cars... Gas Stations don't make money selling gas... they make money selling $3 Monsters...

Hard to make a profit selling something people can get at home for next to nothing....

Last edited:
Reactions: SCW-Greg
Putting aside the "threat to Tesla" angle, I don't see why gas stations wouldn't have, say, one charging "pump" eventually. We were discussing this very thing in the reservation line the other day. The disadvantage to station operators would be how long the car would be there, but they could factor that into their price. it seems logical that the existing refuel network would somehow be involved as EVs increase in number.

I would think the long time to "Fill-Up" a EV would play right into the business model of Wawa type service stations that are in themselves are a destination.

But that may not be enough, because it's very easy for every other business to install a Level 2 charger to attract EV owners and even offer free charging.

Would love for my parking garage to offer a charging station or two (there is at least one other Leaf that parks there). And I would be happy to pay extra to use it. I like to think the days of corded charging will pass soon and inductive, automatic charging would be a customer-loyalty thing. You pull into a store and they would recognize the car and top off the battery. Maybe a bit of a dreamer...