Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Hate Crimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night while out driving to the store, I came to a stop light with an early 2000s mustang next to me. Minding my own business until I looked over and saw the guy in the mustang was giving me the bird... no eye contact, no words, nothing. Just holding up his finger towards me the whole time till the light changed.

Starting driving when I heard something hit my car. Loud enough to be heard well within my cabin. Thought I rocked kicked up and hit me pretty good until I saw the mustang guy throwing unknown objects out his window at me and I get hit again! I pulled off and pulled into a parking lot and thankfully no visible damage.

This was what I believe a hate crime based on the fact I was driving an EV or I could have been hated on for driving a nice car. Non the less, it was scary that this was happening and I wished I would have gotten his plate number.

I normally get positive vibes from bystanders and nothing like this before but I’ve heard and seen videos of horry stories of lambos getting attack just because it’s a Lamborghini..

Has anyone else been targeted for driving a Tesla before?

• Helpful
Reactions: kgroschi
There are jackasses in the world period, probably just the expensive car thing nothing more.
Couple years ago my employer sent out a notice to remove parking passes from view when leaving work as someone's car was vandalized in a public lot somewhere. Sounded like the vandal was caught and did it because since it is a good employer the employee must have been well off financially. Luckily that was not a location here in Wisconsin, here we have enough good manufacturing jobs the parking pass just spawns conversation about a good place to work and that expansion project looks like it will be a good thing for the area.

So last night while out driving to the store, I came to a stop light with an early 2000s mustang next to me. Minding my own business until I looked over and saw the guy in the mustang was giving me the bird... no eye contact, no words, nothing. Just holding up his finger towards me the whole time till the light changed.

Starting driving when I heard something hit my car. Loud enough to be heard well within my cabin. Thought I rocked kicked up and hit me pretty good until I saw the mustang guy throwing unknown objects out his window at me and I get hit again! I pulled off and pulled into a parking lot and thankfully no visible damage.

This was what I believe a hate crime based on the fact I was driving an EV or I could have been hated on for driving a nice car. Non the less, it was scary that this was happening and I wished I would have gotten his plate number.

I normally get positive vibes from bystanders and nothing like this before but I’ve heard and seen videos of horry stories of lambos getting attack just because it’s a Lamborghini..

Has anyone else been targeted for driving a Tesla before?

I think I found the dude you ran into.

As a non-white person living in the United States, I'm trying to wrap my mind around the use of the words "Tesla" and "hate crime" together. I get what OP is trying to say, but "hate crime" isn't the right term for it.

Bruce.

Well, if vandalism is a crime, and it's motivated by hatred for a person and/or their choices.... but I understand what you mean.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I've had something similar happen to me in my Tesla last week. I don't generally drive like a maniac, but I do love punching it in highway on ramps when there aren't any cars around.

Last week, I had an Audi A4 tailgating me shortly before getting in the highway. I didn't really mind it as that's normal here in LA. I accelerated and left it way behind until I reached the flow of traffic. Then, I noticed it kept swerving around other cars to try and get in front of me. When it finally did, it sprayed windshield wiper fluid onto my windshield and brake checked me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stick a "Made in USA" sticker on it, will cause a Redneck logic failure and error out.

Yeah, here in PA there's been a few times where some back-country folk had been questioning me about my car and ended with something like "Yeah, it's nice and all, but I only buy American".

I think if you know your audience and choose your words carefully, a good chunk of the time you can end on a good note, even when they might come over to pick an argument.