Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla hate.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Government purchase rebates also tend to annoy people, and some see the superchargers and now the 3rd party chargers being installed in high traffic parking lots and (incorrectly) assume the government is also funding those.

The fact that the occasional free chargers exist right near the front entrances of some malls probably is an annoyance too. Although I am sure these will be disappearing before too long.

Great thread here.

It's clear to me from my experience and observing human behavior that people do have biases, and some of those biases inspire hate, jealousy, and rage. When those biases are built on ignorance, misinformation, and disinformation, the hate can go to 11. When humans are fed all of the above and also feel threatened, that fight or flight response can be....irrational.

Others have touched on this, but EVs in general are a threat to the status quo. Anyone connected to or whose income or lifestyle is affected by the status quo might feel threatened and for good reason. A small subset of those feeling threatened might feel moved to voice their displeasure, rage on forums, or key a car. This is true for those who hate anything for any reason. A small subset are moved to vandalism, violence, and worse. We've seen it all throughout history, from the fear of anesthesia (the powers that be fought this bitterly), reproductive choice, the fight for legal equality, and even powered flight. Yes, powered flight had its detractors.

Some people will associate a Tesla with a socio-economic status that triggers jealousy or rage, no matter how hard (or smart) someone worked to get a Tesla. Some will associate Teslas with a political view that's not as clear with an unmarked Honda Civic. But, a Civic in 1978 was still inspiring anti-Japanese sentiments (being closer to WWII) than it does today. My Dad and I would go back and forth on this, in a good-natured fashion, but he still had his biases all the same. The funny thing is that he was an early-adopter of Japanese cars despite holding some residual bias against them. He had a Toyota Corolla in 1970!

Obviously there is a plurality of nuanced political views associated with Teslas, but it's not like vandals are high arbiters of nuance. The ignorance and disinformation simply fuels the extremes. If some person becomes enraged by the latest eco warrior and sees a Tesla, this could be an obvious trigger for some.

Teslas are faster than all but the most built-up or expensive ICE cars. This is insult to injury for those susceptible to being triggered by this display of superior velocity. Some people tie their identities so closely to their cars that this can send some in to vandal mode.

So, now we have a paradigm change, political association assumptions/triggers, and Teslas can physically beat other cars in a race which perhaps pushes the metaphor too far for some. At least Priuses had the dignity of being slow (with a demographic not known for lead feet).

As a former smart (car) driver, people would sometimes attempt to 'push me around' because my car's avatar was so tiny. It's like being in the body of a kitten around elephants. The thing is, I don't drive like someone who is passive, which is one of the reasons I sold it and got the FIAT 500 Abarth. I also ride sportbikes in California where lane-sharing is permissible, and some people hate us just for having this perk (on top of being able to use the HOV lane solo, without stickers).

I don't think this targeted hate is remarkable or unusual for humans. They often hate what they fear and don't understand, and this is historically demonstrable well beyond the purview of vehicles. This too shall pass, until the next novel game-changer happens along.
I live in MAGA country, so outrage, ignorance, and hate is particularly common. Nonetheless, I’ve never been bothered. I think most don’t know what the thing is.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Doug Demuro mentioned it perfectly - democratizing performance and handling. A sub 4.5 second acceleration (even more so sub 3.5 second) in a car that is at or below the mid 50s in MSRP is disheartening to those that spent much more on their conventional ICE vehicles. There is a certain subset of regular owners - who may have considered a 3-series or C Class - or even a high end Camry or Accord - that have the buying power to cross-shop a Model 3. These "regular" people may be homemakers, retirees, recent college graduates, etc.

This removes the uniqueness (based on 0-60 performance ) of say a car like a Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye - a $74k muscle car that still doesn't do 0-60 as fast as a "Dual Motor Model 3 with performance boost" - a vehicle that "regular" people might drive. Instead of aspiring to own a Mustang Shelby GT350R - many younger people - who may not even be able to drive yet, are looking with that same awe towards a Model S or Model 3 Performance.

Daimler AG, recently produced a video on the combativeness that Bertha Benz faced when she first tried to drive her husband's horseless carriage across Germany.
We are seeing the same kinds of resentful disdain - that comes with any type of change.

I feel like the political environment, US and world wide even more? just seems to be polarizing. I can see where some comes from; an EV may be a threat to something tied to your way of life (fossil fuels, ICE car manufacturer, etc) so you fear/hate. Tesla also seems to have more status than expected compared to Audi, BMW, other traditional $ cars etc so there's jealousy possible there as well.

Random youtube video I was watching; guy lives near BMW plant in South Carolina and BMWs are "a dime a dozen" there and so just get ignored. Teslas there even more elevated in status oddly enough, the few he sees anyway

Doug Demuro mentioned it perfectly - democratizing performance and handling. A sub 4.5 second acceleration (even more so sub 3.5 second) in a car that is at or below the mid 50s in MSRP is disheartening to those that spent much more on their conventional ICE vehicles. There is a certain subset of regular owners - who may have considered a 3-series or C Class - or even a high end Camry or Accord - that have the buying power to cross-shop a Model 3. These "regular" people may be homemakers, retirees, recent college graduates, etc.

This removes the uniqueness (based on 0-60 performance ) of say a car like a Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye - a $74k muscle car that still doesn't do 0-60 as fast as a "Dual Motor Model 3 with performance boost" - a vehicle that "regular" people might drive. Instead of aspiring to own a Mustang Shelby GT350R - many younger people - who may not even be able to drive yet, are looking with that same awe towards a Model S or Model 3 Performance.

Daimler AG, recently produced a video on the combativeness that Bertha Benz faced when she first tried to drive her husband's horseless carriage across Germany.
We are seeing the same kinds of resentful disdain - that comes with any type of change.

This is a really interesting point, but I can't help but think of how I'd react. Which would probably just be disappointment. I would be disappointed I spent $$$$$ on <some car> when $$ on <better car> came about. I wouldn't actively and externally hate those who own the $$ car? I also don't think anyone I know would either.

I think the most valid points in this thread so far are the perception that Teslas cost a lot (because they do) so there's the upper class disdain, but also the point that it's just not a big coal-rollin' CO2 factory that can climb all the curbs at the local grocery store. Because people "hate" on those categories just as much without the Tesla logo.

In my experience, most people have a passive knowledge of the Tesla. Their primary source of information about the Tesla are headlines. The headlines have been so negative for several years as oil, legacy car manufacturers and short sellers tried to discredit the company and delay the inevitable EV switch. Most people are sheople when it comes to anything outside their bubble or outside their bias that they immediately latch on to the negative headline as fodder for their hate. These are the same people that thought smartphones were a fad.

I work with a guy (not very old either), that thinks battery technology hasn't got any better in the last 40 years because his "...headband flashlight goes through batteries really fast. Therefore, a car can't possibly last on a battery for more than a few years at best."

I'm not sure there's as much hate for Leafs or these:

2013-fiat-500_100424914.jpg

It kinda looks like a newt.

I'm not sure there's as much hate for Leafs or these:

2013-fiat-500_100424914.jpg

The above was our first EV, 2 year lease. It was super easy to park and got pretty good range considering it was (and is) simply a compliance car. And it was quick, nothing like a Tesla, but it broke traction up front easily and was a great commuter car.

Most folks I saw thought it was cute. It was a cheap experiment and educated us that range anxiety need not be a thing. An EV totally makes sense for more people than might have believed it could work for them, especially for slogging the commute traffic daily.

I have my own personal hate fan club at work. At almost every morning meeting they regurgitate the latest fake news to me and try to make me feel like I've made a bad purchase. One guy claims terrorists will hack into my car and use it as a weapon. I'm getting tired of the comments like "Be safe driving home, hope your car doesn't kill you on the way." Best car I've ever owned.

My company has anti-bullying policies that are included in with all the other discrimination policies. Jokes are funny once, but after hearing the same thing 100 times from the same person or from 100 different people, it just gets old and it needs to stop.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Where do you live that people just flip you off because of the car you drive? That sounds terrible. :) Then again, are you sure their drive-by flippings are due to the car you drive? Could just be your driving. :p
Got cut off in the front by F150, flipped w birdy by Toyota truck driver merging in highway.....but left them in the dust once we were in highway....hahaha. probably why they hate us

The above was our first EV, 2 year lease. It was super easy to park and got pretty good range considering it was (and is) simply a compliance car. And it was quick, nothing like a Tesla, but it broke traction up front easily and was a great commuter car.

Most folks I saw thought it was cute. It was a cheap experiment and educated us that range anxiety need not be a thing. An EV totally makes sense for more people than might have believed it could work for them, especially for slogging the commute traffic daily.

And most people think that Tesla's are more expensive versions of the same under powered EV that not only threatens their current ICE vehicles, but will get in their way while driving on the roads.

Most people do not know that Teslas have a LOT more power than most ICE cars. Hell, I didn't know until I test drove one with the intent of buying one. The Model 3 is larger than a compact but a bit smaller than a mid-size - and they don't look ugly or "cute." Nevertheless people expect us to literally run out of juice blocking them at an intersection. They think we slow down the freeways. Basically they see us as a potential nuisance. In a Model 3, I bet lots of people don't know what brand car we are driving at all. They just know we are not driving a Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, BMW, etc. Different is bad - which unfortunately seems to be the way of the world these days.

Teslas make a lot of headlines, but mainly because of financial activity on the stock market. People on this forum are enthusiasts. On the other hand, people on the road know very little about these cars. Yeah, I love to leave them in the dust just to show them that they are arrogant and full of themselves.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
I have my own personal hate fan club at work. At almost every morning meeting they regurgitate the latest fake news to me and try to make me feel like I've made a bad purchase. One guy claims terrorists will hack into my car and use it as a weapon. I'm getting tired of the comments like "Be safe driving home, hope your car doesn't kill you on the way." Best car I've ever owned.

Funny - at my company, half my team drive Teslas now. We're spread all across the US, too. We're in tech, so maybe that has something to do with it ... but even the ones who don't, are interested. Likely when their next purchase/lease comes up.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Funny - at my company, half my team drive Teslas now. We're spread all across the US, too. We're in tech, so maybe that has something to do with it ... but even the ones who don't, are interested. Likely when their next purchase/lease comes up.

I'm guessing that the tech crowd is over-represented. I'm a 3D Artist, 28 years in video games, 2+ in AR/VR development. There have bee
I haven't really felt the hate, just some serious scowls. I live in California and drive around with a license plate bracket that says "American Muscle" on it with a MAGA sticker next to it on my M3P. The MAGA sticker is magnetic.....I'm no fool!

No you are not. My guess is that you remove it when you park for any length of time in public areas? :D I would say that a 'scowl' is just an expression of dislike which is on the road to hate, which leads to...suffering. Oh geez I went all Yoda there.

You would think a tech company would be more accepting. I work for the 2nd largest Semiconductor company in the world and most of the haters are equipment and process engineers.