Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is how I determined that the Tesla drove 500 feet in the wrong lane until the point of impact. I used an on-line calculator to determine how long it takes to travel 500 feet at 80 mph (randomly guessed their speeds). The answer is 4.6 seconds. That's how much time the Tesla chose to stay racing instead of slowing down after realizing he was not in a proper lane. What's worse is that had he stayed in his lane they all would have been safe. But his excessive speed likely drifted him into the path of the Honda due to the curve in the road. IMHO, that is vehicular homicide.

The Model S has a steering wheel, and last I checked it works at any speed. Either he was avoiding something, distracted by something, or lost control altogether.

Yes it is likely they were racing. But there's more to this than just "drifting lanes".

The number of armchair detectives here is astonishing. We don't have all the facts. We've not interviewed the drivers or eye-witnesses.

Anything is possible. Maybe the Merc moved up alongside the Tesla trying to undertake. Maybe the Tesla driver caught him out of the corner of his eye, and made an emergency swerve to the left to avoid the Merc now drifting across. Maybe the Tesla then lost control and could't right himself. I just made all this up!

The number of armchair detectives here is astonishing. We don't have all the facts. We've not interviewed the drivers or eye-witnesses.

Anything is possible. Maybe the Merc moved up alongside the Tesla trying to undertake. Maybe the Tesla driver caught him out of the corner of his eye, and made an emergency swerve to the left to avoid the Merc now drifting across. Maybe the Tesla then lost control and could't right himself. I just made all this up!

umm this is a forum and everyone is allowed to share their thoughts
nMd4pPg.png

But 29 pages of second-guessing the people paid to investigate this stuff? Posting facts, or compassionate thoughts for all those involved or impacted by this is reasonable, but analysis without any first-hand facts is futile.

You're right, everyone is entitled to say whatever they want, but out of respect I would hope we can keep the theories down, and certainly not accuse anyone.

But 29 pages of second-guessing the people paid to investigate this stuff?
***** snip ****

Do what I do on all the forum boards I belong to. Change your settings to show 100 posts per page instead of the default. This is only on the third page for me.

Sorry for sounding flip, but it really does help with long threads.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Not sure about others, but my first reaction when I see something out of the corner of my eye that is rapidly approaching on an apparent intercept vector is to slam on the brakes. Case in point, while on the freeway in light traffic on a sunny afternoon traveling in left of 3 lanes where 2 onramp lanes merge into 1 then into the 3 lanes of travel: some doofus in a red Miata came over from the onramp side towards me at what seemed like a 45 degree angle and just barely missed clipping me. Judging by the expression on their face and how they suddenly dropped speed to the speed limit as they abruptly changed course to lurch back into the middle lane, apparently they didn't see my car, which is a bit hard to believe as I was going at a constant pace of about 10 over the posted 70.

However, if I see something directly in front of me in time to react, at times I have jerked the wheel to avoid running over whatever debris fell off the back of some truck. Sometimes that puts me on the shoulder, sometimes in another lane of travel; luckily haven't had this happen in such a way to end up sideswiping anything.

Those reflex actions I think are less likely to cause a head on collision versus simple distracted driving, such as the usual things of fiddling with the controls, dropping something, or any of a plethora of other potential reasons to not have both eyes on the road ahead. Heck, today I was glad to be on a secondary road with next to no traffic when I realized a spot on my arm was moving, apparently picked up a decent sized tick while walking the dog in the woods. So I was driving with one hand on the wheel while picking the bug off with the other to eject it out the thankfully already open sunroof.

So, in m mind, practically anything could have caused the Model S driver to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hopefully the real detectives have better resources than the armchair ones.

To all those who are still denying the evidence you either don't understand the pictures I posted or you are living in a state of denial.

The Tesla driver hit the Honda 500 feet after the 2 lanes merged. Yes, 500 feet! Do you understand what this means? If he was driving the speed limit then he was illegally driving outside of his lane for 6 seconds. But we can see from the pictures that he was driving faster than that. So he was speeding and he was not in his lane for 500 feet. That is not an accident. That is not a cup of coffee on his windshield. That is not a flick of the wrist. That is not a distracted driver looking at his touch screen. It is obviously a driver who is stubbornly continuing to race.

But as I said earlier, even if he was racing there was still room for all 3 cars to pass safely. So of course he drifted into the Honda. Anyone who understands high-speed driving knows that cars have a limit when making a turn at high speeds. Model S is a heavy car and it cannot defy the laws of gravity. At high speeds during a turn, it will drift. There is no other logical explanation.

I think the deny'ers fall into 2 categories:

1) Those who initially posted their views prior to seeing the evidence and now don't want to admit that maybe they were wrong.

2) Those who somehow think that admitting a fellow Tesla driver made a mistake somehow looks poorly on all of us. This is obviously foolish as there are all types of Tesla drivers, good and bad.

The deny'ers are being as stubborn as the Mercedes and Tesla drivers when they both failed to yield when they should have.

To all those who are still denying the evidence you either don't understand the pictures I posted or you are living in a state of denial.

1) Those who initially posted their views prior to seeing the evidence and now don't want to admit that maybe they were wrong.

2) Those who somehow think that admitting a fellow Tesla driver made a mistake somehow looks poorly on all of us. This is obviously foolish as there are all types of Tesla drivers, good and bad.

The deny'ers are being as stubborn as the Mercedes and Tesla drivers when they both failed to yield when they should have.

Absolutely, there are only 2 possible reasons in the world that someone may not take random internet investigations as gospel truth. Either stubbornly ignorant, or foolishly hypersensitive.

Thanks for helping us all see the light. I know I can rest easy now that I've had my perspective adjusted back to reality by your helpful posts.

But as I said earlier, even if he was racing there was still room for all 3 cars to pass safely. So of course he drifted into the Honda. Anyone who understands high-speed driving knows that cars have a limit when making a turn at high speeds. Model S is a heavy car and it cannot defy the laws of gravity. At high speeds during a turn, it will drift. There is no other logical explanation.
The curve on that section of the road looks far slighter than the curving interchange ramps for the sections of interstate where I live; I routinely take those 2 lane ramps at 80 or so, and it isn't any problem to slalom through slower cars in the Model S. I'm really not buying into the notion that the Model S in this case was drifting due to speed / cornering.

The Tesla driver hit the Honda 500 feet after the 2 lanes merged. Yes, 500 feet! Do you understand what this means? If he was driving the speed limit then he was illegally driving outside of his lane for 6 seconds. But we can see from the pictures that he was driving faster than that. So he was speeding and he was not in his lane for 500 feet. That is not an accident. That is not a cup of coffee on his windshield. That is not a flick of the wrist. That is not a distracted driver looking at his touch screen. It is obviously a driver who is stubbornly continuing to race.

I don't know about that. When I test drove the Model S I purposely tried to see how fast I could make turns and effortlessly took a 35 mph sharp offramp at 70. It was so smooth that it was anticlimactic. Model S handles amazingly. The curve there is far too gentle to cause the S to drift at anything less than 100 mph in my opinion.

Those pictures are after the fact, and general geometry of the roads (that are apparently old, because there is not longer a right turn only lane). They can help with figuring out what happened.

The Tesla driver hit the Honda 500 feet after the 2 lanes merged. Yes, 500 feet! Do you understand what this means? If he was driving the speed limit then he was illegally driving outside of his lane for 6 seconds.

You are assuming he traveled the full 500 feet outside the lane. Do we know this to be the case?

But we can see from the pictures that he was driving faster than that.

How? Sure we see two horribly destroyed cars. But how do we know what speed each one was going? Even if we can assume a combined impact speed how do we know how much the Tesla was carrying, versus the Accord?

So he was speeding and he was not in his lane for 500 feet. That is not an accident. That is not a cup of coffee on his windshield. That is not a flick of the wrist. That is not a distracted driver looking at his touch screen. It is obviously a driver who is stubbornly continuing to race.

I am glad you know this.

That you can think of. How about he was cruising along in his solo lane. A MB stops in front of him abruptly. He swerves to the 'safe' lane, maybe he goes too far. Maybe the MB started to swerve to the 'safe' lane, as he braked abruptly. The Tesla driver drifts further out and into incoming traffic. There are an infinite amount of 'logical' explanations.

I am not denying. I am not accepting. Both require faith in a couple of photographs, and some 'eyewitness' newspaper reports. As someone who read a newspaper article about something I was VERY familiar with. And saw it not only got the wrong conclusion, it got bad quotes that were never checked, and then reported those quotes incorrectly. Everyone is going on very shaky information. The only person who really knows what happened is probably the driver of the Tesla, and he might not even remember it correctly.

I feel that this was probably the fault of the Tesla driver (it seems that he was in the wrong lane). But I have no idea. I don't claim to. I personally don't think anyone should claim to know what happened. It is presumptuous! But claim all you want. But without real evidence you won't convince rational people that your story is correct. Even if the pieces fit.

I would look up iguanodon and read about the crystal palace statues. They used pieces to construct something that wasn't really an iguanadon. It took some real thought and analysis to really figure out what they looked like.

I'm pretty sure the Model S could handle that fairly gentle curve at high speed without being near the limit of grip. Of course if the driver was stupid enough to have his foot to the floor he could have done a power oversteer. The car does have stability control, but that could have caused him to slide outwards.

I'm not saying that the driver wasn't at fault. I'm just saying there's more to this than the car "drifting" into the oncoming lane.