Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla head on collision with a Honda

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me focus in on the key point of my theory. [...]

Not just for vin5xxx but for everyone else who's convinced they've figured the whole thing out:

They key point of your theory is precisely that: it's a theory. We all have only second- or third-hand reporting of the facts and the statements, so any theory may be totally correct or fatally flawed while still fitting the available pieces of (good and/or bad) data.

Before you make very strong statements, remember the old saying: "Logic is a systematic method of arriving at the wrong conclusion... but with confidence."

- - - Updated - - -

Source: common sense.

Un. Believable.

Using the word "physics" doesn't mean that you then get to ignore actual physics. So lets start with the physics of the impact. The photographs, while not conclusive, are in fact quite consistent with an impact speed of ~80mph. A combined speed of 80mph anyways (each car traveling @ ~40mph).
Good point here. Ignoring all the guessing about the other parts, the results of the collision does not seem like a 40mph vs 80mph collision, but does look a lot like 40mph vs 40mph offset collision.

Years ago I was in Beijing, and witnessed a minor bicycle/car collision. The accident scene was immediately swarmed by bicycles, who just stood there to make sure that the car couldn't leave before the authorities arrived.

Has that changed?

In 15 years I have yet to ever see a vehicle stop and render assistance.

I think what you witnessed we're the bicycle guys sticking together. Of course today, there are far, far fewer bicycles on the road than in the past.

When I asked my driver why people don't help he explained that it is more expensive to care for an injured person then to pay for a dead person and that the first person to actively assist has some form of liability.

I don't know how true that is but there is clearly no requirement or personal responsibility to provide first aid.

You can see in the picture how the cars just continue driving past the accident seen.

When I asked my driver why people don't help he explained that it is more expensive to care for an injured person then to pay for a dead person and that the first person to actively assist has some form of liability.
This is exactly it. I think I've seen in the news that there's been a spate of high profile cases where good
samaritans are sued. So basically in China, unless the person has the medical knowledge to help, they usually opt to walk by because of the risk of being sued if you injure the person further. China needs to have good samaritan laws like in the US before people are going to be willing to help.

Here's a recent article about it:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ritan-case-gets-a-new-ending-adam-minter.html

Yes, I'm certain it is. The Roadster records speed, torque, pedal position, and battery pack voltage and current once a second while driving. Various members of this community have devised ways to read and interpret that data.

Model S almost certainly records the same information, perhaps even more. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way for us to access it, but I'm sure Tesla can.