Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla HPWC Gen 2 $475 while supplies last NIB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read some recent pages, why are we upset getting Gen 3 over 2? Have Tesla done something fishy again on their new product? :)

All of us upset either already have a Gen 2 and need an additional one to load share, which Gen 3 can't do (they can share with another Gen 3, but not with a Gen 2), or have cars capable of charging faster than 48 amps, which Gen 3 also can't do.

Basically....we know what we need, for various reasons, and Tesla appears to be sending us what they think we need instead of what we asked for. Might be fine for most people out there, but there are specific reasons why one might order a 2 over a 3.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it and Fragger
All of us upset either already have a Gen 2 and need an additional one to load share, which Gen 3 can't do (they can share with another Gen 3, but not with a Gen 2), or have cars capable of charging faster than 48 amps, which Gen 3 also can't do.

Basically....we know what we need, for various reasons, and Tesla appears to be sending us what they think we need instead of what we asked for. Might be fine for most people out there, but there are specific reasons why one might order a 2 over a 3.

Thanks for that information bud..! So the Gen 3 charges at a lower rate, is not backwards compatible with Gen 2 for load sharing... So... What exactly is the improvement on Gen 3? :)

Thanks for that information bud..! So the Gen 3 charges at a lower rate, is not backwards compatible with Gen 2 for load sharing... So... What exactly is the improvement on Gen 3? :)

The Gen3 has WiFi capability like the JuiceBox Pro. For most people, this will be a better fit.

You need a Gen2 if:
A) You have an older car with the Dual Charger option and want to charge faster than 48 amps.
B) You have an existing Gen2 wall connector and need them to load-share the same circuit.
C) Your power is 277 vac.
D) The extra length of the Gen2 24' model is needed.

The Gen3 has WiFi capability like the JuiceBox Pro. For most people, this will be a better fit.

You need a Gen2 if:
A) You have an older car with the Dual Charger option and want to charge faster than 48 amps.
B) You have an existing Gen2 wall connector and need them to load-share the same circuit.
C) Your power is 277 vac.
D) The extra length of the Gen2 24' model is needed.

It has wifi connectivity but doesn't really use that feature for much so far. Also, it's cheaper for Tesla to produce.

Great info guys! If I were not going the NEMA 14-50 route... I'd fit directly into the Gen 2 category! :)

Thanks bud... How does that tie into the MC2? I just ordered the adapter for it...double the price of what you posted... :)
You would attach it like you would do a hardwiring. Make sure to use the clamp included with the cord to stop it from being able to be pulled out.

I am buying a 2012-2016 Model S. Is there any reason I should a Gen 2 charger vs a Gen 3 charger? (not worried about the extra $25 for Gen 3, as I might get a newer Tesla in the future.) Does the Gen 3 only come in 18' length and Gen 2 = 24' ?

Yes, the Gen 2 is the only wall mount model available with a 24' cord. The next longest is the Corded Mobile Connector however it's out of stock. Do not believe the "email me when you get them" nonsense. It's like asking your teen not to make a mess in the kitchen. Ineffective.

Reactions: Fragger
The 24' Solution: Both JuiceBox and Clipper Creek have J1772 products with 25' cords. Not sure why Tesla wants to discontinue it.
When you mount a charger on a wall, you need extra length to stop the cable from being under tension. So if you mount it 4 feet up, it will consume about 6' extra cord to stop it from pulling on your charge port or EVSE.

Here is the difference in sizes of the boxes, Gen3 to the left (you might have to put on your glasses to see it), so you don't have to open a box that is wrong:

Attachments

• Gen1vGen2.JPG
    Gen1vGen2.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 62
The biggest difference is the most obvious one, the Gen 3 has a shorter cable at 18 feet. If you need the longer cable then the Gen 2 is for you.

If you have a spare 100 amps of capacity in your breaker box / service, AND specifically plan to buy a car with the Twin charger / hi-power charger, then you might want to get a Gen 2. If you go above a 60 amp circuit, then you should install a lockable disconnect just ahead of your Gen 2 station. I personally find this a comforting addition but many don't like the expense and size of these things.

As someone with a fresh setup, you can go with the Gen 3, and a 60 amp circuit and be quite happy. The Gen 3 is easier to install and will be supported by Tesla for a much longer period of time, so replacements will be easier for quite a while on the Gen 3. The Gen 3 should also be able to load share if you add more of them down the road, but not in the same way as the Gen 2. Each Gen 3 get's it's own circuit, then you tell the software what they have available to share. This is simpler to implement than the junction box implementation and communication wire required by the Gen 2. Plus when you go to expand the Gen 2 will probably be unavailable, or at least very expensive.

These things don't break that often, normally they are victims of their installation, or abuse of their owners. But if a Gen 2 fails at some point in the future you are almost certainly going to end up with something else as a replacement.

My house has four high power (80A capable) J1772 stations using off the shelf hardware, if any of them break I can replace the parts and get them running again. I am also not locked into Tesla, which is good, because I own two other non Tesla EV's. Owning a Tesla unit locks you into driving a Tesla, to some small degree. You can obviously change it, but that is an added expense and scheduling challenge if you drive your Tesla into a dealer and drive home in something else. J1772 requires an adapter and with that you lose the simple push button charging door open process. There are ways around that.

Hope that helps!

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
The wall space requirement is about the same for the G2 & G3 EVSE body.
The big difference is cord.
0.560" for the Gen 3 or .25 sqin cable cross-section
0.865" for the Gen 2 or .59 sqin cable cross-section (over twice as heavy per foot)

The G2 cord is very heavy and takes a lot of room. So the EVSE body requires a dedicated mounting plate, and it's why the box is larger.

I'll be listing a 9 month old silver Gen 2 wall connector with 24 ft cord and NEMA 14-50 connector (not sold anymore). What is it worth?
Are you talking about this device?

Tesla launches new Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - Electrek

Those seem to command between 300 and 500 around here, but I think the last one I saw was listed at $450. They aren't super common, but at the same time The Gen 1 kit provides similar functionality, but likely with fewer safety features. These don't offer any load sharing features, so not something you can use for many of the larger installs.

WooHoo! I can now charge more efficiently!
All I had was 10 ga wire so I tested it at 24 amps. No heating at all in the wires.

1) The beauty cover was a BEETCH. There is one torx anti-theft holding it on, but it has plastic snaps. I nearly broke the cover trying get it off. I'd advise to warm up the cover with a hair dryer in at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions if you have trouble.
2) Both DIP switches UP, ON/ON for 277v.
3) Set your peak based on your breaker (and of course use the right ga wire) using the micro-rotary switch. 4 = 24a.
4) Hot to the left, N to the right, GND is down below.

277v.JPG