Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in deal with Daimler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, of course they haven't announced which partner it is, so it may not have a Mercedes label. If it truly is Daimler, they also own the Smart label which is less than $30k.

I know under the Mercedes brand, the low end C classes used to start right at $30k, but the last time I checked the A and B classes were not currently available in the US, so I don't know how much they would sell for. I would expect less than a C.

I know under the Mercedes brand, the low end C classes used to start right at $30k, but the last time I checked the A and B classes were not currently available in the US, so I don't know how much they would sell for. I would expect less than a C.

We have the B class in Canada - it starts at $29,900.00 CDN. Link

The B class isn't in the US?

It was not available here the last time I checked... Admittedly my current Mercedes is over 10 years old so I have not looked in a while...

Nope, C-Class is still the lowest you can go at MBenz in the US.
Haven't heard of any plans to release something cheaper/smaller in the US.

I imagine probably something more like the Smart.

But the Daimler rumor is getting kind of shaky since Daimler is already working with Evonik to design automotive li-ions:
Green Car Congress: Evonik and Daimler Establish Strategic Alliance for Automotive Li-ion Battery Research, Development and Production; Li-Tec Cells to Be Used in Mercedes EVs

Sure, they're cute. They are also totally impractical for me.

I cannot do without the flexibility of a four seater. Even if we could afford a third car, we change our plans in the middle of the day too often. I have to be able to pick up the kids on my way home from work.

An electric Smart Forfour might be a good second car.

message from one of mercedes officials

Three days ago, I received the offer to test drive an electric smart. While I had in mind it would be next year, he now explains me that it will be in 2010. So daimler has realized a test fleet in London last year (smart with zebra battery), at the moment in berlin (lithium battery, improved performance), next year in rome, and 2010 in zurich (which will be my first chance to drive one).

Obviously daimler-benz wants to gain some time, but why? Because they are not yet convinced of the BEV? Because they are developing the coming out of the high end versions of the BEV behind the scenes, without too much pressure from the press, politics and the public?

No I don't think Clarkson sees electric cars as nonsense, just not ready for the real world. Or rather the track-day world that he considers to be real.

Lots of normal people could live perfectly happily with them right now as a second vehicle for the family. Once the price falls, of course. And replacement battery costs are disclosed.

Anyone read German?
www.li-tec.de

Babelfish:
The cathode essentially consists of a lithium metal oxide on an aluminum arrester. The anode consists mainly of graphite on a copper arrester. The separator separates anode and cathode and prevents thus the internal short-circuit. Owing to its porous structure it lets the lithium ions happen. While the loading of the cells the lithium ions walk from the cathode by the electrolytes and the separator to the anode. With unloading the lithium ions walk back to the cathode and set thereby electricity free.

Last edited: