Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m being charged $2k for the MCU2 upgrade although my X already had FSD computer (and package) at time of the MCU upgrade. (Stop sign/stop lights, etc and said Full Self Driving Computer on the screen.

The Tesla website mentions all AP 2.0 and 2.5 are $2,000 and all others are $1,500. They’re saying because mine was originally a AP 2.5 it costs $2,000.

Any input on this?

I would push back on that. What their site says: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles."

Your vehicle is not currently equipped with AP2.0 or AP2.5, so it should fall in the "all other vehicles" pricing.

I’m being charged $2k for the MCU2 upgrade although my X already had FSD computer (and package) at time of the MCU upgrade. (Stop sign/stop lights, etc and said Full Self Driving Computer on the screen.

The Tesla website mentions all AP 2.0 and 2.5 are $2,000 and all others are $1,500. They’re saying because mine was originally a AP 2.5 it costs $2,000.

Any input on this?
Can you try another Service Center? If there's another one nearby I'd try requesting a quote/appt from a difference Service Center.
I would push back on that. What their site says: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles."

Your vehicle is not currently equipped with AP2.0 or AP2.5, so it should fall in the "all other vehicles" pricing.
I agree 100%.

Can you try another Service Center? If there's another one nearby I'd try requesting a quote/appt from a difference Service Center.

I agree 100%.
It's sad that Tesla can't even follow their own written words.

From Tesla Infotainment upgrade website: "This upgrade is available for $2,000 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,500 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen."

I'm sure if SdpLV's car has the FSD computer, performing the menu selection above would confirm it doesn't have the AP 2.0 or 2.5 therefore should only be charged $1500.

WOW! o_O

Just got mine back after the MCU2 upgrade and went from 2020.48.37.1 to 2021.4.10.1 . Below are my thoughts
  • Major Item
    • Screen is butter smooth! It's like going from 15 FPS to 120 FPS on a computer or TV. Images just glide smoothly across the screen (You really need to see it to get the full experience)
    • Everything is snappier. Different from item listed above, when you click on things they happen instantly
    • Main screen colors seem more vibrant/defined.
    • Driver instrument cluster (IC) is a bit "warmer" in color than before. Not quiet as blue/white more like a very slight orange/incandescent tint to it
    • Voice Commands are recognized instantly
    • Routing of GPS/Charging stops is very quick
    • Reboot is about 20 seconds instead of 1-2 minutes
    • Rear camera night vision is as good as before the upgrade
    • Audio sounds as good as before, no lack of bass (I have the UHFS package)
    • Changing the volumn with the scroll steering wheel button is much more responsive
    • Web Browser is alive! Works well, id say like a tablet or phone speed.
  • Minor Items
    • Instrument cluster (IC) shows the ultrasonic sensors a bit longer duration/smoother when driving near a curb or object
    • Stronger LTE signal bar, not sure if it is just cosmetic or actually better signal (used to always be 1-2, now 3-4 bars)
    • New Maps needed to download over wifi, those happened once I got back home
    • Games still are awaiting to be downloaded even after checking the next day
    • Needed to re-sync Bluetooth phone connection and homelink garage opener
    • Fart sounds lag and don't come out of the correct speaker when you switch locations quickly (dumb test, but still weird that it broke)
    • Audio EQ only goes up to 8.0 instead of 12
  • Misc Items
    • Not sure how I feel about watching video in the car, the vertical screen and speaker separation is definitely not something I am used to.
    • Watching Plex in the browser doesn't work too well, the audio tries to do a 5.1 sound that doesnt translate correctly to the car and isnt dedicated like "Theater mode" in the entertainment. Hopefully they add Plex as a native app.
    • Limited testing but Supercharging speeds seem the same
    • Lost AM/FM/XM (knew this was going to happen obviously) so this makes the audio choices look very limited
    • AP1 seems the same. I wasn't expecting any change. the only difference I noticed is the blue line that engages when you enable it goes much more quickly up the screen probably due to processing power of the new MCU2.

Last edited:
WOW! o_O

Just got mine back after the MCU2 upgrade and went from 2020.48.37.1 to 2021.4.10.1 . Below are my thoughts
  • Major Item
    • Screen is butter smooth! It's like going from 15 FPS to 120 FPS on a computer or TV. Images just glide smoothly across the screen (You really need to see it to get the full experience)
    • Everything is snappier. Different from item listed above, when you click on things they happen instantly
    • Main screen colors seem more vibrant/defined.
    • Driver instrument cluster (IC) is a bit "warmer" in color than before. Not quiet as blue/white more like a very slight orange/incandescent tint to it
    • Voice Commands are recognized instantly
    • Routing of GPS/Charging stops is very quick
    • Reboot is about 20 seconds instead of 1-2 minutes
    • Rear camera night vision is as good as before the upgrade
    • Audio sounds as good as before, no lack of bass (I have the UHFS package)
    • Changing the volumn with the scroll steering wheel button is much more responsive
    • Web Browser is alive! Works well, id say like a tablet or phone speed.
  • Minor Items
    • Instrument cluster (IC) shows the ultrasonic sensors a bit longer duration/smoother when driving near a curb or object
    • Stronger LTE signal bar, not sure if it is just cosmetic or actually better signal (used to always be 1-2, now 3-4 bars)
    • New Maps needed to download over wifi, those happened once I got back home
    • Games still are awaiting to be downloaded even after checking the next day
    • Needed to re-sync Bluetooth phone connection and homelink garage opener
    • Fart sounds lag and don't come out of the correct speaker when you switch locations quickly (dumb test, but still weird that it broke)
    • Audio EQ only goes up to 8.0 instead of 12
  • Misc Items
    • Not sure how I feel about watching video in the car, the vertical screen and speaker separation is definitely not something I am used to.
    • Watching Plex in the browser doesn't work too well, the audio tries to do a 5.1 sound that doesnt translate correctly to the car and isnt dedicated like "Theater mode" in the entertainment. Hopefully they add Plex as a native app.
    • Limited testing but Supercharging speeds seem the same
    • Lost AM/FM/XM (knew this was going to happen obviously) so this makes the audio choices look very limited
    • AP1 seems the same. I wasn't expecting any change. the only difference I noticed is the blue line that engages when you enable it goes much more quickly up the screen probably due to processing power of the new MCU2.
No one will believe you. Well, practically no one until they do it themselves. Many of us have been singing the praises of the MCU2 Upgrade for a year now. Nearly all that are "thinking about it, or don't believe they should be required to pay for it" do not believe its as good as each one of us has said it is. (This is not a challenge to debate whether it should be free.) After 7 years of MCU1, and once it started to misbehave, I have some first hand experience with MCU1, I know. I was one of the first. Every time I get in my car, and begin to drive, I am reminded how great it drives now with MCU2. There's not adequate words to describe the difference. I'd say awesome, but that word is used and abused almost as much as "like", so it inefficient to describe MCU2.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
  • Misc Items
You can get Plex in full screen through a hack that someone came up with. From your Tesla browser bring up abettertheater.com, click on "GO FULLSCREEN" at the bottom of the page. This will then take you to a YouTube redirection screen. Click on "GO TO SITE" which somehow puts the initial screen you were on into full screen mode. Many video enabled websites are available. I have only tried Plex and Disney+ and both work great! Have fun!

Abettertheater.com In full screen mode below:

20210407_152856_HDR.jpg

Plex in full screen mode:
20210407_153208_HDR.jpg

FYI This was formally named teslatheater.com but was renamed due to copyright issues. More info here.

Last edited:
You can get Plex in full screen through a hack that someone came up with. FYI This was formally named teslatheater.com but was renamed due to copyright issues. More info here.
I actually just found that shortly before you posted it. My biggest problem is the audio trying to play 5.1 and there is no "center channel" speaker so I dont get the voices. I haven't found a setting in the Plex web app to convert the audio from 5.1 channel (source) to 2.1 in car like you can with the video quality. 😞

I still cant get over the smoothness of it though, Its like when you got a 120hz TV and it has that soap opera effect and your brain cant process how smooth it looks so it seems fake.

I actually just found that shortly before you posted it. My biggest problem is the audio trying to play 5.1 and there is no "center channel" speaker so I dont get the voices. I haven't found a setting in the Plex web app to convert the audio from 5.1 channel (source) to 2.1 in car like you can with the video quality. 😞

I still cant get over the smoothness of it though, Its like when you got a 120hz TV and it has that soap opera effect and your brain cant process how smooth it looks so it seems fake.
Are you getting any sound out of the center dash speaker using Plex? I believe I am.

Good news. After arguing way more than should have been needed with the SC - one of the managers called back and agreed that I had it right. They refunded $500.

No one will believe you. Well, practically no one until they do it themselves. Many of us have been singing the praises of the MCU2 Upgrade for a year now. Nearly all that are "thinking about it, or don't believe they should be required to pay for it" do not believe its as good as each one of us has said it is. (This is not a challenge to debate whether it should be free.) After 7 years of MCU1, and once it started to misbehave, I have some first hand experience with MCU1, I know. I was one of the first. Every time I get in my car, and begin to drive, I am reminded how great it drives now with MCU2. There's not adequate words to describe the difference. I'd say awesome, but that word is used and abused almost as much as "like", so it inefficient to describe MCU2.

You realize if you're someone who is going from a Model 3 or Y to an older S or X...the pain I encountered as unbearable.

Reactions: Akikiki
Just took my 2017 AP2.5 (FSD 3.0 computer already installed) in for MCU2 upgrade. I told my service advisor there was an aftermarket stereo he said it should be fine. I asked him if the upgrade used the existing wiring harness and he said yes. I asked because the Tesla speaker outputs are spliced into line level input for two different aftermarket amps in the car. He called me a couple hours later to say that The only way they could do the upgrade was to uninstall the stereo system and make it stock, install the MCU2 to test it in Stock form and then reinstall the aftermarket stereo. I would have to of course pay hourly for them to uninstall and then reinstall my stereo. Or, take it to the original installer have them uninstall it and then reinstall after upgrade.
I’m pretty bummed, I’ve been waiting a while to finally do this upgrade. Has anyone had the MCU2 upgrade and not had issues with aftermarket stereo?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My friend just picked up a used Tesla (AP2.5, FSD paid for) and got quoted the $2k. I suggested he take it in for the eMMC recall and have them put in the FSD Autopilot Computer 3.0, then just schedule the next day to have them do the Infotainment Upgrade. Technically it would be an "other vehicle" and he should be charged $1500?

My friend just picked up a used Tesla (AP2.5, FSD paid for) and got quoted the $2k. I suggested he take it in for the eMMC recall and have them put in the FSD Autopilot Computer 3.0, then just schedule the next day to have them do the Infotainment Upgrade. Technically it would be an "other vehicle" and he should be charged $1500?
Yep. Someone else has confirmed that after discussing it with Tesla that their AP2.5 car that had the FSD computer installed fell in the "other vehicle" category so the MCU2 upgrade is only $1,500.

I would hope that they wouldn't make your friend do it in two service visits, that they see that they have already paid for FSD and that they should just do it for $1,500. (But maybe their system isn't setup to handle that situation.)

Last edited:
Yep. Someone else has confirmed that after discussing it with Tesla that their AP2.5 car that had the FSD computer installed fell in the "other vehicle" category so the MCU2 upgrade is only $1,500.

I would hope that they wouldn't make your friend do it in two service visits, that they see that they have already paid for FSD and that they should just do it for $1,500. (But maybe their system isn't setup to handle that situation.)
The representative responding through the Tesla mobile app was very adamant it was $2000, but my friend was able to get ahold of the service center and an advisor confirmed it costs $1500 for those already paid for FSD. Here's the line item for any others who have issues:
TeslaInfotainmentUpgrade.png

The representative responding through the Tesla mobile app was very adamant it was $2000, but my friend was able to get ahold of the service center and an advisor confirmed it costs $1500 for those already paid for FSD. Here's the line item for any others who have issues:
View attachment 654343
I confirm this exact line item on the estimate and invoice. My upgrade was completed today. 2017 75D with AP3 installed last year. It seems they have perfected the process, every setting was kept including homelink.

Reactions: hybridbear