Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only are the points of Jim's last paragraph - providing energy mix diversification and bestowing price stability - beneficial to EV drivers but, far more able to turn heads in Washington DC, they are consummations devoutly desired amongst those who espouse national security and for those who attempt to foster economic growth. Carefully cultivated, these arguments can - I'm not saying will, since there are profound cross-currents at play - attract elected officials and bureaucrats of various ilks across the political spectrum.

And....these points are by no means confined to the United States. They are worldwide truisms. Political-economic structures like PRC; quasi-totalitarian states like Russia can effect them more easily than the US can, which in itself is a factor that redounds to the security and growth cultivators.

I agree. Electricity is heavily domestic energy and is becoming increasingly localized with solar and in some places wind. National security issues are less pressing when local energy is sufficient.

ACEA says Passenger car registrations up +7.0% on average over first two months throughout Europe: press release
2015-03-17-NewCarRegistrationsEurope.PNG

BTW Carlos Ghosn re-elected President of ACEA for 2015.
Could only be positive for EV future...

Fed-a-palooza March 2015 continues today as the market prepares to digest tomorrow's FOMC forecast and Chair press conference:

Not much change in the market with the S&P 500 (-0.6%) trading just two points above its session low. With the FOMC policy statement scheduled to be released tomorrow afternoon, it wouldn't be surprising to see the market trade in sideways fashion until then.

Tomorrow, investors will comb through the policy statement to see whether the Fed keeps its reference to remaining "patient" ahead of the first rate hike. During her recent appearance before the Senate Banking Committee, Fed Chair Yellen said that removing the call for patience would open the door to a potential rate hike at any policy meeting that follows.

The FOMC release will be posted here at 2pm EST, and the market will likely move sharply immediately afterwards as the algos/HFT's digest the language and fight each other to move the indices up or down. I expect TSLA will be affected by this as well temporarily, up or down.

Fed-a-palooza March 2015 continues today as the market prepares to digest tomorrow's FOMC forecast and Chair press conference:

The FOMC release will be posted here at 2pm EST, and the market will likely move sharply immediately afterwards as the algos/HFT's digest the language and fight each other to move the indices up or down. I expect TSLA will be affected by this as well temporarily, up or down.
Good call; with the NASDAQ down to 4,908 after lunch, it leaps to over 5,000 after the announcement, the settling a bit to close up 0.92%. Still, Tesla outperformed the market today, rising over 3%.

Good call; with the NASDAQ down to 4,908 after lunch, it leaps to over 5,000 after the announcement, the settling a bit to close up 0.92%. Still, Tesla outperformed the market today, rising over 3%.

Yep. The Feds may have scared a lot of investors awhile back, but this recent movementonly indicates what I've been thinking as the likely scenario: FEDs cannot raise rates with Europe doing so poorly. We'll see how the market reacts overall tomorrow, but for now, every index is higher. We may be entering a new period of bullishness.

Thank you for holding us updated on the maco level :) It's not very well covered in the norwegian news.

You are most welcome -- sorry I don't post as much as I used to on this but please do check the first post in this thread for daily news!

It's going to be hard for the Feds to raise interest rates in June. Jobs creation down by 50% compared to estimates.

Yep, seems there is almost is no way June is the hike date, I think market has that at about a 5% chance right now. Honestly, given global currency manipulation by nearly every modern central bank on the planet and massive corporate leverage in the oil sector and others, I don't see how they can raise rates anytime in the near future without sending us into Depression. I think they know this but will not say it. I could of course be wrong.

You are most welcome -- sorry I don't post as much as I used to on this but please do check the first post in this thread for daily news!

Yep, seems there is almost is no way June is the hike date, I think market has that at about a 5% chance right now. Honestly, given global currency manipulation by nearly every modern central bank on the planet and massive corporate leverage in the oil sector and others, I don't see how they can raise rates anytime in the near future without sending us into Depression. I think they know this but will not say it. I could of course be wrong.

You're on point. To me, the first indication of a hike will come from how the European economy performs.

You're on point. To me, the first indication of a hike will come from how the European economy performs.

Keep your eyes on the UK elections. Campaign season just opened (they're SO lucky! Campaigning is allowed only for four weeks prior to an election!), and it is incredibly unapparent what its outcome will be: continued Conservative (aka Tory); Labor; or if a coalition will be needed for the first time in a queen's age. Err, coon's age. There are strong currents and countercurrents in England right now over that country's future in the EU, so it is an important election for all - US as well as the rest of Europe.

Dollar rally slowdown

WSJ article, Dollar Sputters After Rally

Highlights:

Many investors are bullish on the dollar long term, but consider the biggest gains over.

Slight cooling of US economy, as evidenced by the weaker than expected job report, might delay rate hike to the end of 2015. The Labor Department reported 126,000 new jobs, against expectations of 248,000.

Brightening EU outlook puts downward pressure on the dollar.

A weaker dollar might contain downward pressure on oil prices.

The expected likelihood of a rate rise in September dropped to 28%, according to the futures market.

There are expectations of Dollar/Euro parity by the end of 2015.

The ECB boosted region growth forecast to 1.5%, from 1%.

Looks good to me.

Minutes from the latest FOMC policy meeting will be released at 2pm, and as always when this happens, the market may lurch significantly one way or another in short order if the bots pick up on any surprising wording.

Minutes will appear on the page here.
And bots will digest them fast and trade based on pre-programmed word searches.

Could affect TSLA as we move towards the close, up or down.

I think it will push TSLA upwards for a close above $210.00. Cheers.

I would like to bring up exchange rates and their effect on Tesla's margin. By February 11 (the day of the quarterly report), European cars were already estimated to be delivered in Q2, so any further changes in NOK or EUR will not affect Q1 revenue or margin. However, Tesla warned that if the Dollar strengthened further after February 11, it would effect margins. I am not quite sure how. Is it because of purchasing battery cells from Panasonic?

I would like to bring up exchange rates and their effect on Tesla's margin. By February 11 (the day of the quarterly report), European cars were already estimated to be delivered in Q2, so any further changes in NOK or EUR will not affect Q1 revenue or margin. However, Tesla warned that if the Dollar strengthened further after February 11, it would effect margins. I am not quite sure how. Is it because of purchasing battery cells from Panasonic?

There is a discussion thread on the subject: FX impact potential/scenario

I think strong $ puts downward pressure on sp due to its impact on revenues from overseas, your table with comparative pricing shows at least 10% loss. There is some offset of this effect due to paying for the cells in Yen. Once GF is online my understanding is that the batteries will be paid in $ and Tesla might need to start hedging.