Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Investor's General Macroeconomic / Market Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks for that Flux- I have some exposure to real-estate markets as well and observed similar. In addition, as prices have moved back to a more normal position and inventory of distressed has been absorbed, the appetite of investor grade buyers is off existing markets. I think this correction will resume the real-estate markets to a more normal slower but positive growth (nationwide basis- of course local markets are they're own thing), where more of the buyers and sellers transition from the investor heavy character. That could actually be very helpful to new home builders going forward (in addition to improving weather!)

This is somewhat off-topic but, speaking of real estate, I wonder how much us, Canadians, should worry about the house prices here: Average Canadian home prices were 66 per cent above average U.S. prices during the first three months of this year.

This is somewhat off-topic but, speaking of real estate, I wonder how much us, Canadians, should worry about the house prices here: Average Canadian home prices were 66 per cent above average U.S. prices during the first three months of this year.

OT- A lot I think looking at that and other data- Canada has some mitigation factors by how it structures harder against lenders to unqualified buyers. That will help cushion the effect, but the current trend isn't sustainable -OT

Today, a modest increase in Consumer Sentiment was completely overshadowed by a rampant pouncing by short sellers on Amazon before and after its earnings call last night, as well as perceptions of a deteriorating situation in the Ukraine. This pulled the markets downward and took TSLA along for the ride.

Next week, we have a ton of earnings reports and economic data that will be hitting the markets, and I tend to agree with the gist of this article that says that next week could be "make or break" for the market trends, and could determine whether we have seen the bottom of this "correction" or the beginning of a further falloff across the equities market. I would think that it stands to reason that in an era of incredibly cheap money where savings accounts are all but worthless, most investors have few attractive alternatives to put their investment dollars than straight into the US equities market, so this should continue to provide upward pressure on market valuations and prices as it has throughout the Fed's continuing stimulus. That is, unless interest rates rise substantially I don't see people pulling out of the market entirely unless the situation in Ukraine turns more global in scope.

Here's a decent article on the upcoming week in macro news to read as you all position for next week. Happy investing and good luck:

Bespoke Investment Group - Think BIG - EconomicDeluge

Since the end of the harsh winter weather in mid-March, most economic indicators haven't given a very strong read on where the economy is or where its headed. On one hand, initial claims data have hit all time lows when adjusted for population growth, capacity utilization has returned to pre-recession levels, new home prices have hit an all-time high, consumer confidence seems strong and we've seen strong manufacturing data. On the other hand, total new home sales disappointed and have missed on three of four reports, total payrolls are still depressed, and the flash PMI services figure for the US missed this morning, coming in at 54.2 versus 56.2 expected.

Especially in light of action in both the bond markets (flattening yield curve led by a strong rally in the long end) and equities (mixed action up and down with huge sell offs occurring in some sectors) of late, next week could really be make-or-break. If we get a series of strong data, expect a sharp reaction across financial markets. If we get consistent misses, the FOMC statement and post-meeting presser from Fed Chair Janet Yellen will become hugely important as the market could become desperate for a stall in the taper. And if we get mixed and confusing data? It's anyone's guess, but volatility will probably rear its head in a big way.

Last edited:
My favorite economic indicator (that perfectly predicted every recession in the past 50 years) says that a recession will not happen for another 3 years:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetel...-come-until-the-yield-curve-says-so-kleintop/

Nice find, sleepy!

Sorry I haven't been updating this thread in awhile. I intended it to be more of a discussion than an economics blog by me, and haven't had as much time to devote, but if people are curious on a particular day about macro events, I can chime in. Just drop me a note here.

Incidentally, we have a ton of economic data being released tomorrow that could move the market in either direction. CPI, Jobless Claims, Industrial Production, Philly Fed Survey, Housing Market index, and more. Watch VXX and QQQ for movement pre-market tomorrow.

Flux/sleepy/others, what do you guys think of the Euro sovereign bond yields? For 10-year bonds, Italy and Spain are now paying about 3.2%, Portugal is at 3.5%, even Greece is paying 4.95% on 5-year bonds.

To me this looks like gross mispricing due to complacency, based on the widely held belief that the ECB will do whatever it takes to backstop the market. I think Europe is much more vulnerable to shocks than what those yields are implying, which is probably why the E.U., led by Germany, pushed for a very measured approach to the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

Other than China's banking system, about which I don't have enough information to know how worried I should be, my biggest macro concern right now is a return of the Euro bond crisis just when everyone thought we were out of the woods. I think the likelihood of that happening is not very high, but is still significant.

Slow couple of days in Economic news this week, followed by FOMC meeting minutes at 2pm on Wednesday.

The market (and US News outlets) have begun to display minimal concern about the Ukraine situation.

The fear indices VXX / VIX are down considerably.

People are selling blue chip "safety stocks" like IBM today and rotating back into those {insert derogatory adjective} crazy/high-flying/momo/internet growth stocks like NFLX.

NASDAQ is up and we are in sync with it.

So, rather "boring," but it would seem the market's appetite for TSLA shares below $200 continues to be significant.

- - - Updated - - -

Flux/sleepy/others, what do you guys think of the Euro sovereign bond yields? For 10-year bonds, Italy and Spain are now paying about 3.2%, Portugal is at 3.5%, even Greece is paying 4.95% on 5-year bonds.

To me this looks like gross mispricing due to complacency, based on the widely held belief that the ECB will do whatever it takes to backstop the market. I think Europe is much more vulnerable to shocks than what those yields are implying, which is probably why the E.U., led by Germany, pushed for a very measured approach to the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

Other than China's banking system, about which I don't have enough information to know how worried I should be, my biggest macro concern right now is a return of the Euro bond crisis just when everyone thought we were out of the woods. I think the likelihood of that happening is not very high, but is still significant.

Familial I do not follow Euro bond markets as closely as I perhaps should, but I go between abject fear of Eurozone default and pleasant optimism about ECB's ability to keep the region stabilized in the face of crises. Others might chime in.

Interesting piece in The Economist on the troubled union: Europe and the euro.

Few tid bits from the article:

"The biggest error was to misunderstand the underlying causes of the crisis. Because the first victim was Greece, it became accepted wisdom in Brussels (and Berlin) that the problem was profligate spending and borrowing. The Germans liked this explanation because it confirmed the suspicions they had before the creation of the euro that they might be lumbered with other countries’ debts. It also looked susceptible to a gratifyingly simple cure: ever more fiscal austerity. And it avoided any suggestion that Germany might have contributed to the crisis by running a large current-account surplus that its banks recycled in cheap loans to Mediterranean property developers.

It would then have been obvious that fiscal irresponsibility was not the culprit: Ireland had a budget surplus and very low debt. More to blame were economic imbalances, inflated property prices and dodgy bank loans. The priority should not have been tax rises and spending cuts, but reforms to improve competitiveness and a swift resolution of troubled banks, including German and French ones, that lent so irresponsibly.

Even if markets do not turn sour again, most of Europe seems stuck with low growth, high unemployment (especially for young people) and a horrible debt burden. The risk of a “lost decade” similar to Japan’s in the 1990s is worryingly high.

What is striking is how much the authors agree about the failings of the EU and the euro, which is stuck in a half-completed house. Where they differ is in the solutions they propose. Europhiles want deeper integration and more centralised powers.
Worst of all is the broad disillusion of voters with the entire European project, which will be expressed in this month’s European elections through big gains for populist and extremist parties. A more plausible idea, backed by Mr Legrain, is to restore greater freedom to national governments but reinstate the principle that they will not be rescued by the centre if they get into trouble.

The biggest worry may stem from the perception that the crisis is over. This is likely to slow or even stop further reforms. If that happens, the EU and the euro will get into trouble again—and the outcome next time could be even worse."

On the good side- the NASDAQ has (at least for now) ended it's mini-crash; More and more it performs at or better than the market as a whole. If the rotation is over; we could see some return to at least those plays that are known to be growing (proven on ERs).

The FOMC (Fed) just released meeting notes at 2pm for anyone that cares to take a look. It does not appear the bot traders have been able to make any drastic swings in the NASDAQ stick for the moment.

Tomorrow and Friday have some important items being released on home sales, jobless claims and more.

If one cares to bet on NASDAQ movement in relation to news, QQQ and PSQ are bullish and bearish ETF's, respectively.

Well, Tesla and the market are looking pretty flat on lighter volume as we close out the trading week. Keep your eyes on economic data releases in the first post of this thread to stay ahead of news folks. Happy trading.

This week was relatively quiet in terms of economic data with the Wednesday policy announcement from the FOMC taking center stage. Next week, however, will include several noteworthy releases.

On Monday, the Existing Home Sales report for May will cross the wires at 10:00 ET, while Tuesday will feature the May New Home Sales report. Also on Tuesday, the June Consumer Confidence reading will be reported at 10:00 ET, while Wednesday will be headlined by the final estimate of Q1 GDP.

Moving on, Thursday will include the weekly Initial Claims report as well as income and spending data for May.

The busy week of economic data will be punctuated by the final look at the Michigan Sentiment survey for June.

Wow -- 504k New Home Sales, just released, is a huge beat of consensus estimates. This is going to be a good day for the market. Consumer confidence beat as well.

QQQ is rocketing up as of 10am. TSLA moved up independently of the market over last few days, but this kind of market news can lift all boats. We shall see.

Wow -- 504k New Home Sales, just released, is a huge beat of consensus estimates. This is going to be a good day for the market. Consumer confidence beat as well.

QQQ is rocketing up as of 10am. TSLA moved up independently of the market over last few days, but this kind of market news can lift all boats. We shall see.
I am not saying your wrong, I don't believe you are but I find new home sale data to be worthless

1. New homes that are ordered upto a year or more before completion are recorded as sales when closed. So upto year old data
2. New homes purchased out of existing inventory not recorded until after close which can take 3 months so again history

I am not saying your wrong, I don't believe you are but I find new home sale data to be worthless

1. New homes that are ordered upto a year or more before completion are recorded as sales when closed. So upto year old data
2. New homes purchased out of existing inventory not recorded until after close which can take 3 months so again history

Not sure why that would matter. All economic metrics are trailing indicators. Good news lifts markets just the same.