Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla IPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBC News - Tesla Motors set to go public on stock market

BBC News - Tesla Motors raises $226m from going public

Jorn Madslien,
Business reporter, BBC News
Analysis: Tesla has built a strong reputation with its high-performance Roadster.

But this is not the car investors are buying.

Instead, they are buying into the hope that Tesla will put a $465m low-interest loan from the US government to good use and build an assembly plant and electric engine factory in California.

They also hope Tesla will produce its planned $50,000 car in time for a launch in 2012, and that consumers will chose this car over rival models from established carmakers.

In short, investors are betting that Tesla's technology will be successful as the motor industry moves ever closer towards electric motoring.

If they are right, the returns could be enormous, but there is no doubt that the risks are great.

And I was allocated all the extra shares I requested. Hmm.

So I just got screwed since I got the email from Morgan Stanley after I went to bed last night and by the time I logged in at work it was 9am. The guy on the phone acknowledged it was a "short window" and said there was nothing he could do. A 7am EST cutoff time is fine for the people in CA but I think the people in the East Coast got robbed. Oh well, let's see how the IPO does...

Nice opening bell event. Someone will have to tell me who the woman was, but I'm pretty sure it was Justine. If so, veeeery shrewd move by Elon and Tesla.

CNN has been hyping it pretty good during their stock market report segments. Trading starts at 11am per the CNN NY guy, although he's been flubbing his facts quite a bit this morning so who knows.

Last edited:
So I just got screwed since I got the email from Morgan Stanley after I went to bed last night and by the time I logged in at work it was 9am. The guy on the phone acknowledged it was a "short window" and said there was nothing he could do. A 7am EST cutoff time is fine for the people in CA but I think the people in the East Coast got robbed. Oh well, let's see how the IPO does...

Did you get the email earlier in the day? It said don't rely on the followup email, but check the website regularly. It also informed about the 7am deadline, and the online checklist has also had the 7am deadline listed for many days.

But I do agree that window was very short. It was priced at 10:30 last night, with the deadline at 7 am. You really had to be on top of it.

Roadster owners were given the opportunity to buy shares at the IPO price, which turned out to be $17 / share. When the market opens today, we already own our shares at a cost basis of $17. We can hold or sell immediately to the general public at whatever price the stocks opens at or trades at from here on out.

Roadster owners were given the opportunity to buy shares at the IPO price, which turned out to be $17 / share. When the market opens today, we already own our shares at a cost basis of $17. We can hold or sell immediately to the general public at whatever price the stocks opens at or trades at from here on out.

Phew, it's only at $17.80 now so I didn't lose too much. The reality is that I wanted to buy some for emotional reasons rather than because I thought it was a long term good decision so it probably worked out well for me. That being said, I obviously hope Tesla does well. I'll just go back to gambling in poker rather than the stock market...

Tesla's closing share price of $23.89 means it is now valued at $2.22bn.

Elon is almost a real billionaire if he owns over 25%. I have no idea what SpaceX, Solar City and his other investments are worth. His shares of Tesla are worth over $550 million plus he just cashed out a lot of money.
His billionaire status might last a few more months until he has to give something to the future ex-wife.

I am still of the opinion that the share price will decline as the reality of the losses sinks in. Two years is a long time. The overall economy will begin to weigh on the stock price once the IPO frenzy subsides.

Just my opinion.

Elon is almost a real billionaire if he owns over 25%. I have no idea what SpaceX, Solar City and his other investments are worth. His shares of Tesla are worth over $550 million plus he just cashed out a lot of money.
His billionaire status might last a few more months until he has to give something to the future ex-wife.

I am still of the opinion that the share price will decline as the reality of the losses sinks in. Two years is a long time. The overall economy will begin to weigh on the stock price once the IPO frenzy subsides.

Just my opinion.
It will definately go down. It's trajectory will be very similar to AONE. Easy money if you bought this morning or at IPO prices.