Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is buying back my lemon plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed everything back in August and still no check. We have borderline harassed our service center over it. If anyone here has additional tips on this process for anyone please post them.
In St. Pete Florida having been to SC 4x in my first week with the car and they're now telling me about this process. Did you ever get your check? Any final advice on navigating this process? Thank you.

Can respond to this from two viewpoints:
1) Way back in 2017 I had a lemon Infiniti, it was the first run of a brand new model (Infiniti body/tech on a benz platform, assembled on the Nissan Versa line in the UK,, so you can imagine). This was a lease. Went through the Atty General’s office, submitted all the paperwork, Nissan/Infiniti agreed to the repurchase. Nissan immediately halted the lease payments, but took three months to schedule the return appt, so during this time, the agreement I signed stated if I continued to drive the vehicle, they weren’t responsible if I killed myself in the lemon, however, I basically had a free car during this period. They had a third party agent do the inspection at a Dealership, and he was pre-sent a certified check with the paperwork to be turned over to me once I signed everything over to them.

2) My current Tesla lemon experience. Will be intentionally vague since I just signed paperwork recently. 2nd Tesla. Picked it up 6/1/2022, within 3 weeks it was in the SC for a major vehicle flaw that would have been ticktetable if you came across the right cop, in fact my VIN actually triggered a fleet wide TSB for this particular situation #1.

Zip through about 10 other tickets for various other issues and fast forward to April of 2023. Highway driving, clunk. Pulled off, vehicle would not engage in drive. Rebooted, and had an immediate whoosing sound from rear drive unit, and only front drive unit was engaging. Tesla arranged tow to SC. SC found that it was a rear drive unit failure. Vehicle was fixed after three weeks. At this point I called Tesla. Initiated a verbal defect notification, based on x days out of service for x number of issues, and also at this point mailed them over a physical defect notification. Took them two months to respond to it, but they agreed to a buyback and gave me the buyback number based on current mileage. I was out of state for medical stuff, so they agreed to wait till I returned.

I tried to get them to do the mileage deduction based on service visit number one, not the current mileage, however they would not budge. I could have hired a lawyer, but honestly it wasn’t worth it. I took a hit, however, it was way less of a hit than I would have selling the car private at current values. Loan still hasn’t been paid off, nor have I seen a check, and it’s been roughly a couple weeks so far. Was told by Tesla we need to continue making the loan payments until it’s paid off, for a vehicle we no longer have.

Last edited:
Can respond to this from two viewpoints:
1) Way back in 2017 I had a lemon Infiniti, it was the first run of a brand new model (Infiniti body/tech on a benz platform, assembled on the Nissan Versa line in the UK,, so you can imagine). This was a lease. Went through the Atty General’s office, submitted all the paperwork, Nissan/Infiniti agreed to the repurchase. Nissan immediately halted the lease payments, but took three months to schedule the return appt, so during this time, the agreement I signed stated if I continued to drive the vehicle, they weren’t responsible if I killed myself in the lemon, however, I basically had a free car during this period. They had a third party agent do the inspection at a Dealership, and he was pre-sent a certified check with the paperwork to be turned over to me once I signed everything over to them.

2) My current Tesla lemon experience. Will be intentionally vague since I just signed paperwork recently. 2nd Tesla. Picked it up 6/1/2022, within 3 weeks it was in the SC for a major vehicle flaw that would have been ticktetable if you came across the right cop, in fact my VIN actually triggered a fleet wide TSB for this particular situation #1.

Zip through about 10 other tickets for various other issues and fast forward to April of 2023. Highway driving, clunk. Pulled off, vehicle would not engage in drive. Rebooted, and had an immediate whoosing sound from rear drive unit, and only front drive unit was engaging. Tesla arranged tow to SC. SC found that it was a rear drive unit failure. Vehicle was fixed after three weeks. At this point I called Tesla. Initiated a verbal defect notification, based on x days out of service for x number of issues, and also at this point mailed them over a physical defect notification. Took them two months to respond to it, but they agreed to a buyback and gave me the buyback number based on current mileage. I was out of state for medical stuff, so they agreed to wait till I returned.

I tried to get them to do the mileage deduction based on service visit number one, not the current mileage, however they would not budge. I could have hired a lawyer, but honestly it wasn’t worth it. I took a hit, however, it was way less of a hit than I would have selling the car private at current values. Loan still hasn’t been paid off, nor have I seen a check, and it’s been roughly a couple weeks so far. Was told by Tesla we need to continue making the loan payments until it’s paid off, for a vehicle we no longer have.
How did your repurchase go? I am in the same boat and got a repurchase offer however, the first offer was wrong and now attorney is waiting for Tesla to provide a correct offer. This is taking soooo long and I wish I did not go through an attorney even though it is not any money at out my pocket. I will be most likely taking a hit and writing them a check to get rid of the car but that is less money than me dealign with the current value of selling it privately and the hassle of doing that. I have some negative equity that I rolled into this loan but have been paying the monthly payments for several months and wondering if those monthly payments will still be counting towards the buyback offer or if those payments are null and void...

How did your repurchase go? I am in the same boat and got a repurchase offer however, the first offer was wrong and now attorney is waiting for Tesla to provide a correct offer. This is taking soooo long and I wish I did not go through an attorney even though it is not any money at out my pocket. I will be most likely taking a hit and writing them a check to get rid of the car but that is less money than me dealign with the current value of selling it privately and the hassle of doing that. I have some negative equity that I rolled into this loan but have been paying the monthly payments for several months and wondering if those monthly payments will still be counting towards the buyback offer or if those payments are null and void...

User name does not check out 😉