Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is canceling some deliveries which was scheduled at Dec 31 2019 8PM!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks a lot for being so warm. Yes under the account the scheduled delivery date is not changed. But they already decided that there is no chance for the people who got the call and that showed in their system, not under customer's account. I basically asked every possibilities.

As you are in San Jose just try to stop by factory on 12/31 and see if they can assign you one. there will be people who would have missed the delivery date.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhaseWhite
So, as I am not the only one got fooled means what they are doing is right and we the customer needs to be so considerate and hold no complain?

fooling requires intentional deceit. tesla has no incentive to deceive you. if they could sell 1000 extra cars before the end of the year, they would.

all i explained is why they would not write you a two-thousand dollar discount: because there is surplus demand for the car. because the salesperson does not represent a dealer that owns the car at "invoice". because they themselves dont loan and hence do not profit through financing (to offset the 'discount'). and their sales model has been so far for no-negotiations. nobody here has bought one on discount.

they want to deliver you a car in time, but for whatever reasons, it doesnt seem like that will happen. unfortunate for you, but thats just how it is. directing your ire at me or them wont change that.

of course they will not offer compensation.
(1) theyre not a dealership, and hence they havent bought the car from the manufacturer, with a margin to play around with.
(2) what the other person meant, is that the retail price of the car is likely to go down next year, as it has historically been reduced when the federal incentives are cut. so the net price to consumer is similar

in a way, i sympathize with them. you have to understand that once again, it is not a dealership, and they do not have excess inventory. if the car is not available on december 31 at 8pm, there is no way, moving mountain and earth, that this person will be able to provide you another car exactly as you want.

this isnt a retail clothing operation where the poor attitude prevents the employee from going to the back and grabbing you another shirt. the production of the car is out of their control, and there is more people who want it than there are cars.
"the production of the car is out of their control" --> NO, they always have control of production which cars will be built when. They "intentionally" made lots of "inventory" cars even though they already have lots of unfulfilled orders in order to make profits maximized. Tesla did WRONG this time and they will pay the consequences in a long run.

"the production of the car is out of their control" --> NO, they always have control of production which cars will be built when. They "intentionally" made lots of "inventory" cars even though they already have lots of unfulfilled orders in order to make profits maximized. Tesla did WRONG this time and they will pay the consequences in a long run.

im talking about the sales and delivery staff who was accused by OP of being callous. the person in contact with customers. that person has control over the production schedule.

fooling requires intentional deceit. tesla has no incentive to deceive you. if they could sell 1000 extra cars before the end of the year, they would.

all i explained is why they would not write you a two-thousand dollar discount: because there is surplus demand for the car. because the salesperson does not represent a dealer that owns the car at "invoice". because they themselves dont loan and hence do not profit through financing (to offset the 'discount'). and their sales model has been so far for no-negotiations. nobody here has bought one on discount.

they want to deliver you a car in time, but for whatever reasons, it doesnt seem like that will happen. unfortunate for you, but thats just how it is. directing your ire at me or them wont change that.
I don't know who you are and why you speak so hard for Tesla. sales person did not intentionally fool me does not mean Tesla, the corporation, does not has responsibilities for this situation. I am complaining Tesla as a whole, not specifically a person. I think most people in this forum are very well educated and wise enough to know that Tesla intentionally do cheap things to make more profit. But people like you keep saying that I should not blabla to justify for Tesla, which is weird.

I sympathize, but I do think this is an oversimplification. They are legitimately trying to maximize the number of orders that get delivered and batch manufacturing is a part of that.

This happens at every manufacturer to some degree or another, it is just a LOT more visible here due to the tax credit expiration.

The only thing that bothers me is their unwillingness to offer some sort of discount on a cehic next year as compensation. OTOH, that might change on Jan 1...

I was assigned the delivery date and time at Fremont factory sells center on Dec 31 2019 at 8pm (as many people), I double confirmed with the employee at the Fremont delivery center and the factory sells center and both gave me the confirmation. But then a lady called me and told me that my car cannot be delivered before the end of 2019 and SA would contact me. So far no one ever tried to contact me.

You might still get a car since some people will get cold feet, etc. They are *really* disorganized at end of quarter with all their internal volunteers that don't know what they are doing! It is a zoo in my experience and very fluid situation.

I will be volunteering this year on 12/31 and volunteered last year to show people how to pair their phones, etc.

Here is my 9/30/2018 last day of 2018 Q3 Model 3 story: (briefly) I'm a stockholder so was doing them a favor I could have waited until Q4 with same tax credit.

1. They let me out of my $2K+/month March 2016 Model X P90D lease 6 months early so I could buy a Model 3 Performance. Note it had to be a Performance model to cover their hit on the early lease return. Okay - whatever.

2. They were supposed to home deliver it to my Fremont house on 9/30 midday from their home delivery hub south of factory on Kato (used to be old Fremont service). No show and no contact. WTF?

3. I drove to said home delivery hub. Manager searched "no cars" for home delivery we're really sorry. Why don't you go to the Fremont Delivery Center to see if they can help you?

4. Drove to Fremont Delivery Center and talked to a manager who searched inventory: "We have a VIN we can give you, it's not Performance, and it is black instead of white interior, would that work?" [me: Yes! I didn't really want Performance anyway since my wife didn't like it whenever I "launched" our Model X].

5. I asked like 5 times "Are you sure I can return the X 6 months early to buy this Model 3 Dual Motor w/ AP"? They called "Ownership Loyalty" and got approval.

6. Closed the deal on the iPad around 11 pm. Hung around to help other people with basic operation of their new cars.

7. Left our Model X parked where they told me to.

8. It took until January 2019(!!!) for TSLA and US Bank to inspect the 2016 Model X P90D and close out my lease. Good thing I saved a bunch of photos to document the condition. There were no extra charges except for some extra miles.

Bottom line: Tesla is all hands on deck 12/31/2019. If I were in your shoes, I would just show up with my original email invitation (play dumb) and try to pick up your car. if they can locate a Model 3 that meets your requirements they will definitely sell it to you to help their 2019 Q4 and 2019 annual sales and financials.

You might even see Elon there if he's in town at this "event". He dropped by on 12/31/2017 with former CFO Uhuja at Fremont Delivery Center. My friend said CFO was personally "approving" personal checks to pay cash! No kidding.

Worst case you can enjoy a special Tesla event with DJ, food and drinks (if it's like other "events" I've attended), and meet some other owners.

Good luck!!

Russ

Suddenly, they offered me used car (with ~1000 mile) with the same spec, is there any concerns about the used car?

They should give you a per mile discount for the 1,000 miles. My car has ~25,000 miles in 15 months so far I've never had to get anything fixed. One time they sold me a new tire and did a free part upgrade, that's it! My service rep through in free wheel balancing YMMV.

If it has never been titled before you will still get the tax credit. I would go for it after you inspect the vehicle and document anything you want them to take car of on the "due bill". There is an inspection checklist you can google for it.

Russ

Last edited:
All buyers should know that Tesla employees are trained to close the deal on the iPad, first, before you get to see your car. It is just to save time because everyone wants to qualify for the tax credit.

What I did on 9/30/2019 is ask to see my car, FIRST. While the person closed somebody else, I inspected mine (it was excellent). Then I returned and quickly closed my deal.

If your inspection finds something - mine didn't, but months later I discovered the rubber accelerator pedal was missing from mine when I installed an OEM aftermarket "performance" one LOL - you just add it to the "Due Bill". They have to do everything on the Due Bill in 2020 when you bring it into service.

Just make sure you finish your deal before 2019-12-31-11-59 so you qualify for the credit!

Have fun!

They should give you a per mile discount for the 1,000 miles. My car has ~25,000 miles in 15 months so far I've never had to get anything fixed. One time they sold me a new tire and did a free part upgrade, that's it!

If it has never been titled before you will still get the tax credit. I would go for it after you inspect the vehicle and document anything you want them to take car of on the "due bill". There is an inspection checklist you can google for it.

Russ

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: PhaseWhite
I don't know who you are and why you speak so hard for Tesla. sales person did not intentionally fool me does not mean Tesla, the corporation, does not has responsibilities for this situation. I am complaining Tesla as a whole, not specifically a person. I think most people in this forum are very well educated and wise enough to know that Tesla intentionally do cheap things to make more profit. But people like you keep saying that I should not blabla to justify for Tesla, which is weird.

What's weird is you keep using that word fooled, but want to backtrack on that claim.

You said you're complaining about Tesla the company, and not about a person. And yet you said your salesman "sucks" and has "terrible attitude", and was baffled why he was so "happy" to just offer you a refund.

I'm telling you why: because that salesman likely has no resources or recourse to deliver you the car you want this year, if he can't offer do it by December 31st, 8pm; and it's already Saturday 28th now.

It's really as simple as that. I have no allegiance to Tesla, and no affiliation besides owning a car. What I told you is just an impartial, sensical explaination. And you want to get personal with me about attitudes and outlooks because you didn't like what you read. If I write what I infer about your attitude, you would like it even less.

From what I can tell it looks like the last batch of SR+ cars that were scheduled to be built got pushed back. I don’t think any AWD or Performance orders were cancelled. The existing inventory site continues to be populated with new inventory throughout the day although it sells out quickly. But if you are flexible on trim level I would keep an eye on the inventory site.

The sales reps can’t promise to credit the $1,875 because they don’t have authority to do so. Last year Elon did tweet that if you placed your order and they couldn’t delivery by 12/31 they would cover the $3,750 that you missed out on by waiting until January. We haven’t heard anything from Elon yet but I’m sure someone is going to tweet him about this. It’s really not that much money, especially on cars that had either FSD or a paint or wheel upgrade. My guess is they will do something for the people who missed their deliveries but it’s probably too soon to know what that might be.

Hang in there everyone. There are still three days left and anything can happen. Orders get cancelled, new inventory shows up at the last minute. Tesla has never had this much demand for their product so we are in unfamiliar territory here.

You might still get a car since some people will get cold feet, etc. They are *really* disorganized at end of quarter with all their internal volunteers that don't know what they are doing! It is a zoo in my experience and very fluid situation.

I will be volunteering this year on 12/31 and volunteered last year to show people how to pair their phones, etc.

Here is my 9/30/2018 last day of 2018 Q3 Model 3 story: (briefly) I'm a stockholder so was doing them a favor I could have waited until Q4 with same tax credit.

1. They let me out of my $2K+/month March 2016 Model X P90D lease 6 months early so I could buy a Model 3 Performance. Note it had to be a Performance model to cover their hit on the early lease return. Okay - whatever.

2. They were supposed to home deliver it to my Fremont house on 9/30 midday from their home delivery hub south of factory on Kato (used to be old Fremont service). No show and no contact. WTF?

3. I drove to said home delivery hub. Manager searched "no cars" for home delivery we're really sorry. Why don't you go to the Fremont Delivery Center to see if they can help you?

4. Drove to Fremont Delivery Center and talked to a manager who searched inventory: "We have a VIN we can give you, it's not Performance, and it is black instead of white interior, would that work?" [me: Yes! I didn't really want Performance anyway since my wife didn't like it whenever I "launched" our Model X].

5. I asked like 5 times "Are you sure I can return the X 6 months early to buy this Model 3 Dual Motor w/ AP"? They called "Ownership Loyalty" and got approval.

6. Closed the deal on the iPad around 11 pm. Hung around to help other people with basic operation of their new cars.

7. Left our Model X parked where they told me to.

8. It took until January 2019(!!!) for TSLA and US Bank to inspect the 2016 Model X P90D and close out my lease. Good thing I saved a bunch of photos to document the condition. There were no extra charges except for some extra miles.

Bottom line: Tesla is all hands on deck 12/31/2019. If I were in your shoes, I would just show up with my original email invitation (play dumb) and try to pick up your car. if they can locate a Model 3 that meets your requirements they will definitely sell it to you to help their 2019 Q4 and 2019 annual sales and financials.

You might even see Elon there if he's in town at this "event". He dropped by on 12/31/2017 with former CFO Uhuja at Fremont Delivery Center. My friend said CFO was personally "approving" personal checks to pay cash! No kidding.

Worst case you can enjoy a special Tesla event with DJ, food and drinks (if it's like other "events" I've attended), and meet some other owners.

Good luck!!

Russ

Russ - What time does your volunteering hours start ? are they only doing deliveries in Factory or Fremont Delivery Center also ? - AJ

Russ - What time does your volunteering hours start ? are they only doing deliveries in Factory or Fremont Delivery Center also ? - AJ

I am signed up for 5-7 pm at Fremont Delivery Center through the Tesla Owners Club of Silicon Valley. I think the mass delivery "party" moves over to the Factory at 8 pm since buyers have been receiving emails to go there to pick up their new cars then at a "Delivery Event". It will be interesting to see what kind of "Event" this is and if Elon or another C-level shows up for it.

It seems they want to eliminate the time it takes Tesla drivers to drive cars from the Fremont Factory Outboard Logistics lot to FDC and various temporary staging parking lots that were used last year and in 2017. That was crazy! I makes sense to delivery the cars right out of outbound logistics using a large (white of course!) tent with wifi connected to the Tesla iPads. That is what I expect they will do.

Tesla loves tents as we all know.

Dress warm!

Russ

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Matt L and Watts_Up