Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is letting non-Tesla EVs use its Supercharger network (10 stations in the Netherlands)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Important reason to stick at Tesla will be gone If I can use with a non Tesla the reliable Tesla charge network.
At least currently when Tesla is battery/vehicle production constrained, building more Superchargers and making them available for non-Tesla vehicles increases their revenue rate and margin. Maybe requiring Tesla App to charge will convert more people to Tesla with an easy in-app vehicle purchase flow. But overall yes, unclear how that will balance out with some liking the EV charging experience but not Tesla ownership and vice versa.

At least currently when Tesla is battery/vehicle production constrained, building more Superchargers and making them available for non-Tesla vehicles increases their revenue rate and margin. Maybe requiring Tesla App to charge will convert more people to Tesla with an easy in-app vehicle purchase flow. But overall yes, unclear how that will balance out with some liking the EV charging experience but not Tesla ownership and vice versa.
With only about 2-3% of the vehicles being electric, I think we have a long time before Tesla has to worry about lost demand due to opening the charging network.

Reactions: whiskeylover
Anyone seen the Audi E-Tron charging? Tesla is going to have nightmares from both Tesla and non-Tesla users with short cables.

Why? E-Tron had to park at the next spot to connect to charge. So some will not be able to charge with uncoordinated park/charge layout.

Reactions: FFR6288
Anyone seen the Audi E-Tron charging? Tesla is going to have nightmares from both Tesla and non-Tesla users with short cables.

Why? E-Tron had to park at the next spot to connect to charge. So some will not be able to charge with uncoordinated park/charge layout.
It sounds like Tesla will only allow others at “less busy” locations.

While on our Route 66 road trip last month, from California to New Mexico I encountered a non Tesla ev car using supercharger in Sedon, Az.
Not good for Tesla owners expecting access to superchargers while out of town, not to mention the addition of hertz rental cars that will be using superchargers

Attachments

• 65A450EA-96EC-48DB-98F3-BECCBB6C9F5D.jpeg
    65A450EA-96EC-48DB-98F3-BECCBB6C9F5D.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 105
  • F06B77F7-A011-4171-AFFF-9A83C6464097.jpeg
    F06B77F7-A011-4171-AFFF-9A83C6464097.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 83
Worry about running out of charging spots has been a thing with some folks since Tesla opened their first supercharging station. It turned out that "once in a while" during peak usage times did people have to form a line and wait for charging.

Some of those people were locals who could easily have charged at home but found Tesla cheaper. If people would charge earlier or later in the day it would cut down on crowding when the tourists come through at 10AM to 4PM. Crowding remarkably goes away at dinner time, and after dark it just about disappears. Met one guy who was charging at 10PM near Disneyland who figured it was something he could do while the family got cleaned up and ready for bed. There were a dozen empty chargers.

Reactions: alexgr
While on our Route 66 road trip last month, from California to New Mexico I encountered a non Tesla ev car using supercharger in Sedon, Az.
Not good for Tesla owners expecting access to superchargers while out of town, not to mention the addition of hertz rental cars that will be using superchargers
While that car is "plugged in" with an adapter, the adapter doesn't support Supercharging and the car wouldn't be able to charge. Most likely, the driver was just testing to see if it would work or wanted to park in that location and make it appear that they were Supercharging.

Tesla has begun opening up Superchargers to non-Teslas but currently this pilot program only exists at 10 Superchargers in the Netherlands. Eventually other locations will be opened up to allow non-Teslas to charge. In North America, this will require either an adapter or a modification to the Supercharger to include a CCS plug, similar to how Tesla transitioned Superchargers to CCS in Europe.

Until the pilot is expanded, if you see a non-Tesla "plugged in" at a Supercharger, be aware that they are not really charging. They are either trying to charge or pretending to charge or they are one of the very few number of custom cars that have been modified to include old Tesla charge ports, batteries, etc.

Worry about running out of charging spots has been a thing with some folks since Tesla opened their first supercharging station. It turned out that "once in a while" during peak usage times did people have to form a line and wait for charging.

Some of those people were locals who could easily have charged at home but found Tesla cheaper. If people would charge earlier or later in the day it would cut down on crowding when the tourists come through at 10AM to 4PM. Crowding remarkably goes away at dinner time, and after dark it just about disappears. Met one guy who was charging at 10PM near Disneyland who figured it was something he could do while the family got cleaned up and ready for bed. There were a dozen empty chargers.
Visiting CA I noticed that their Superchargers are filled to the brim with Model S using their unlimited Supercharging. A big Tesla mistake was to allow unlimited Supercharging forever in early years.

Visiting CA I noticed that their Superchargers are filled to the brim with Model S using their unlimited Supercharging. A big Tesla mistake was to allow unlimited Supercharging forever in early years.
This is the same argument as "it's a mistake" for Tesla to build in FSD hardware in every single car. You may not benefit from it, but Tesla benefits from it - DATA, lots and lots of it to see further into the future than the competition. If Supercharging were not unlimited, then utilization would've been low. I doubt Tesla would've been able to gather the data they wanted and I doubt the Supercharging network would be what it is today.

Think of it as Tesla's focus group, except better.

Reactions: Ciaopec and msm859
I would completely disagree. Full disclosure I got my model X in December 2019 - the end the the free Supercharging. Tesla in the early years needed to stimulate sales. I am sure they did the math and calculated they made more money with that offer and the premium they charged for the S and X. It is kind of like flying first class. People like the "free" food and drinks. Airlines like that they can charge an extreme premium for first class seats - they are not losing money by offering the "free" food/drinks. Cars with free supercharging is a non issue for Tesla. Said cars are a finite number that are only decreasing - accidents/sales. And when you see an "S" at a supercharger you have no way to know if they in fact have unlimited Supercharging.

While that car is "plugged in" with an adapter, the adapter doesn't support Supercharging and the car wouldn't be able to charge. Most likely, the driver was just testing to see if it would work or wanted to park in that location and make it appear that they were Supercharging.

Tesla has begun opening up Superchargers to non-Teslas but currently this pilot program only exists at 10 Superchargers in the Netherlands. Eventually other locations will be opened up to allow non-Teslas to charge. In North America, this will require either an adapter or a modification to the Supercharger to include a CCS plug, similar to how Tesla transitioned Superchargers to CCS in Europe.

Until the pilot is expanded, if you see a non-Tesla "plugged in" at a Supercharger, be aware that they are not really charging. They are either trying to charge or pretending to charge or they are one of the very few number of custom cars that have been modified to include old Tesla charge ports, batteries, etc.
Those are Urban Superchargers providing a max of 75kW. But the car is not supercharging, just connected via an L2 adapter meant for use with Tesla's HPWC, which will charge non Tesla vehicles at something below 11kW.