Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is not slacking off with deliveries. WOW!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
So I configured a long range RWD model 3 with EAP on June 27th when the configurator opened for me. The delivery estimator said "3-5 months". But I got a call from Tesla yesterday that my Model 3 would be ready as early as July 17th. My financing was approved this morning. Tesla is moving fast with deliveries now. They are definitely not slacking off. But so excited to be getting my Model 3 this month!!

I know this is anecdotal evidence but others have similar reports. Tesla's July and August delivery numbers are going to look really really good.

Last edited:
So I configured a long range RWD model 3 with EAP on June 27th when the configurator opened for me. The delivery estimator said "3-5 months". But I got a call from Tesla yesterday that my Model 3 would be ready as early as July 17th. My financing was approved this morning. Tesla is moving fast with deliveries now. They are definitely not slacking off. But so excited to be getting my Model 3 this month!!

I know this is anecdotal evidence but others have similar reports. Tesla's July and August delivery numbers are going to look really really good.

Congrats on the very soon to be new car owner.
Very jealous.
Can’t wait to be in the same position 3-5 months from now for the AWD.
Keep us posted.

Very likely another order cancelled theirs with the same specs to get awd or performance so they put you in line for it

Yes, I agree that is probably what happened. My good fortune indeed. :)

I know some people are mad that Tesla is delivering cars so soon to people who were late reservation holders but I think what Tesla is doing makes all the sense in the world. If someone cancelled their order to get a different car, why wouldn't they go to the next person on their list who configured that car and try to seal the deal? With the surge in production, Tesla has thousands of LR-RWD cars just sitting on the lot doing nothing. It makes sense for Tesla to try to unload those cars to paying customers as soon as possible.

Yes, I agree that is probably what happened. My good fortune indeed. :)

I know some people are mad that Tesla is delivering cars so soon to people who were late reservation holders but I think what Tesla is doing makes all the sense in the world. If someone cancelled their order to get a different car, why wouldn't they go to the next person on their list who configured that car and try to seal the deal? With the surge in production, Tesla has thousands of LR-RWD cars just sitting on the lot doing nothing. It makes sense for Tesla to try to unload those cars to paying customers as soon as possible.
Congrats. I hope we all get our cars in mass quantities this month. I was hoping Tesla would do something dramatic like what they did in Canada. I think they delivered cars at some convention center. At least they are trying different things such as home deliveries...not sure how efficient it is.

Reactions: diplomat33

Have you been told a VIN? If so, is the VIN on your Tesla account?

I have delivery scheduled next Thursday (the 12 of July) and I have a VIN provided via email, but no VIN on my Tesla account.

I also ordered the adapter from Tesla store that I need to charge July 1st, and it hasnt shipped yet... so kind of stuck with the normal 15 amp wall plug until that arrives.

Sometimes I wish that I decided to go with RWD instead of AWD just so I would have a chance of getting it sooner -- like this summer. I still think AWD is the right one for me, but I want one.... NOW!!!!!!

I'm right there with you. I've waffled back and forth, but for now I'm trying to do something with a new car that I've never done before...be patient and get what I truly prefer. I certainly don't need AWD here in Texas, but I want the faster car, so there it is...

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Have you been told a VIN? If so, is the VIN on your Tesla account?

I have delivery scheduled next Thursday (the 12 of July) and I have a VIN provided via email, but no VIN on my Tesla account.

I also ordered the adapter from Tesla store that I need to charge July 1st, and it hasnt shipped yet... so kind of stuck with the normal 15 amp wall plug until that arrives.

No VIN just yet but the email I got from Tesla said that is normal. I emailed Tesla this morning that I accepted the financing terms so as soon as they update my account, I should have a VIN.

i'm just up the I5 in Vancouver and with the amount of snow we getup here (all 5 days a year), I couldn't justify the added cost.
To each their own.

I had a RWD Nissan 350Z and had to abandon it on the side of the road because it couldn't make it to the top of the hill while I was heading home. I got an AWD SUV a couple weeks later. That has never had an issue on the road in any way, including the really bad storms we got back in 2008 where it snowed for a week straight. And I drove in it almost every day.

This past Christmas Eve, we were heading to a friend's house for dinner, and my wife insisted we take her Prius instead of my SUV (because gas mileage). That thing could barely make it up the small lip to get out of our side street onto the main street, and when I tried to turn onto another side street, it just broke traction and kept going forward. We went back, got my SUV, and never had an issue.

I don't know how good the RWD Model 3 is. Perhaps it's way better than any other RWD or FWD. Perhaps I could get away with just getting winter tires. But I really don't have the inclination to keep a separate set of tires. AWD gives me the peace of mind for dealing with whatever happens w/ weather, and gives me added acceleration to boot.

No VIN just yet but the email I got from Tesla said that is normal. I emailed Tesla this morning that I accepted the financing terms so as soon as they update my account, I should have a VIN.

To get to the delivery date, I have also accepted financing. But the VIN still has not shown up on my account, so as an FYI it might not be there after this point.

I do not think it will affect delivery (at least that is the hope) but has anyone else not had a VIN show up before delivery date?

To each their own.

I had a RWD Nissan 350Z and had to abandon it on the side of the road because it couldn't make it to the top of the hill while I was heading home. I got an AWD SUV a couple weeks later. That has never had an issue on the road in any way, including the really bad storms we got back in 2008 where it snowed for a week straight. And I drove in it almost every day.

This past Christmas Eve, we were heading to a friend's house for dinner, and my wife insisted we take her Prius instead of my SUV (because gas mileage). That thing could barely make it up the small lip to get out of our side street onto the main street, and when I tried to turn onto another side street, it just broke traction and kept going forward. We went back, got my SUV, and never had an issue.

I don't know how good the RWD Model 3 is. Perhaps it's way better than any other RWD or FWD. Perhaps I could get away with just getting winter tires. But I really don't have the inclination to keep a separate set of tires. AWD gives me the peace of mind for dealing with whatever happens w/ weather, and gives me added acceleration to boot.
RWD on a Tesla isn't comparable to RWD on ICE cars (especially ones with the engine in the front). Since the battery pack is so low and makes up such a large percentage of the total weight of the car, they do very well in the snow.

Also, AWD isn't a substitute for snow tires. It will help you get started but won't do anything to help you stop.