Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is red hot in China, for different reasons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, BTW, that's also true for Europe (street parking). And sure, it is a smaller problem with the S and the X, as people shopping in that price range may mostly have garages. But when Model E comes...

... it could well increase the opportunities for shared-lot and on-street parking. It's a significant obstacle, but I really do believe that if you have a car like the Model E available for $35k, with implication that short-range BEV and PHEV will also become cheaper, the higher volume and popularity would first lead to shifts in the attitudes of landlords and property management and from there lead to policy support for addition of infrastructure for on-street charging.

The fundamental principle is that if you could charge a car wherever you park it, it's just a matter of adding the charging infrastructure, and so many people live in buildings retrofitted with electricity, telephone, cable television and mains natural gas, yet charging cars, which is simple in electrical terms, is seen as some insurmountable problem.

... it could well increase the opportunities for shared-lot and on-street parking. It's a significant obstacle, but I really do believe that if you have a car like the Model E available for $35k, with implication that short-range BEV and PHEV will also become cheaper, the higher volume and popularity would first lead to shifts in the attitudes of landlords and property management and from there lead to policy support for addition of infrastructure for on-street charging.

The fundamental principle is that if you could charge a car wherever you park it, it's just a matter of adding the charging infrastructure, and so many people live in buildings retrofitted with electricity, telephone, cable television and mains natural gas, yet charging cars, which is simple in electrical terms, is seen as some insurmountable problem.

Great post!

I completely agree with this. If you own an apartment complex in 202X and 10% of the population has EV's, then you are shrinking your potential market by 10% if you don't have charging infrastructure in place. It isn't hard to implement either; you can start with a couple spots and build out new ones as demand grows.

As a matter of fact, I am sure that if you started your own brand new apartment complex with charging infrastructure in place for every parking spot (covered and with solar panels) then demand for your apartments would be through the roof in certain geographies.

I would love to see other companies start licensing it to get access to the network. Whether they would pay up in advance to Tesla (per car), their customers would pay at the SC with a credit card, or a combination of these two scenarios, it would almost be pure profit for Tesla.

At the moment there are no other cars which would benefit from superchargers. You need big battery to be able to use big power. E.g. Nissan leaf can not take more than round 50 kW, which it will get from thousands of chademo-stations. But in the long run this is good idea.

I didn't see Chinese hip-hop video shoot in the itinerary...

mu4e5uqy.jpg

Thanks for the good China coverage maoing, there's no way I'd be able to find these forums let alone navigate them. Great job!

Was that a screen or kiosk type bit in between the two SC stalls? Is there a pay for element in the future of SC in China??

Which? The tall white box with vents and a hood right between the two cord stations? That's the Supercharger itself, the stack of 12 car chargers, normally hidden away in other locations but the same as some space constrained locations like malls. Or was it another kiosk looking thing I missed?

Benz,
Musk pictures are included along with wife, kids and secret service looking dude complete with earpiece :)

Always good to see Talulah and the kids around - good for Elon's sanity. Also good to see they are taking Elon and his family's personal safety seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see Chinese hip-hop video shoot in the itinerary...

mu4e5uqy.jpg

Thanks for the good China coverage maoing, there's no way I'd be able to find these forums let alone navigate them. Great job!

Ha! Maybe it's a Chinese celebrity getting one of the first Model S.