Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is Total Junk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too many people think Tesla cars are ready for the masses, they are not. The only people who should be buying any EV are people who consider themselves to be “early adopters.“ Such people understand that new products have issues and are willing to tolerate such issues.

Cars like BMWs, Mercedes, etc. have a long history, owners expect and get superior quality from such brands. Unfortunately, this is simply not a reasonable expectation for Tesla, or any EV, at present.
Really, I rarely hear anything good about BMWs, Mercedes, etc... Lexus, on the other hand, are supposed to last forever. My Japan built Toyota started to develop engine noises after 10 years/180k kms, not to mention a set of other problems (e.g. fan is very loud, rubber fitting fell off, piece of bottom shielding fell off, paint peeling, rear seat wouldn't lock into place), which is why I bought a Tesla. After reading car owners boasting ever lasting engines, then listing a million things they have had to replace (water pump, timing belt, alternator, etc...), I have given up on issue-free ownership experience. I believe ICE engines are the best for DIY mechanics (it cost very little to fix/renew an engine if you know how to rebuild it yourself), EVs (or public transit) for everyone else.

I don't think Toyota lives up to the hype. I rented a Toyota (for work), which was less than 6 months old. Interestingly, this Toyota had higher road noise than my Tesla. It also had buzzing headliner, minor rattles on highway, loud engine noise, and almost nonexistent acceleration.

I don't think Toyota lives up to the hype. I rented a Toyota (for work), which was less than 6 months old. Interestingly, this Toyota had higher road noise than my Tesla. It also had buzzing headliner, minor rattles on highway, loud engine noise, and almost nonexistent acceleration.
That sums up Toyota for you. :D They can last forever if you are willing to ignore all the minor things and keep them well maintained, but not very good cars.

Definitely a troll post, but what's crazy is I kind of, sort of agree with him. When people ask me about my Model S, this is how I truly answer them...

"It is by a mile my favourite car I've ever owned, whilst being the worst car I've ever owned".

I know that seems like a total contradiction, but for me, it's not. I've driven virtually every car in the class and there is NO car that feels as exhilirating as my Model S (I just ordered a brand new Non-Plaid one - should get it in about 3 weeks). However, coming from owning several Lexus's, I can say objectively it has not (from a reliability perspective) been even close to my other cars. In this last year, I've been in for maintenance 8 times for a total of about $14,000.00. My car has 160,000 km.

My last Lexus (an IS350) had about 168,000 km when I got rid of it and I had never had a single service (other than for routine maintenance... oil, brakes, filters etc..). My experience is also that the Tesla Customer Service experience has gone downhill (severely) from when I first got the car. Back in 2017, the service was as good or better than Lexus. Now, I feel like service is on par with "Jed's junkyard" in Outback Missouri.

So, in a way, I get the OP's orginal post (even if it is a troll), but I am in this very strange place where I LOVE my car yet HATE the company. In any event, I also have a Porsche Taycan on order so I will have a chance to compare them both head to head and give my honest opinion on all matters.

My own experience with a couple of S-class benz (And E class is the same) is that if you keep them after the warranty is over, be ready to spend up to 10k a year in repairs basically every year as things like transmission and air suspension regularly need to be replaced after 100k or so.

The biggest problem with the german cars that the japanese cars don't have is that some parts are placed in locations that needs many hours of labor to get to - you have to remove perfectly fine parts just to be able to replace the ones that fail (and it's a guess by the mechanic if the part is the real cause).

And because I don't finance or lease them I try to keep them too long - which was fine with Hondas and Lexus, but the benz are very expensive to repair - don't keep them for more than 7 years - like clockwork, the repairs will be horrific.

Luxury means different things to people. Shiny knobs and Lacquer wood doesn't mean much to me. The austere interiors of MS and MX are perfectly fine. If only MY and M3 have a screen above the steering wheel (but my wife doesn't mind).

Reliability wise, it's still a fraction to fix compared to the benz cars. Though watch out for the suspension and control arms - if you drive on rough roads, they're unexpectedly expensive.

Definitely a troll post, but what's crazy is I kind of, sort of agree with him. When people ask me about my Model S, this is how I truly answer them...

"It is by a mile my favourite car I've ever owned, whilst being the worst car I've ever owned".

I know that seems like a total contradiction, but for me, it's not. I've driven virtually every car in the class and there is NO car that feels as exhilirating as my Model S (I just ordered a brand new Non-Plaid one - should get it in about 3 weeks). However, coming from owning several Lexus's, I can say objectively it has not (from a reliability perspective) been even close to my other cars. In this last year, I've been in for maintenance 8 times for a total of about $14,000.00. My car has 160,000 km.

My last Lexus (an IS350) had about 168,000 km when I got rid of it and I had never had a single service (other than for routine maintenance... oil, brakes, filters etc..). My experience is also that the Tesla Customer Service experience has gone downhill (severely) from when I first got the car. Back in 2017, the service was as good or better than Lexus. Now, I feel like service is on par with "Jed's junkyard" in Outback Missouri.

So, in a way, I get the OP's orginal post (even if it is a troll), but I am in this very strange place where I LOVE my car yet HATE the company. In any event, I also have a Porsche Taycan on order so I will have a chance to compare them both head to head and give my honest opinion on all matters.
What broke on the model S? $14K is a lot.

Still be interested to see the invoice - should be in your app. Curious how they got to that number.
I tried uploading it from my iPad but having no luck but I looked at the line items more carefully and there was another item during that repair I forgot but it was the “replacement of 3rd generation charger”, which was actually more expensive than the control arms. It was $3,726, so the control arms were under 3k.

I tried uploading it from my iPad but having no luck but I looked at the line items more carefully and there was another item during that repair I forgot but it was the “replacement of 3rd generation charger”, which was actually more expensive than the control arms. It was $3,726, so the control arms were under 3k.
Ok, now that makes a lot more sense. Between parts, a bit of hassle/time in the work and the Tesla rates not being super-low, I can see that number.

You can also damage control arms if you go up and down a curb the wrong way. I damaged my MS in an underground parking when I didn't see a lane divider before an internal entrance in a paid parking garage. Also caused a slow leak of coolant for battery which cause multiple warnings over the next 48 hours and ended with a tow to a SC in toronto - that was really expensive, but it's my own fault and I knew it was going to be expensive before it was fixed.

FWIW, after the fix, the MS drove like a new car as all control arms were replaced to drive consistently - the original ones were not as reliable.