Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla kills resale value with the way it operates.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
My opinion is the way tesla operates kills owners resale values across the board. They lower prices and redo options and update things willy nilly so if you buy and want to resell you are forced to lower your price cause a new buyer can likley get a better car at a lower price with newer upgrades forcing you to sell at 50% what you bought at even after 1-2 yrs.
So i guess the only way to look at it is jump in whenever and drive it till it dies and hope it doesnt have any issues when out of warranty.
If you bought new in 2016/2017/even 2018 before raven and mcu2 Enjoy what you have and keep it clean and in top shape. Cause if you go to try to sell it you will take a massive hit. I am glad we didnt get the p100d or even 100d when we bought as we would take even more of a bath trying to resell or even trade.

• Funny
Reactions: Shaggy and davewill
Welcome to the intersection of the automotive industry and emerging technology.

Price of emerging technology comes down over time. Tesla’s MISSION is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy, which necessarily involves improving affordability. Competitors are beginning to exert price pressure.

None of this was ever a secret.

Or just buy 1-2 yrs old at that 40-50% price depr and never look back lo.
Bingo. Better yet, get one for 70% off that's 3-4 years old and get a full factory warranty for a couple of years. If someone else wants to take a $100k loss on depreciation and then I swoop in and buy it for much, much MUCH less I'm all about letting them. I mean, if you're not free to make a terrible financial decision in the US of A then where are you free enough to do that? lol

Used ICE vs. Used EV. Almost a no brainer now, or might be very easy decision in 3 to 4 years for those new to the game.

Rocker arms. pistons. camshaft. Belts. I would prefer to think about as few things as possible when buying a used car. I think EV's might be the best thing for those that move into the used market. Similar depreciation as an ICE, but what a value.

Would prefer a used EV with 70% of existing range compared to an ICE with 100k on it with the multitude of things about to go wrong.

My assistant was helping her son buy a new car. I asked what was wrong with the old one. She said it had 106k on it, and the dealership was offering her son 1k for trade in. Really? A car with 106k is worth a grand. So sad. The list for fixing things was too long to justify the fix. Someone will fix it, yet like most a new car will be purchased with payments and a car that might make it to 150k. Rinse repeat till the light bulb goes on inside one's mind.

Driving a new car is almost a requirement for some. Which I don't understand. Yet I have bought all my cars new. Edit: 1 used. Forgot it had 12k on it when I bought it as a Tow Vehicle.

Tesla offered me 50k for my S100D with 80k in miles. I want to see what they offer at 100k. Should be fun. Never selling.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Welcome to the intersection of the automotive industry and emerging technology.

Price of emerging technology comes down over time. Tesla’s MISSION is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy, which necessarily involves improving affordability. Competitors are beginning to exert price pressure.

None of this was ever a secret.
wish it was the same with guitar modeling technology.lol. In that area the prices keep going up with new releases.

Used ICE vs. Used EV. Almost a no brainer now, or might be very easy decision in 3 to 4 years for those new to the game.

Rocker arms. pistons. camshaft. Belts. I would prefer to think about as few things as possible when buying a used car. I think EV's might be the best thing for those that move into the used market. Similar depreciation as an ICE, but what a value.

Would prefer a used EV with 70% of existing range compared to an ICE with 100k on it with the multitude of things about to go wrong.

My assistant was helping her son buy a new car. I asked what was wrong with the old one. She said it had 106k on it, and the dealership was offering her son 1k for trade in. Really? A car with 106k is worth a grand. So sad. The list for fixing things was too long to justify the fix. Someone will fix it, yet like most a new car will be purchased with payments and a car that might make it to 150k. Rinse repeat till the light bulb goes on inside one's mind.

Driving a new car is almost a requirement for some. Which I don't understand. Yet I have bought all my cars new. Edit: 1 used. Forgot it had 12k on it when I bought it as a Tow Vehicle.

Tesla offered me 50k for my S100D with 80k in miles. I want to see what they offer at 100k. Should be fun. Never selling.
well...dealerships are a ripoff in general with trade ins-EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. My 2006 mdx has 250k on it and still in great shape.

well...dealerships are a ripoff in general with trade ins-EVERYONE KNOWS THIS. My 2006 mdx has 250k on it and still in great shape.

I get that, but the masses don't. My Subaru was constantly begged to be turned in and buy a new one. I laughed on a regular basis from the nice salesperson call. Even laughed harder at the offer. A perfectly maintained good working car that now has over 200k on it. Someone else owns it. I know them. They love the car.

Maybe the list of things to do on an EV might make that purchase of a used car a little better, and a little less knowledge on how to maintain it would be great for the masses.

My opinion is the way tesla operates kills owners resale values across the board. They lower prices and redo options and update things willy nilly so if you buy and want to resell you are forced to lower your price cause a new buyer can likley get a better car at a lower price with newer upgrades forcing you to sell at 50% what you bought at even after 1-2 yrs.
So i guess the only way to look at it is jump in whenever and drive it till it dies and hope it doesnt have any issues when out of warranty.
If you bought new in 2016/2017/even 2018 before raven and mcu2 Enjoy what you have and keep it clean and in top shape. Cause if you go to try to sell it you will take a massive hit. I am glad we didnt get the p100d or even 100d when we bought as we would take even more of a bath trying to resell or even trade.

This very little to do with Tesla, and much much much (MUCH) more to do with cars in that price range. How much of a "bath" do you think buyers of mercedes / BMWs / Audis take if they try to sell their higher end 5 series / 7 series, E / S class for?

I just took a quick look at cars.com and a 2018 BMW 750 can be bought from a dealer for 67,995. A new one can go from 105-130 depending on options (check cars.com).

Large depreciation happens on almost every car in the luxury car space. This is not a "Tesla" issue, selling ANY car 1-2 years after buying it is ALWAYS ALWAYS a losing money proposition. Some cars lose less money than others, but almost all lose money, and the higher price the car is, the more it generally loses... until you get into specialty cars. BMWs, Mercedes, Audis (and Teslas) are mass market (nice) cars, and everyones advice is always buy "1-2 years old and let someone else take the depreciation hit" just like this thread, so anyone who is selling in that point will take a bath.

Dont buy a car in that range that you even THINK you might sell in that time. Either lease it, and give it back in 3 years (knowing that you will perpetually have a car payment) or buy it and keep it for 6+ years (or just plan on losing a lot of money when you sell, because if you like nice cars you will always take a bath buying ANY nice car and selling it in 1-2 or even 3 years.

This very little to do with Tesla, and much much much (MUCH) more to do with cars in that price range. How much of a "bath" do you think buyers of mercedes / BMWs / Audis take if they try to sell their higher end 5 series / 7 series, E / S class for?

I just took a quick look at cars.com and a 2018 BMW 750 can be bought from a dealer for 67,995. A new one can go from 105-130 depending on options (check cars.com).

Large depreciation happens on almost every car in the luxury car space. This is not a "Tesla" issue, selling ANY car 1-2 years after buying it is ALWAYS ALWAYS a losing money proposition. Some cars lose less money than others, but almost all lose money, and the higher price the car is, the more it generally loses... until you get into specialty cars. BMWs, Mercedes, Audis (and Teslas) are mass market (nice) cars, and everyones advice is always buy "1-2 years old and let someone else take the depreciation hit" just like this thread, so anyone who is selling in that point will take a bath.

Dont buy a car in that range that you even THINK you might sell in that time. Either lease it, and give it back in 3 years (knowing that you will perpetually have a car payment) or buy it and keep it for 6+ years (or just plan on losing a lot of money when you sell, because if you like nice cars you will always take a bath buying ANY nice car and selling it in 1-2 or even 3 years.

I don’t believe that this statement was what the OP was referring to at all. I don’t disagree with your post at large but it doesn’t have anything to do with the OP.

My first S85D (non-performance) was $20k more than my latest Raven Performance + Ludicrous and has features way beyond and more advanced. The exact same scenario is also true for my S100D purchase between those two cars. Point being it has nothing to do with your post being about high priced cars as much as Tesla lowering their prices and offering more cars hugely in get amzy 4 years. I’m not complaining...just clarifying where the OP’s thoughts were coming from.

Where the real rub comes in is taking Tesla’s pricing practices into account AND your post. Hit X 2 at a minimum

Last edited:
My first S85D (non-performance) was $20k more than my latest Raven Performance + Ludicrous and has features way beyond and more advanced.

Curious...given the cars are software updated, is the drive and tech that much more advanced from the 85D to Raven?

I can see suspension, new motors and AP3 over AP1. But for actual driving functionality...wouldn’t they be somewhat similar in feel?
Also 85D may have had the 80amp charging, alcatera dash and the sadly discontinued sunroof.

Would love your perspective on the actual functionality differences between both models day to day.

Thx!

Curious...given the cars are software updated, is the drive and tech that much more advanced from the 85D to Raven?

I can see suspension, new motors and AP3 over AP1. But for actual driving functionality...wouldn’t they be somewhat similar in feel?
Also 85D may have had the 80amp charging, alcatera dash and the sadly discontinued sunroof.

Would love your perspective on the actual functionality differences between both models day to day.

Thx!

There is more than night and day difference between my original S85D and my RavenRefresh. At 8,300 miles I have yet to even use the Ludicrous option so I am speaking only about the rest of the car. It is like driving a completely different car rather than a same model update. Just amazing

Reactions: DukeofURL
How often were you worried about your pistons? Or camshafts?

Lower control arm, center display, drive unit, battery, on board charger, door handles.

You see how silly that is? Every car has something to worry about.

How often were you worried about your pistons? Or camshafts?

Lower control arm, center display, drive unit, battery, on board charger, door handles.

You see how silly that is? Every car has something to worry about.
You're right, I see far more things going wrong on Tesla vehicles within the warranty period compared to every other vehicle I've owned, outside the warranty period we know the cost of replacement items for a Tesla is horrendous (far more than an ICE rebuild would cost).

Reactions: N..8 and SilverGS