Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lost it way when it ditched Mobile Eye and real leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the question is: Where was Tesla headed? I thought the mission statement described exactly where Tesla was and IS headed.

All these statements are your WANTS not the way to complete THE MISSION. Would what's typed in this thread help complete the mission faster? If you think it would help the mission, why are you talking/typing about it instead of doing something about it?

Rawlinson disagreed and decided to go to do what I believe is described in this thread.

So has Tesla lost the way or lost sight of THE MISSION?

Does sustainability have a direct or implied part to play in delivering 'The Mission' ? If not now, I believe it needs to do so.

Rawlinson has a great background and surely did a great job with the MS as far as coming up with a product that defined the brand.

Turning a profit is part of making a business sustainable but there is a bigger picture.

Tesla’s vision is to “create the most compelling car company of the 21st century by driving the world’s transition to electric vehicles,” while its mission is “to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass-market electric cars to market as soon as possible.”

Believe it or not, the sale of an EV for profit does "drive the world's transition to electric vehicles." You can have your cake and eat it too. Not every purchase needs to be motivated by a crunchy initiative, however. They'll take your green money either way. I didn't buy my cars because I cared about the planet. Not that I want to ruin it either, but that wasn't my motivation - it's just a "free" benefit.

The Model S/X should be high-margin, low-volume vehicles. These help Tesla fund their more mass-market products. They can't dumb the S/X down to be just a big Model 3/Y and expect it to attract many buyers. Spend money to make money (to make more cars/grow the business) and all that.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
Translation: Hers a set of reasons that appeal to you so we can make your money our money. In reality, we’re beholden to our shareholders to turn a profit above all else.

Tesla is certainly doing that. and a nice side effect is they have actually created and are strongly leading the EV revolution.

Reactions: beatle
Translation: Hers a set of reasons that appeal to you so we can make your money our money. In reality, we’re beholden to our shareholders to turn a profit above all else.
I would say it a little differently. The most successful companies return long-term value to shareholders above all else and treat THAT as their fiduciary duty.

Companies that recklessly chase quarterly profits above all else generally end up in a predictable place.

Long-term value requires sustainable thinking and resource management.

I've got a peeling yoke that says otherwise. Experienced premature wear in my three MS's that would have never occurred in a leather application. All brush wearing. Driver's side entrance pillar, yoke. All covered by warranty but way earlier than leather.
Synthetics can’t beat the real thing used by humans for tens of thousands of years. Do t believe me, checkout those pleather ikea couches.

Bingo. People incorrectly think that companies have any sort of obligation to anything other than profit. If you can get behind a cause you believe in while making a profit that's even better but the goal of companies is and always has been making a profit or they're not around. There's nothing wrong with that either. Where people get mixed up is thinking that they owe them something or care about them on an individual basis due to good marketing. Stop looking for moral values in brands and expecting them to "do the right thing" and you won't be let down. Expect them to turn a profit and determine if you want what they're selling. Remove the emotional connection from your "things" and life suddenly becomes much more simple and far more enjoyable.
I don’t care about Tesla making money, or their green credentials. When I purchased my S I believed it was the best sedan available EV or ICE, I can no longer say the same. Many brands have caught up on the tech side, and Tesla has only increased prices and removed features.

• Disagree
Reactions: lowtek
Synthetics can’t beat the real thing used by humans for tens of thousands of years. Do t believe me, checkout those pleather ikea couches.
Engine oil, kevlar, teflon, memory foam, cordura, gore-tex, and carbon fiber would like to have a word with you. So would your electric car.

That said, there are still some natural materials that synthetics haven't beaten outright in certain properties. Wool and down come to mind, but that doesn't mean their synthetic counterparts aren't worth considering in certain conditions - and not just for their price. It is best to keep an open mind as technology and textiles evolve and use the right material for the situation. Dying on a leather hill with no context doesn't seem to be all that worthwhile.

I have ultraleather in one of my vehicles and it holds up way better than leather ... it's synthetic ... only thing missing is the leather smell. Doesn't crack or show wear after many years. I guess not all synthetics are the same.
Leather belongs on furniture and clothes, if at all. Putting it in a car is just a dog whistle for, "Look at me. I'm rich!"