Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 Tripping Home Charger 40A Fuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I have a Sync EV 7Kw charger set as a dumb charger and use the car to schedule for Octopus Go. I have had an intermittent problem with the main fuse box 40A charger fuse tripping, and notice that every time it happens the Tesla App notifies me that the charging was interrupted and shows a charge rate of 48A, hence tripping the 40A fuse.

I have the App set to 32A and have reduced it to 30A (so far) and it is still happening.

The Sync EV App doesn’t give me enough information (or any at all) to see what is happening at the charger so I raised the issue with the installer and Sync EV, they haven’t really come up with an answer yet.

A neighbour with the same charger has a similar but different problem, not tripping the main fuse but locking up the charger itself, he is charging a Volvo Hybrid with his FYI. SyncEV have suggested that it is getting an overvoltage from the supplier. It has yet to be investigated further though.

Has anyone any advice or had a similar experience at all?

Many thanks

Maybe not that helpful, but a model 3 can only draw 32A from a single phase charger - you need three phase to get to 48A (I think sometimes when it doesn’t know what it’s plugged into it might show you that as the upper limit for what it could draw if plugged into something suitable).

It shouldn’t be possible for you to be tripping your 40A breaker from an overcurrent. Maybe an RCD related issue?

In-laws have a SyncEV charger and have had no end of problems with it, mostly not charging when their are minor voltage fluctuations, whereas every other brand of charger seems to cope fine.

Sorry that's not very constructive, but the reviews on SyncEV are generally terrible and their support is renowned as being useless.

Best of luck you can get it fixed.

There could be there a live to earth or neutral to earth fault that only presents itself once the cables have warmed from use.

Likewise there could be a poor connection in the breaker (be that an RCBO or MCB etc) it’s self causing it to heat up and trip.

The 48A on the screen of the car/app is probably a red herring, it can’t draw more than 32A on a single phase supply.

For tripping like this the first port of call should be to the installer to check all of the connections and to re-rest the cabling to make there there are no insulation issues which could cause faults.

Reactions: Jedisparky
On the off chance that it's the charger fuse tripping (and not the one in the house, as you said) it could be a lack of earthing. We've had this over the years with a Rolec charger (and whichever ones British Gas installed in 2013 when we got our Zoe) when the ground around the earthing rod of the charger gets too dry, and then the ground loses conductivity. The solution here is to water the ground. Doesn't sound like your issue, but with the hot weather I thought I'd throw it out there in case. Best of luck getting it fixed!

Last edited:
Hopefully it's still under warrantee. The installer needs to come out an test the entire system. If your not getting satisfaction, use phrases like "potential fire hazard". That will hopefully that will get their attention. And you won't be lying.
Guys, this is all old thread. It would of been nice to @Humbug to have updated the situation.

Hi All

I have a Sync EV 7Kw charger set as a dumb charger and use the car to schedule for Octopus Go. I have had an intermittent problem with the main fuse box 40A charger fuse tripping, and notice that every time it happens the Tesla App notifies me that the charging was interrupted and shows a charge rate of 48A, hence tripping the 40A fuse.
OK ... so what was the answer? You were posting on the forum in the hope of someone else answering your question ... perhaps you are now in a position to help others. A major useful function of forums is to share solutions to issues that arise.

Reactions: Js1977
Hi all,

I've a SYNC charger also and my tesla keeps on 'tripping' the fuse at our consumer unit. Now what is interesting is that when we plug in my wives non tesla EV it charges fine, evertime. My M3 trips out a couple times a day. All are recent installs by certified professionals.

Wife and I use the same cable, same SYNC charger. I suspect perhaps something wrong with my car although when I charge at work I have no issues whatsoever.

Very strange this one and any advice appreciated.

I've a SYNC charger also and my tesla keeps on 'tripping' the fuse at our consumer unit.

Definitely a fuse? ie over current protection, eg MCB? Other similar devices detect other fault conditions, eg RCD, RCBO. Depending on what trips will mean a different set of fault circumstances.

Probably best to get installer back though to look for a fault. Tesla's aren't known for causing charge point tripping issues unless there is a fault/installation issue/tolerance somewhere.

Reactions: Adopado
Hi all,

I've a SYNC charger also and my tesla keeps on 'tripping' the fuse at our consumer unit. Now what is interesting is that when we plug in my wives non tesla EV it charges fine, evertime. My M3 trips out a couple times a day. All are recent installs by certified professionals.

Wife and I use the same cable, same SYNC charger. I suspect perhaps something wrong with my car although when I charge at work I have no issues whatsoever.

Very strange this one and any advice appreciated.
Maybe your wife's car doesn't take the full 32A, I know we have a Leaf as a second car and it only take 30. Might be that is enough below to avoid the trip.