Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making CCS adapter for fast charging interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be grabbing one of these as soon as they're available, just to have the option of stopping at an EVgo CCS station at a Whole Foods to top up a bit if I need to while I'm out and about.
Don't you charge at home? I can see using this on a long road trip, but needing while running around town?

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be grabbing one of these as soon as they're available, just to have the option of stopping at an EVgo CCS station at a Whole Foods to top up a bit if I need to while I'm out and about.
With the number of Tesla chargers in the Chicago area why not use one of those (if you cannot charge at home)? Certainly as easy and for the number of times you might use either, less expensive (how much will a CCS adaptor cost)? In 4+ years and 138000+ miles I've never had occasion to use one. Home charging, supercharging, destination charging, and J1772 connections have gotten me all over the US (including Chicago, former hometown). Just wondering.

Can I also assume you have the PlugShare App? Shows tons of charging locations without having to rely on CCS.

Don't you charge at home? I can see using this on a long road trip, but needing while running around town?
I do charge at home but we have Tesla Superchargers located close to grocery stores in the area so it's convenient to plug in and charge while shopping. One of the grocery stores also has a EVGo charge station which I could use with an adapter.

Reactions: CleverUsername
I just don't understand why you would need to charge at Whole Foods unless you are 75 to 100 miles to get there. I am not trying to be a bad guy, I am just trying to understand the logic and need... On a Highway trip I average 246-266 Wh/mile and around town with the heat set to 72 degrees I am using about 390-410 Wh/mile and I tend to enjoy seeing how quickly my LR AWD Model Y will get to the speed limit plus 5 mph. So I can easily drive 150 miles around town without thinking about charging.

Reactions: RTPEV
I just don't understand why you would need to charge at Whole Foods unless you are 75 to 100 miles to get there. I am not trying to be a bad guy, I am just trying to understand the logic and need... On a Highway trip I average 246-266 Wh/mile and around town with the heat set to 72 degrees I am using about 390-410 Wh/mile and I tend to enjoy seeing how quickly my LR AWD Model Y will get to the speed limit plus 5 mph. So I can easily drive 150 miles around town without thinking about charging.
It's not a question of "need", it's about convenience. I charge a local grocery stores even when I don't "need" to. It's convenient, I get a nice parking spot and a bit of charge.

With the number of Tesla chargers in the Chicago area why not use one of those (if you cannot charge at home)? Certainly as easy and for the number of times you might use either, less expensive (how much will a CCS adaptor cost)? In 4+ years and 138000+ miles I've never had occasion to use one. Home charging, supercharging, destination charging, and J1772 connections have gotten me all over the US (including Chicago, former hometown). Just wondering.

Can I also assume you have the PlugShare App? Shows tons of charging locations without having to rely on CCS.

I agree full heartedly. I live in Central Ohio and drove my Model Y to Atlanta, Ga, 610 miles each way. I drove 70-75 mph with the heat set at 72 F, the outdoor temperature was between 32 - 39 F. Never charging above 90%, I made 2 stops arriving at each location with more than a 17% SOC (Lexington, KY - Knoxville, TN).

One thing that I have noticed is that I can keep the heat set a lot lower than my other cars and still be very comfortable...

I have a wall connector at home, and live 3 blocks from a Supercharger station. But here's a crazy thought: what if I'm away from home? What if I'm 100+ miles from home, need to use the bathroom, want to buy a snack and a drink, and see a Whole Foods up ahead? Why is it so controversial that I might decide to stop there and plug into a 50kW EVgo charger to charge up a bit while I'm doing those other things?

I'm well aware of the various charging options and apps that are available to me, but sometimes I'm willing to pay a few bucks for convenience, and to not have to go out of my way if it'll save me some time. And I don't believe spending $100ish (I'm guessing, based on the fact that the J1772 adapter costs $95 and the CCS adapter looks quite similar) on an adapter should be all that scandalous, especially in a community where people regularly spend many thousands on wheels, tints, and PPF.

I have a wall connector at home, and live 3 blocks from a Supercharger station. But here's a crazy thought: what if I'm away from home? What if I'm 100+ miles from home, need to use the bathroom, want to buy a snack and a drink, and see a Whole Foods up ahead? Why is it so controversial that I might decide to stop there and plug into a 50kW EVgo charger to charge up a bit while I'm doing those other things?

I'm well aware of the various charging options and apps that are available to me, but sometimes I'm willing to pay a few bucks for convenience, and to not have to go out of my way if it'll save me some time. And I don't believe spending $100ish (I'm guessing, based on the fact that the J1772 adapter costs $95 and the CCS adapter looks quite similar) on an adapter should be all that scandalous, especially in a community where people regularly spend many thousands on wheels, tints, and PPF.

Maybe he just wants to have one? Sort of like buying the half dozen electrical outlet connectors available for our chargers, few (if any) which ever get used.

Rich

One possible advantage of this connector is that you can charge at 350kW Electrify America chargers if no V3 Tesla stations are available.

Rich

While you would be able to charge there, you wouldn't get anywhere near 350kW, the adapter will likely be limited to ~142kW, just like the EU CCS adapter is.

I'm going to guess that because there is additional circuitry inside the adapter similar to
CHAdeMO for DCFC, it might cost closer to the $500 price tag of the previous DCFC adapter. Of course, if it's not like a rocket launcher sized adapter, the price might be a bit less.

I think you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want. CCS in Europe is around 500 Euros. So, if it's important to you to have a snack, a drink, and gain 10 miles of range I say go for it. Count me out 'cause after 139000 miles I have yet to use anything but a J1772 adaptor and I have been off the beaten path. But you are new to the car and maybe it will give you peace of mind.

However, I have taken the liberty of planning a trip for you (based on a MS).

Leave Northbrook Supercharger,
Drive to Lou Malnatis, Elk Grove and have lunch
Drive to Two Brothers Brewhouse in Aurora and have a quick brew/soda (Destination Charger)
Drive to the Wildwood Tavern in Niles for dessert (Destination Charger)
Return to Northbrook Supercharger.

Leave with a 90% SoC and return with somewhere north of 52%. No CCS required. Money saved: enough to payoff the whole trip's food and drink budget and have change in your pocket; Lots!
Trip is 115 miles around the Chicago area. ;) (Thanks to ABetterRoutePlanner).

Last edited:
I think you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want. CCS in Europe is around 500 Euros. So, if it's important to you to have a snack, a drink, and gain 10 miles of range I say go for it. Count me out 'cause after 139000 miles I have yet to use anything but a J1772 adaptor and I have been off the beaten path. But you are new to the car and maybe it will give you peace of mind.

However, I have taken the liberty of planning a trip for you (based on a MS).

Leave Northbrook Supercharger,
Drive to Lou Malnatis, Elk Grove and have lunch
Drive to Two Brothers Brewhouse in Aurora and have a quick brew/soda (Destination Charger)
Drive to the Wildwood Tavern in Niles for dessert (Destination Charger)
Return to Northbrook Supercharger.

Leave with a 90% SoC and return with somewhere north of 52%. No CCS required. Money saved: enough to payoff the whole trip's food and drink budget and have change in your pocket; Lots!
Trip is 115 miles around the Chicago area. ;) (Thanks to ABetterRoutePlanner).
Don’t get me wrong, if the adapter costs more than $100ish, count me out as well. And even if it does cost $95 like the J1772 adapter, there’s a high likelihood that I wouldn’t use it very much, but I think it’d be nice to have in the glove box if I’m in an unknown area nowhere near home, pressed for time, and/or not in the mood to go out of my way to get to a supercharger.

Also, I strongly approve of your sample route because it involves beer and the best Chicago-style pizza :D

Reactions: DrGriz and Ciaopec
Also, I strongly approve of your sample route because it involves beer and the best Chicago-style pizza :D

I know, right? I still have two Lou's in the freezer from the last trip north! (Elk Grove was on the way to/from work for years). Throw in a stop at Goose Island and Binny's near North and Clybourne. I don't think there is a better selection of alcohol in the Chicago area. If nothing else your jaw may drop at the displays of Champagne plus there is a little known bar in the very back. Cheers