Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Master Plan Part 2 & 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not so sure the shared vehicle concept is all that workable. Most people have similar working hours, so demand would be high during drive times, and supply would be high during the work day and overnight.

While this is a correct observation in itself, your missing the fact that some of the cars will do other things in the lower demand periods of the day and night: go wash themselves outside and inside (by robots?), go charge, go for maintenance and inspection by humans, some will go park some part away from the population dense parts of a city and stay avaible should increasing activity happen for some reason (concert, sporting event, Valentine's day etc. etc.) and possibly if this still gives you a lot of idle cars they can do other useful economic activities: deliver mail, carry smaller pakkets and the kicker is: they can act as grid balancers with V2G.

Once again, Paxson AK shows itself to be not only the Center Of The Universe*, but at the forefront of Things To Come. To wit:

As independently-minded, up-by-own-bootstraps only as we are around here, we also are the champions of shared goods. Especially out here, the utilization quotient of big ticket items like our pickup trucks, very large (30,000 lb) trailers, heavy equipment (excavator, front-end loader, boom crane, fork lift, skidsteer, box van, Pisten Bully...) is supremely low - many of these will go for well over one month without being used by their titular owner - and so real sharing of such goods is extremely commonplace - and we thus all are the richer for that.

If crusty old sourdoughs can do it, so can you cupcakes. Cowboy up!

*Proof:
Every place in existence is equally remote from here. Q.E.D.

• Funny
Reactions: Pdub2015
You don't consider "wow" disrupting at least 2 major industries (oil and electricity) and being on the front to change the way we live?

The first time yes, namely with Master Plan part One, but the second time, it is just pursuing and surfing the same wave, and bringing the whole experience multiples steps forward. That's why I fell like there a new "wow! factor missing out from master plan part deux, and imho, a tesla city would have been it. Because it is where we live, the way we live that would have been directly impacted. And not just for selected people able to buy the experience, but for everyone who would have been living in this city.

p......,
I need to get on board with your next business venture as you definitely have very high standards. I'm sure any involvement would pay of handsomely if you executed to those standards.

All kidding aside, I have enjoyed getting my "MBA" listening to Tesla's quarterly earnings call and otherwise watching the story unfold. As with most start ups, Tesla (and SpaceX for that matter) is throwing a bunch of spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks. Their plans are evolving along the way. Fun watch.

Forgive this rather long post, but this plan is wrought with risk.

The beauty of the Model S is that it was not a new style of automobile. It is a beautiful sedan that could pass for a Maserati, but happens to be electric. Any pickup truck that doesn’t look like an F150 (think futuristic El Camino) is a new product. Convincing the public to buy a new product is always risky. Pickup trucks are utilitarian and can’t be priced so high that you wouldn’t want to bang it up some. I’m concerned about long-term demand for this type of vehicle.

Regarding Semi’s, that’s literally the last type of vehicle transportation that will be electric. Long haul, steady-state, high-horsepower loads are ideal for a diesel engine. They are generally driven by people that don’t give a rat’s ass about how it’s powered, as long as it’s quick to fill up and profitable. My hope is that Tesla doesn’t spend millions to produce a Semi (not to mention the charging infrastructure to support it) before practically all other projects.

Finally, I believe autonomous transport (i.e. a Tesla bus) is much further off than most. When we have a blend of autonomous and manual drivers on the road, it’s going to be awkward for the autonomous cars. Think about how much your personality determines how you drive….the way you nudge your nose into stopped traffic, with a friendly wave, in order to make that left turn. Does anyone seriously think that the majority of people will ‘let in’ an autonomous car into traffic? Take a trip down to Lima, Peru and tell me how well an autonomous vehicle would do in that kind of traffic. There are thousands of situations that if you aren’t a little assertive, you’re stuck for a long time. So who wants to sit in a new product that sucks at driving? Or rather, who wants assertive autonomous vehicles cutting you off in traffic?

Having used autopilot for over 25 years in aircraft, I can tell you that pilots use autopilot for over 90% of the flight. But practically all pilots will tell you that there are situations when it’s just easier to hand-fly the plane; and driving is far, far more situationally challenging than flying.

Thanks to anyone still reading.
#41Yesterday at 2:38 PM
My question: are we considering UQM Tech's, American made EV drive, for the pickup truck ?
A fluid cooled D.C. motor with a 2-speed transmission made by Eaton industries, balanced with Pi-Innovo control. I love the results, and American made !
Tesla is the gift in the present, presently Tesla is the latest and greatest !
UQM is in Colorado, yet has a diverse history, converting to EV
Vehicles of all types.
I'm interested in an EV truck to carry a tool box style bed.
+ QUOTE REPLY

More than 2 years since part deux. One minor change:
Elon is now expected to go ahead with a smaller cheaper vehicle.

2 years until part 3?
Buy Boring company?
RV?
Robo taxi with no steering wheel - multiple sizes?
Drive through Daiquiri bars?

A few more details on the master plan from Elon.

Now Musk took to Twitter this morning to announce that the main subject is going to be scaling Tesla to “extreme size”:
Main Tesla subjects will be scaling to extreme size, which is needed to shift humanity away from fossil fuels, and AI.
The fact that Musk is aiming for Tesla to achieve an “extreme size” is not exactly new considering Tesla has made public its goal to achieve an annual production capacity of about 20 million vehicles by 2030. In comparison, the world’s biggest automotive groups, like Volkswagen and Toyota, produce about 10 million cars per year. But Musk’s new plan is likely going to go into more details about how to scale manufacturing and supply chain to these levels, especially amid extremely difficult global supply issues. Interestingly, Musk also added that the “Master Plan Part 3” will include sections about SpaceX and The Boring Company along with Tesla:
But I will also Include sections about SpaceX, Tesla and The Boring Company.

Reactions: Buckminster
TLDR: Elon Musk reveals what Tesla's Master Plan Part 3 is about

"Master Plan Part 3 is all about achieving very large scale. In order to shift the entire energy infrastructure and transport infrastructure of earth, there has to be a very high scale. We have to ask what is the actual tonnage? If we work backward from let’s say about 300 TWh of installed capacity in vehicles and stationary (battery packs) then how do you achieve that tonnage from a mining and refining standpoint, but also do so in a sustainable way.

Musk then summarized: That’s what Master Plan Part 3 is: How do you get to enough scale to actually shift the entire energy infrastructure of earth?