Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Master Plan Part 2 & 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about: Wireless transmission of electricity to satellites for distribution to other sites, at nite or without electricity. Generate electricity from solar on commercial and residential buildings. Tranfer to spacex placed satellites... Just sayin, that an energy company that can distribute power without the grid....

• Disagree
Reactions: forumman83
#1: Tesla needs to flesh out the product lineup - assuming the intent is to become a non-niche builder. If you look at BMW / Mercedes as models, you would need the 2 series to 7 series, a couple of SUVs, plus at least one halo "sports car".

#2 They need to come out with an upgraded supercharger - 800 V, 300 kw. And they need for the batteries to be able to take that sort of charge rate, so that you can get 200 miles in 15 minutes.. And they need to be able to adapt to the SAE charging standard, even if the SAE standard is sh!t.

How about: Wireless transmission of electricity to satellites for distribution to other sites, at nite or without electricity. Generate electricity from solar on commercial and residential buildings. Transfer to spacex placed satellites... Just sayin, that an energy company that can distribute power without the grid....

Uhhh... okay. So, on the eve that the system is deployed, Elon can have his henchmen rapidly re-target the satellites to simultaneously threaten the White house and Kremlin, while he pets his cat, demanding "ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!!". In the meantime he can launch from his volcano lair to his new space station, cleverly constructed in lunar orbit.

I case you may or may not know, Elon is working on unveiling something this week...

and the hint we have is this tweet: Elon Musk on Twitter

Any ideas on what this might be? Or when exactly he is planning on telling us?

I don't know if they're planning to unveil actual product plans this week or if it's more ambiguous mission statement stuff. Although the first plan was pretty product oriented so my guess is they will talk more about building factories as the new product. Factories that build batteries and solar panels and cars, many of them. I'm guessing that might include a partnership deal or tidbits about a new factory in China.
And this is just a super random WAG, but they were talking about using solar panels to actually raise the value of people's houses. So maybe at some point instead of mounting them on your existing roof, they'll just start using panels as your roof. Maybe instead of shingles or whatever they'll just slap some panels on the trusses and call it good? And batteries will be included of course as a full circle system, so panels, batteries, and cars= no more emissions, no more utilities, and lower energy and transportation costs. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Looking back to Master Plan #1, EV existed, the most important part of the plan was to figure out how to make EV a product for the masses, and how to build a supporting infrastructure. If it's anything like Master Plan #1, it should fit the following:

1) the technology exists, in the form of novelty products.
2) mass production does not exist, no one is interested to build it
3) supporting infrastructure does not exist, no one is interested to build it
4) the plan should be achievable in not too long of time period (1 decade?)

My guess is that a simple integration of Tesla battery and SolarCity panel would be too obvious, maybe just step 1 of a Master Plan. Adding in some form of the power grid overhaul, maybe from AC-based to DC-based, or completely going micro-grid, maybe that's a possible whole Master Plan.

But knowing Elon, who went from Paypal to SpaceX, SolarCity, Tesla, I won't be surprised if he jumps to another industry this time. What else has he talked about recently? AI? "machines that make the machines"? building new factories? VR?

Whatever it is, it will tie Solar City into the overall plan - so that investors start to see why it all makes sense. I'm sure he believes that if people understand the vision and the possibilities, the likelihood of bringing Solar City into the fold increases. (And I agree with that reasoning.) Elon sees connections between things & how those connections can benefit all. It's one of his many strengths.

Just my opinion, of course. I have no crystal ball and he didn't call me to tell me what he was planning on doing. :)

Reactions: Hodginator
My humble opinion is that "Master Plan Part 2" makes Elon look bad, and I feel sorry for him. It looks like a defensive move - the press has piled on him (unfairly IMHO), three government agencies/boards are investigating Tesla, Mr. Brown's family hired a law firm which has made a public announcement, the business press has picked apart the Solar City merger and Tesla's corporate governance, etc.

Elon sends out some viscerally angry tweets last week, he reportedly sleeps in the factory - and now the response is "Hold up folks, I'm working on a grand future plan." It's like "Wait, wait, please stop hitting me - I'm going to give you greatness, I promise. Please stop the punches."

His tweet, seen in the context of the events of the last several weeks, reads to me like a man who feels a wave of pressure and is begging for some breathing room so people will let up for a minute.

His existing plan is already ambitious enough and I believe in it. Sometimes I feel like he has accomplished such insane things already - rockets landing upright on barges, the only really good self steering system in the world, etc. - that people now expect such perfection from him and from Tesla that there is nowhere to go but down in the public eye.

His new "Part 2" master plan is coming almost 10 years to the day of Part 1. I don't think Elon is posting it this week in response to recent events. I think he is going to point out that all the Part 1 objectives are very close to being accomplished and it is time to look ahead to the next 10 years, and lay out his new objectives. Yes, SolarCity will likely be part of those new objectives.

His existing plan is almost completed. he's building the more affordable car from his roadster and SM proceeds. He's laying out the next 10 years.

Presumably where he sees battery tech and charging going. How their recent acquisition ties into that. Possibly his next vehicle -- a desirable electric car under 25K?

The number of electric cars on the road is going up exponentially over the next 3 years. There will have to be more and better ways to charge, especially in cities.

His existing plan is already ambitious enough.

Whatever it is, it will tie Solar City into the overall plan - so that investors start to see why it all makes sense. I'm sure he believes that if people understand the vision and the possibilities, the likelihood of bringing Solar City into the fold increases. (And I agree with that reasoning.) Elon sees connections between things & how those connections can benefit all. It's one of his many strengths.

Just my opinion, of course. I have no crystal ball and he didn't call me to tell me what he was planning on doing. :)

I suppose it likely will just because of the timing. Yes it would be easy enough to carry it all under the "reduce carbon" banner. But other than being a ":green" technology, and perhaps some branding synergies there's very little common ground between the car business and the solar power business. Schizophrenia generally doesn't serve businesses well.

I wish he'd concentrate on fixing the stuff that is clearly not working or yet to be delivered. Rather than announce something new!

Like where is Powerwall?

We need more service centers so that there aren't huge gaps of hundreds of miles between them ... and people who require body work don't have to wait months for parts.

(And I am not one.)

I used to be one of his biggest fans but as of late the Tesla allure has lost of LOT of steam. Balloon barely at tree tops.

Even sold all my shares.

My prediction;

1. Create a compelling residential/commercial solar-based electricity generation and storage solution that stimulates a transition away from fossil-fuels.

2. Expand the available product line of sustainable electric vehicles in order to appeal to a broader audience (pick up trucks, commercial transport, etc) and stimulate widespread adoption of EVs.

3. [This is the big one that only a master visionary like Elon can come up with so I will leave it blank]

Looking forward to whatever he comes up with!

TESLA SECRET MASTER PLAN 2 (Same as Plan 1, sssshhhh)

1. Build rocket ship to return Elon (pronounced Alien) back to his home world, using sub-standard Earth technology after crash landing on Earth in the 20th century.

2. Build rocket ship to return Elon (pronounced Alien) back to his home world, using sub-standard Earth technology after crash landing on Earth in the 20th century.

3. Build rocket ship to return Elon (pronounced Alien) back to his home world, using sub-standard Earth technology after crash landing on Earth in the 20th century.

4. Use Model 3 deposits to accelerate plan.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
My prediction;

1. Create a compelling residential/commercial solar-based electricity generation and storage solution that stimulates a transition away from fossil-fuels.

2. Expand the available product line of sustainable electric vehicles in order to appeal to a broader audience (pick up trucks, commercial transport, etc) and stimulate widespread adoption of EVs.

3. [This is the big one that only a master visionary like Elon can come up with so I will leave it blank]

Looking forward to whatever he comes up with!

I think @3s-a-charm is on the right track. Here is my attempt at adding a few more details:

Goal: Accelerate the global transition to renewable production and consumption of energy.

Strategy: Produce an integrated end-to-end renewable energy system (solar production, battery storage, and battery-electric transportation) that is affordable, compelling (desirable) and convenient (just works).

Step 1: Create an initial end-to-end system with wide appeal and affordability: Model 3 + solar panels + PowerWall + inverter + installation, software support, and maintenance + financing, all easily purchased on an integrated website. A larger-scale version of the generation and storage system will be provided in parallel for applications ranging from individual businesses to microgrids to utilities. A high fraction of sales will still be of individual components of the system.

Step 2: Use the revenue, technological expertise, and data gained from step 1 to create a more affordable, more compelling energy system, involving a wider range of choices, produced at larger scale, to reach an order of magnitude more consumers. This includes a broader range of cars (more affordable CUV, truck, new sports car), a broader array of charging options (including street and parking lot charging), and a more streamlined array of generation choices (i.e. consumers without a home can purchase Tesla renewable energy from utility along with car purchase).

Step 3: Use revenue, technological expertise, and data from step 2 to create a suite of solutions that is sufficiently affordable, diverse, and compelling to replace the majority of current non-sustainable energy production consumption across many countries. This includes choice of solar energy as a service or panels as a product, storage as a service or product, and electric transportation as a service or product. There will be a high degree of software control of all three portions, including their integration.

In each step, Tesla will scale up production of the components as rapidly as possible, in part through innovations in factory layout and efficiency and in part through setting unrealistically optimistic deadlines ;-) Tesla will also continue to provide an example for other manufacturers, encouraging them to increase the number and diversity of similar products and systems, further increasing the pace of the renewable energy transition.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Given that Masterplan 1 was:
Expensive / low-volume sports car
Medium price (cough) medium-volume sedan
Low price / high-volume car

#2 take us to where electric cars are the majority by 2030. Where solar generation is the dominant electricity source, and thanks to Powerwall - can be independent of the grid.

If Tesla said they could intergrate solarcells into the car then Wall Street would quit complaining about the SC tie-up. If it could generate 1.5kw/h that'd be significant. Elon's previously stated the solarcells should be on the house but as Toyota are doing a 2016 Prius with the solarcells now powering the plugin battery (not just the 12v) then maybe he'll change his mind... but his first-principle analysis will probably still tell him they should be on the house only!
Imagine if you parked the car outside in the sun all day and you had 10kw/h (30 miles more range than when you parked it). The latest SunPower cells can do 400watts (1x2m) so 1.5kwh/h across the body of a car is not inconceivable. Or maybe 600watts across the roof - 4-6kw/h in 10 hours (12-18 miles range in a day)... I think that's significant.
Of course having a big glass roof and enormous glass windscreen goes against having a solar roof!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler