Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Milk Float when reversing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I drive forward my Tesla's motors are inaudible, but when I reverse it sounds like a 1970's electric milk float. I'm assuming mine isn't unique. Does anyone know why? Is it mechanical or a synthetic sound as a warning to pedestrians, etc?
I thought I read you could change that sound in the Boombox settings (it's not a feature of older cars so I've no direct experience.)

The Pedestrian Warning System (if equipped) causes Model 3 to emit sound when driving below approximately 33 km/h (21 mph) or while driving in reverse. Electric vehicles operate quietly and this sound helps to alert pedestrians of your oncoming vehicle. The sound, which activates whenever Model 3 is shifted out of Park, gets louder as speed increases.

Reactions: Skavatar and Js1977
Just curious...

Has anyone ever run across a report of a silent EV hitting a pedestrian in one of these fabled sub-21 mph scenarios?

The first modification I made to my John Deere tractor was to disconnect that annoying backup beeper. The second modification was to bypass the weight sensor in the seat that prevented the tractor from being used with no weight on the seat. Sometimes you just have to stand up to see where you're going and what the bucket is doing.

Reactions: Obie and MitchMitch
I've looked on my 3 month old MY and can't see any option to change the sound. It would be nice to change to something like a reverse beep than the currect UFO.
Oh please don’t! The UFO type (white noise) sound is proven to only be annoying for short distances…. The beep sound travels for a large distance and annoys people way beyond the danger range!

I know this having been near to a distribution centre with fork lifts that have reverse beeping for “safety” - I was not worried when 200m away in an office - but is was still loud and annoying as the sound travelled and penetrated windows.

is it supposed to make the noise going forwards too? Its really obvious in my 3 when I’m reversiging - sounds a bit like the jetsons. But can’t hear anything going forwards. Couple of times I’ve been driving slowly behind pedestrians entirely oblivious to me. Last year in St ives on the sea front so its probably a little noisy around, but also last night on the southbank coming out of a car park. road wasn’t super smooth either.

I don’t really get it - lots of modern petrol cars are really quiet at low speeds if you’re not revving them, shouldn’t they also have noise makers?

is it supposed to make the noise going forwards too? Its really obvious in my 3 when I’m reversiging - sounds a bit like the jetsons. But can’t hear anything going forwards. Couple of times I’ve been driving slowly behind pedestrians entirely oblivious to me.

I think it does but it’s a different sound and not as noticeable.

I live near a few schools and am often out and about at school drop off/pickup times. As Teslas are pretty common, I get to see/hear a few slowly moving around.

I would say reverse is very well balanced for tone and volume.

When a Model Y passed me moving forward (taking 20 yards of kerb crawling to join end of line) slowly, I could certainly hear something (ie it broke the ‘silence’) but it was very subtle and a very different sound to that in reverse. Imho it needs to be more obvious/louder. I doubt if you were following someone in a car park it would draw their attention to a car behind them. Some other EVs do a much better job at this.

is it supposed to make the noise going forwards too? Its really obvious in my 3 when I’m reversiging - sounds a bit like the jetsons. But can’t hear anything going forwards. Couple of times I’ve been driving slowly behind pedestrians entirely oblivious to me. Last year in St ives on the sea front so its probably a little noisy around, but also last night on the southbank coming out of a car park. road wasn’t super smooth either.

I don’t really get it - lots of modern petrol cars are really quiet at low speeds if you’re not revving them, shouldn’t they also have noise makers?
We've done this before. When stationary and about to move a petrol car is perfectly noticeable to someone with vision disabilities, however quiet. An EV is just silent so it needs to make a quiet noise. The RNIB led the request for this tiny accommodation to be made so that people don't feel that our technology is likely to put them a greater risk, and yes they didn't wait to collect empirical evidence of the numbers of injuries as none is the acceptable number, because it's really not any significant cost or inconvenience for EVs.