Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Autocar has run a main "Teaser Feature" on the Model 2 I suppose that some sort of discussion will start.
Golf sized, Golf Price, up to 260 miles range? All probable.
This moves Tesla into the "Mr Average" market.

Comments?

"Mods, Couldn't find another post on this, feel free to move!"

Reactions: MrBadger
Well didn’t harm VAG group with the Audi A3! So I guess Tesla will do it and maybe 300+ miles of range with their new 4680 tabless batteries in the structure.
Autocar must have slow news day if they are putting teaser articles like this - interesting development and discussion anyway :)

Reactions: Peter 224
The article claims £20k and 250+ mile range.
All down to the tabless battery, which allows a 50% reduction in total manufacturing cost as the batteries can form part of the structural "chassis", also 5x more energy density, faster charging and 16% more range per charge, partly because the car is lighter. The article also claims there will be a Dual motor Long Range version with range of 250 miles.

Over the years I've learned to be wary of Autocar "News", but even if it is £25k I can see many people taking a big interest.

Well if most of us have Tesla’s here (am assuming so) Tesla’s are the millienials and maybe gen Z brand of choice. You can do a little research yourself and the younger generations don’t have as much brand affinity to traditional car brands so if Tesla can sell at the right price, spec and quality stand point it will fly off shelves and maybe a mini SUV or even mini roadster/coupe (can you imagine!?). Just like the mobile phone revolution we’ve been through over 10+ Years ago and that’s what I think the car industry is going through.

Well if most of us have Tesla’s here (am assuming so) Tesla’s are the millienials and maybe gen Z brand of choice. You can do a little research yourself and the younger generations don’t have as much brand affinity to traditional car brands so if Tesla can sell at the right price, spec and quality stand point it will fly off shelves and maybe a mini SUV or even mini roadster/coupe (can you imagine!?). Just like the mobile phone revolution we’ve been through over 10+ Years ago and that’s what I think the car industry is going through.

Younger generations have never tended to have brand loyalty, it is (or was) well known amongst manufacturers that loyalty tends to start around late 20s or early 30s when people tend to start switching up from whatever they learned to drive in or could afford into something that was becoming more of a luxury.

It's the phenomenon that lead Mercedes to introduce the 190 in the 1980s as a "cheap" feed-in vehicle to the marque - because BMW were going up market and people were sticking with the brand they already had and going with them at the point they might previously switched to Mercedes.

Back in those days manufacturers used to be more or less divided along segment/price lines, those lines are much more blurred now but people do often become loyal around the same age anyway so the goal is to get them locked in at the right age.

• Informative
Reactions: yfwt and Jez_GB
Been waiting ages for the MY, so can't see anything coming here for 2/3 years, and I'd doubt it would be much under the 28K mark.
my thoughts exactly. so far every Tesla model seems to arrive in the UK about 2 years after launch. pattern seems to be
launch in US
expand to other LHD markets
When capacity allows re-tool for RHD
ship to UK

Germany might change that but I figure they will be selling every MY they can make for the next couple of years. Not even expecting the MY until late 2022. Do they have capacity for a second line for the M2 in Germany? and would it be their first choice anyway above the M3.
There would be huge demand though

Reactions: yfwt
my thoughts exactly. so far every Tesla model seems to arrive in the UK about 2 years after launch. pattern seems to be
launch in US
expand to other LHD markets
When capacity allows re-tool for RHD
ship to UK

Germany might change that but I figure they will be selling every MY they can make for the next couple of years. Not even expecting the MY until late 2022. Do they have capacity for a second line for the M2 in Germany? and would it be their first choice anyway above the M3.
There would be huge demand though
Dont know why Tesla are making anything but Model Ys. The pent up demand everywhere is allowing them to exploit pricing. If they don't hurry up Gridserve will do the job in the UK and we will all be driving non Tesla EVs. There is a growing list of EVs which are just as good if not better than Teslas .. iD4, Audi Q4, Polestar 2 - with a myriad of great Chinese models on their way.

Dont know why Tesla are making anything but Model Ys. The pent up demand everywhere is allowing them to exploit pricing. If they don't hurry up Gridserve will do the job in the UK and we will all be driving non Tesla EVs. There is a growing list of EVs which are just as good if not better than Teslas .. iD4, Audi Q4, Polestar 2 - with a myriad of great Chinese models on their way.
They seem to be selling every Model 3 they can make, so why change? Doesn't make commercial sense to offer other variants until they can saturate demand for Model 3, so until more manufacturing capacity at Berlin comes on line it doesn't seem sensible to ship Model Y from China.

I think its hard to argue that any other EVs are "as good" as Tesla. Some are better in a number of ways. build quality. some features etc. Windscreen wipers thht work but there is nothing else that has the efficiency of a Tesla at anything close to the size and performance. not to mention the unique interior etc. So its hard to compare since they are so different to all other cars. Tesla still a lot of USP's but gives away a similar number to the competition. The SuC is arguable the best USP more than ever and I still think we are a few years away from road tripping in anything else approaching the convenience of a Tesla.
Its definitely a different world to 2019 though when I got mine where the M3 was pretty much the only game in town short of waiting a year for an E-Niro.

Quite simple... Model Y is too fat to fit through the gate / garage door for me, so I would have to stick to my M3P for the million miles test ;)

Reactions: Adopado
Quite simple... Model Y is too fat to fit through the gate / garage door for me, so I would have to stick to my M3P for the million miles test ;)
This. I just don’t want an SUV. Even the ones that aren’t stupidly inefficient (like the Y) are still too big and antisocial and by definition don’t drive as well as lower cars.

I want everything that Tesla brings in the smallest package possible that will accommodate four/five people. Golf size is the sweet spot for passenger cars in my opinion, but sadly no-one yet builds anything that size which can hold a light to the model 3 in any other respect.

We've not seen anything official from Tesla and given they typically promote cars about 2 years before even getting close to production and then 2 years to come to the UK I doubt its here any time soon. I think it will also only appear when they have excess production capacity as a means of using that up. They don't make the SR model on the Model 3 (they say its off menu but in reaility they don;t make them) so why introduce a whole new class of car at the moment?

Reactions: Adopado