Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 awd lr only getting 286 miles of range at 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla model 3 awd lr only getting 286 miles of range at 100% charge. The car has only 12,000 miles and is 1 year old. Not sure why this much depreciation took place maybe due to cold season here in CT. Is anyone else going through this same situation. Please let me know. Really concerned. Love the car a lot!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Maaz
Tesla model 3 awd lr only getting 286 miles of range at 100% charge. The car has only 12,000 miles and is 1 year old. Not sure why this much depreciation took place maybe due to cold season here in CT. Is anyone else going through this same situation. Please let me know. Really concerned. Love the car a lot!!!

I'm pretty sure it is a cold season. Range goes down. Mine had 307 at 100% (App showed) and only few month old. AWD Model 3 LR

My 2019 M3 charged to full range for 4 months. Even then, it would chew through the range at about 110% of the miles you were actually driving, even in chill mode, even when taking it easy. Then it started getting cold, and it will charge to about 95%, but then still chew through the range faster than the miles.

I would think it would be one or the other: either charge to show full range and chew through it faster, or charge to show reduced range, then chew through it predictably. I can only do so much math in my head.

Numbers are changing all over the place with software releases. Did you actually charge to 100% or is it an extrapolated number? These are VERY different.

No reason to be concerned. This is well within normal. Remember that you should expect degradation, most occurring early in the battery's life. The warranty is for 70% (217 rated miles, ~53kWh). Temperature is a factor as well, so you will see some recovery when you have a warm battery (but it's probably not the primary reason for your range loss).

Here are some distributions showing normal behavior.

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

You're at about 70kWh available energy, vs. the ~76-77kWh available energy when new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abdullahf123
That’s interesting and weird. I’m having the same exact issue. I picked up my DM-M3 in august with 3 miles on it. Within three weeks I notice the first full charge was only 286 miles. When I called Tesla they gave me some BS about the car calculating base on usage. My response to them was to put that on the website next to where it said 310 miles range. By the way, I’m also in CT but I ruled out weather because my range change was on September when it was still warm. This can not be normal

I could be wrong but isn’t the charge mileage a fixed number which can then be affect by driving style and or weather and other environmental factors. I could also be naive but if you market a car for a specific amount of miles, shouldn’t that be the base mileage? Kinda like the Hyundai Kona which is rated 258 miles but is well known to average mileage in the 300+ range in normal driving mode. Seems like real advertises high mileage and exposes most of its battery capacity to the customer then tells us we shouldn’t use it unless going on long trips. Or buy this FSD before the laws in your state actually allows you to use it.
FYI. I’m not a Tesla hater, I fact I have two. His and hers, with our first being a MS85D. I just don’t like Tesla’s business practices. Another example is sneaking old outdated parts (hardware 2.5) in customers cars without telling them hoping they wouldn’t notice. That is scandalous $h!t.. I could go on and on...

I could be wrong but isn’t the charge mileage a fixed number which can then be affect by driving style and or weather and other environmental factors. I could also be naive but if you market a car for a specific amount of miles, shouldn’t that be the base mileage? Kinda like the Hyundai Kona which is rated 258 miles but is well known to average mileage in the 300+ range in normal driving mode. Seems like real advertises high mileage and exposes most of its battery capacity to the customer then tells us we shouldn’t use it unless going on long trips. Or buy this FSD before the laws in your state actually allows you to use it.
FYI. I’m not a Tesla hater, I fact I have two. His and hers, with our first being a MS85D. I just don’t like Tesla’s business practices. Another example is sneaking old outdated parts (hardware 2.5) in customers cars without telling them hoping they wouldn’t notice. That is scandalous $h!t.. I could go on and on...
Remember the EPA highway mileage test isn't steady state, and it averages ~50 mph. So it is not really representative of most US highway miles.

Tesla should probably convert the miles shown in the display to GOM instead of fixed EPA miles. The biggest downside would be hiding degradation (which the fixed EPA miles kind of shows).

Remember the EPA highway mileage test isn't steady state, and it averages ~50 mph. So it is not really representative of most US highway miles.

Tesla should probably convert the miles shown in the display to GOM instead of fixed EPA miles. The biggest downside would be hiding degradation (which the fixed EPA miles kind of shows).
The current method is very confusing. I refuse to believe my battery had degradation of 8% in two months. And if it’s a charging/ reset issue the Tesla should come up with a better and end-user friendly system.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Nope. The advertised mileage is calculated by following the rules created by the EPA. If you don't like how unrealistic it is you sould contact the EPA and ask them to come up with a better testing procedure.

I understand that the EPA is responsible for the formula. But Tesla could of chosen yo be more transparent with how the range is presented. Hyundai chose to be be transparent with the Kona which is why everyone raves about the great milk age.

Again let me be clear. I don’t want a Kona and I love all my Tesla’s. So to the fanatics, don’t tell me to buy one. We should be able to criticize things we love in order to make it better.

Reactions: Callawayc7
I understand that the EPA is responsible for the formula. But Tesla could of chosen yo be more transparent with how the range is presented. Hyundai chose to be be transparent with the Kona which is why everyone raves about the great milk age.

How does Kona do it differently? Don't they both just report the EPA range. (Which is usually over what you can actually get, but sometimes significantly under, like with the Taycan.)

The quoted ranges are based on EPA estimates, who regulate the conditions under which the ranges are computed for ICE and BEV cars. The actual range you get varies based on weather (rain etc), temperature, your driving speed and style etc. Just like it does for ICE, except for BEVs there is a wider variance with temperature as a result of battery chemistry.

My last ICE car had a mileage range indicator from a full to empty tank, and while accurate it rarely gave me "full" range after I filled the tank (which would have been rated MPG per EPA multiplied by tank capacity). EPA estimates are artificial in that they are done in very controlled environments (e.g. run without A/C or heaters on etc). Really, you can only use them for comparison shopping, though my experience has been that the M3 gets pretty close to quoted range in summer with moderate driving.

How does Kona do it differently? Don't they both just report the EPA range. (Which is usually over what you can actually get, but sometimes significantly under, like with the Taycan.)
its actually the car manufacturers that conduct the EPA millage test. Once they get the numbers they are comfortable with, they then report it to the EPA. The big difference comes in the reported mileage. Some car makers like Hyundai under report the numbers so that consumers feel more comfortable that the car will actually get the rated millage in most driving conditions. Tesla on the other hand reports the exact millage during their controlled driving on probably flat roads in beautiful weather while driving 55 miles an hour (speculation).