Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Gets Updated Screen Visualizations That Are Way Cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Yet again, Tesla’s over-the-air software updates are pretty terrific. Tesla owner and YouTuber Daniel Spalding shares newly updated display screen visualizations in the Tesla Model 3. More specifically, he showcases what happens when you put the car into drive. You’ll see from the video that it now goes from a quick, animated top view of...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/05/20/video-tesla-model-3-screen-visualizations/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Great, except I’m more interested in information about cars around me rather than my car, particularly whether it is safe to make a lane change before I start to make a lane change. Extra points for making the info available where I’m looking, rather than making me look down and to the right. This will likely mean a hardware change to the mirror. Come up with a fix, sell it at cost and install for free.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Great, except I’m more interested in information about cars around me rather than my car, particularly whether it is safe to make a lane change before I start to make a lane change. Extra points for making the info available where I’m looking, rather than making me look down and to the right. This will likely mean a hardware change to the mirror. Come up with a fix, sell it at cost and install for free.
today i noticed cars around me had a delay on my display.
for example, the car that was on my left, 1/2 car ahead was showing up as being in my blind spot.
I looked over and there was no car there.
And again, another car on the right slightly ahead of me was shown as being slightly behind me on my right.
Freaked me out a little because I was getting ready to change the lane.

Moreover, if you’re turning the car, the screen “turns” as well. Spalding shares that even so much as activating the turn signal will show up on the screen,

Sorry, not even a nice-to-have as far as I'm concerned. When I'm turning, I'm looking at the road ahead so I don't hit something. (I have never once looked at the screen while turning to see if my little car icon is turning with me. Heck, I rarely look at the screen while driving straight.

(Off to put on a flame suit since many will disagree with my opinion.)

for example, the car that was on my left, 1/2 car ahead was showing up as being in my blind spot.
And again, another car on the right slightly ahead of me was shown as being slightly behind me on my right.

That’s not good. I wonder what would have happened if you signaled to move over. Would the car have warned you not to?

I find these far from 'way cool'. Most of the surrounding cars are not shown. The images jump around, twisting, and flip between different vehicle types. None of this inspires any confidence that the car understands its surroundings.

The visualisations we have seen for what the autopilot computer really sees, and how it labels objects around the car, as well as path the car is taking, are far more impressive.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I do like how the car zooms in a bit on 2 lane roads, and out when there's traffic around. And you see more proximity warnings, like in the old days. Not sure if it's on the 3, but on the S you can see clouds reflected in the rear glass of the car icon that move in proportion to your speed. Necessary? nope. Cool? yes!

Sorry, not even a nice-to-have as far as I'm concerned. When I'm turning, I'm looking at the road ahead so I don't hit something. (I have never once looked at the screen while turning to see if my little car icon is turning with me. Heck, I rarely look at the screen while driving straight.

(Off to put on a flame suit since many will disagree with my opinion.)
I agree. Why not forget the flashy stuff like this and the damn fart mode and put their focus on making AP better.

• Funny
Reactions: Danny Brown
I don't think I like this that much. I was hoping the updated graphics would make the active lights and indicators more visible, but they are actually almost invisible now in the zoomed out view (at least the brake lights/turn signal). They only cover a handful of pixels and are basically pale pink instead of red against my white car avatar.

Regardless of the ability of these features to assist with driving, I really do believe that the "cool" factor is important and valuable for Tesla. Especially as other companies that people are loyal to join in to the EV market, some of them at much lower prices than Tesla.

I agree. Why not forget the flashy stuff like this and the damn fart mode and put their focus on making AP better.

or just refresh some of the decidedly not cool existing UI's. For example, move the Sentry mode button up a couple of levels so it's easier to access. Or, have a "Garage" setting on the car so it can stay unlocked while sitting inside.

Yeah I get it -- just small stuff, and moving buttons doesn't fall under the 'cool' factor so the top engineers could care less.

What state do you live in? I live in miami Florida and I still dnt have the update.

or just refresh some of the decidedly not cool existing UI's. For example, move the Sentry mode button up a couple of levels so it's easier to access. Or, have a "Garage" setting on the car so it can stay unlocked while sitting inside.

Yeah I get it -- just small stuff, and moving buttons doesn't fall under the 'cool' factor so the top engineers could care less.

The Sentry mode button sits at the top of my screen, next to the dashcam button while parked. Is that just on the S?

Sentry was moved to the front screen. It’s now an icon at the top.