Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is crushing competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So good to hear you drive a lot. Save on gas for sure. Do you live in Alaska, or Canada?

Actually one funny details is that America has had, on most goods, 5% or less duty that's not even always enforced by Customs. Duty in the 25% range is not uncommon in the world, and of course American companies have had to export against that. Anyone know how much duty is charged on a Model 3 going into e.g. France or Germany?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
So good to hear you drive a lot. Save on gas for sure. Do you live in Alaska, or Canada?
What's it like, with the water rapidly rising so you have to keep hopping sad little island to island to find something to cling to as they go under?

Must be pretty depressing, realizing that even the ones not under yet are soon doomed for the same watery tomb. Even with your denial letting you recycle long dead talking points until someone pierces through reminding you of the harsh reality pierces in that they are long drowned.

When you are alone again at night, with no-one around to interrupt you fantasies, do you start afresh from the beginning to cheer yourself up by relieving the times past, when the island were still vast continents, relevant and vibrant? And as you recant the musty talking points over and over, slip into the fog of nigh-dementia where you're living in the past?

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
What's it like, with the water rapidly rising so you have to keep hopping sad little island to island to find something to cling to as they go under?

Must be pretty depressing, realizing that even the ones not under yet are soon doomed for the same watery tomb. Even with your denial letting you recycle long dead talking points until someone pierces through reminding you of the harsh reality pierces in that they are long drowned.

When you are alone again at night, with no-one around to interrupt you fantasies, do you start afresh from the beginning to cheer yourself up by relieving the times past, when the island were still vast continents, relevant and vibrant? And as you recant the musty talking points over and over, slip into the fog of nigh-dementia where you're living in the past?
I really don't understand what you're talking about here but I do like your prose. I give you an "A" for creative writing.
I particularly like this sentence:
"And as you recant the musty talking points over and over, slip into the fog of nigh-dementia where you're living in the past?"

I really don't understand what you're talking about here but I do like your prose. I give you an "A" for creative writing.
I particularly like this sentence:
"And as you recant the musty talking points over and over, slip into the fog of nigh-dementia where you're living in the past?"
Tesla is selling a lot more cars than Bob Lutz expected.

And none of the goals has anything to do with tesla and competition, because tesla is in competition with itself. Just because a company doesn't offer something to compete doesn't mean they are in competition. A BMW 3 series is not competition for a Tesla, one is an EV one is not.
The competition that matters is in the marketplace, and in the marketplace a Tesla Model 3 most definitely competes with a BMW 3 series.

Reactions: afadeev

Huh? Well, you're being gratuitously insulting. Have we met? I have no idea what you're debating. I just dropped in here and I don't know WHICH musty talking points you think I'm recycling, on what side of what argument. Seems to me you're at the stage of attacking windmills. A clinician probably should review what experiences led to your present aggressive condition.

I get the attraction to the SUV hatchback thing. Hell, one of the reasons we have a Leaf Eplus on order is the hatchback. But dang most SUV’s are ugly. The model 3 may be a sedan but it is one hell of a lot nicer looking than ANY SUV including in my opinion the model Y. I think it has a quiet understated elegance to it. Still on our list some day. We’ll be replacing another car in about three years. Hoping it will be a 3 or maybe a lightly used S which is also a great looking car. Until then we will be driving a bunch of leaves...(two leafs...see what I did there?...lol).

I was coming out of a Hyundai Genesis (G80) lease and was cross shopping the V6 G70 and BMW 340. I ended up getting a “new” demonstrator 2018 Non P AWD M3 with 700 miles. $6,700 discount on March 30th and still has tax credit. Far better deal than the two ICE cars I was cross shopping. Had never driven a Tesla before delivery - but had driven the other two cars. I took the plunge - while I think the BMW and G70 are put together a little better, the M3 has an incredible drive. I will replace my wife’s Ford Edge Sport with the Model Y!

Reactions: bhzmark
Car sales are down. Everyone is buying SUVs. Should Tesla have gone with the Model Y first? I know I'd probably get a Y if it was offered now.
Except you have to include the 3 in those numbers. Car sales are down except those that aren’t. The Model 3 has absolutely bucked the sales trend, and is holding its own very well. Existing cars can be analyzed for their own sales trends, and that looks terrible for them. To pretend that the Model 3 hasn’t brought serious negative impact on the BMW 3 Series or Prius is to deny reality.

Reactions: bhzmark and mspohr
Except you have to include the 3 in those numbers. Car sales are down except those that aren’t. The Model 3 has absolutely bucked the sales trend, and is holding its own very well. Existing cars can be analyzed for their own sales trends, and that looks terrible for them. To pretend that the Model 3 hasn’t brought serious negative impact on the BMW 3 Series or Prius is to deny reality.
Denying reality is the name of the game for ICE manufacturers.

Huh? .... I just dropped in here and I don't know WHICH musty talking points you think I'm recycling, on what side of what argument.
IndelibleSizzlingIndianglassfish-size_restricted.gif

LOL

The competition that matters is in the marketplace, and in the marketplace a Tesla Model 3 most definitely competes with a BMW 3 series.

Agreed.
Tesla Model 3 is playing in the small/mid-luxury car marketplace.

It's not an econobox by any stretch of imagination. That's the domain of Prius's (or is that Priusi?).
TM3 compete against other luxury cars like 3-series, A4's, C-class, Lexus IS/ES, etc.

But not Prius.
There is nothing luxurious about Prius, and you wont find anyone classifying it as a luxury automobile, unless copious amounts of alcohol or weed are applied.

Model S is more of a full-sized luxury automobile.

Not all 3er buyers will consider model 3 but some definitely will cross shop

Indeed.

Yes, there are some died in the wool BMW buyers who won't consider anything else, but I think the vast majority will cross shop the Model 3 with the 3 series. This is coming from a 4 time BMW owner who did cross shop and bought a Model 3.

Amen, brother!
If anyone doubts this, just scroll down to my .sig.

However, this thread is begging for a serious deep dive into differences between correlation and causation.
Alas, that's a discussion for another day, and another thread.

a