Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is crushing competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except you have to include the 3 in those numbers. Car sales are down except those that aren’t. The Model 3 has absolutely bucked the sales trend, and is holding its own very well. Existing cars can be analyzed for their own sales trends, and that looks terrible for them. To pretend that the Model 3 hasn’t brought serious negative impact on the BMW 3 Series or Prius is to deny reality.

But then you should include sales of the BMW X3 which is in the same price segment as the BMW 3. Where are all those buyers coming from? Since its sales are way way up. It would be easy to guess 3 series buyers?

I'm not sure why we have spent 7 pagers now debating you (LCR1)
You just don't get it, do Ya Scott?

"Electric infrastructure is so far behind fossil fuel that it's laughable."

So you have a fossil fuel pump at your house? Because unless I'm on a road trip I charge at home. So does everyone else.

You are truly a Luddite.
Not sure how you could disagree with, "Electric infrastructure is so far behind fossil fuel that it's laughable." If you just stay local and have a garage to charge in then electrical infrastructure is superior. Once you head out on the open road the infrastructure is pretty sad. The Super Charger network is great, but has some huge limitations.

Reactions: Thp3
Not sure how you could disagree with, "Electric infrastructure is so far behind fossil fuel that it's laughable." If you just stay local and have a garage to charge in then electrical infrastructure is superior. Once you head out on the open road the infrastructure is pretty sad. The Super Charger network is great, but has some huge limitations.
You do realize electricity is available almost everywhere on earth right?
True, if you are a hard charging road warrior that puts hundreds of miles per day on your vehicle electric is still far behind the fossil fuel infrastructure.
You would also be rather unusual as the overwhelming majority of Americans drive under 100 miles a day as you well know. So for those folks coming home and plugging in is way easier then gassing up. And hardly "laughable" . That was my point.

Reactions: electrictorque
You do realize electricity is available almost everywhere on earth right?
True, if you are a hard charging road warrior that puts hundreds of miles per day on your vehicle electric is still far behind the fossil fuel infrastructure.
You would also be rather unusual as the overwhelming majority of Americans drive under 100 miles a day as you well know. So for those folks coming home and plugging in is way easier then gassing up. And hardly "laughable" . That was my point.
I think it is laughable. It's not very easy to find accessible 240V outlets while on vacation. Electricity is everywhere, but charging at 3 miles an hour is way less than ideal. The infrastructure still sucks.

Reactions: afadeev
Fernand said:
Do the R-necks in the RV parks just let you plug in?

Not if you bring that attitude. Otherwise around here they will often let you charge up for some nominal fee, as long as they have a free spot

Lets just all postulate that scavenging RV parks and trucks stops to beg/borrow/steel some 240V plug access pretty much is the anti-thesis of a joyful, pleasant vacation time.

At least not for the 99% of the EV owners.

I think it is laughable. It's not very easy to find accessible 240V outlets while on vacation. Electricity is everywhere, but charging at 3 miles an hour is way less than ideal. The infrastructure still sucks.
Correct me if I am wrong here...but haven't fossil fuel vehicles been around a little bit longer than EV. Yeah no $hit the infrastructure is better.

Aren’t there RV parks all over the place?
Even if you have Superchargers along your route it would be a lot better to just plug in when you get to your vacation rental, hotel, or campground. Where I camp there’s no power unless you get an RV spot. I have yet to stay at a vacation house or hotel that has anything more than 120V to charge with. Most vacation home sites don’t even have a way to filter for houses with car charging. That’s a sign of really bad infrastructure, even if it doesn’t make you laugh.

Speaking of poor infrastructure, I was in Banff park, driving a (rented)
Prius. Didn't find any gasoline on the way out, so started driving down
the mountain towards "civilization", expecting to find petrol pumps along
the way. Nothing. A storm had begun, and the way out was not all
downhill. The Prius started looking severely energy-deprived. About
half way down I started looking for rescue. Zero cellular signal. No other
humans on the road. Only an occasional "don't feed the bears" sign.
Looking at elevation marks on the paper map, driving like a Prius driver,
assessing the odds of regenerating enough to not end up feeding the
bears on the side of the road. Barely, I mean bearly, made it into a little
town with a gas station. Yeah, infrastructure sucks all around on those
vacation drives.

Even if you have Superchargers along your route it would be a lot better to just plug in when you get to your vacation rental, hotel, or campground. Where I camp there’s no power unless you get an RV spot. I have yet to stay at a vacation house or hotel that has anything more than 120V to charge with. Most vacation home sites don’t even have a way to filter for houses with car charging. That’s a sign of really bad infrastructure, even if it doesn’t make you laugh.
Have you ever stayed at a vacation house or campground that had it's own gas station?

No, but I've never sat at a gas station for hours waiting for the tank to fill up. I don't have issues with the inconvenience of charging on road trips, but I know a lot of people who would. I wouldn't even want to go on a road trip without taking my Tesla.
One can always find edge cases:

NL510N-next-services-410km_DSC4215.jpg