Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Screen cracked out of nowhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I came back from vacation, I found a crack from the top of the center screen, about 3 inches (no one used my car while I was away for sure). I contacted Tesla for service, but there's no appointment available almost four weeks later. By then the crack got much longer and the dude at the service center told me this is not under warranty and I can't proof I did not hit it! And he told me they have never had this problem with other customers before. I have a 2021 Tesla Model 3.
Anyone out there encountered the same issue?

When I came back from vacation, I found a crack from the top of the center screen, about 3 inches (no one used my car while I was away for sure). I contacted Tesla for service, but there's no appointment available almost four weeks later. By then the crack got much longer and the dude at the service center told me this is not under warranty and I can't proof I did not hit it! And he told me they have never had this problem with other customers before. I have a 2021 Tesla Model 3.
After just having washed my Model-3, upon arrival from my one (and only) stop to our local Target (about a mile away), we noticed what appeared to be a (road rock-like) puncture in the lower-left of our Rear Window. Our (short) travel almost assuredly removed the possibility of road objects (e.g., rocks-and-things) from doing the damage, which left us with possible (parking lot) vandalism; but a check of the Sentry cameras minimized even that possibility...Damn! And so now, we are trying to setup an appointment with Tesla to replace; with our insurance company covering all but the $500 deductible (Ouch!)

Attachments

• Rear Windscreen Puncture (02-18-2023).jpg
    Rear Windscreen Puncture (02-18-2023).jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 166
@sea1jaw - I've read a lot of posts, haven't come across any yet mentioning unexplained screen cracks. Does anyone else live in your household who could've been in the car while you were gone?

@Tãwhaki - seems unrelated to the original poster's issue. Certainly that's a point of impact, so something hit the glass. That it's on the rear is a little peculiar. I don't think sentry would pick up a tiny flying object like that either way. Maybe it was a meteorite.

Someone could have dinged your screen, accidents do happen; and then while you were away, maybe the interior got hot and the screen failed. It's unfortunate, but your insurance should cover it.

It's like the glass that gets dropped and doesn't break. You put it in the dishwasher, and crack!

Someone could have dinged your screen, accidents do happen; and then while you were away, maybe the interior got hot and the screen failed. It's unfortunate, but your insurance should cover it.

It's like the glass that gets dropped and doesn't break. You put it in the dishwasher, and crack!
Have to admit, it is curious. As for mine, we had just gotten done washing her (the car) top-to-bottom; the point being, I would have absolutely noticed the puncture-type hit (crack). Anyway, shortly afterwards (no more than 15-20 minutes, we were off to pick up a gift bag (at Target) to a function we were to attend. When we came out of the store, about 10-minuts later, my wife caught it and we just stared at it, around the car, at anyone, and everyone even remotely in the area. There were no trees for anything to drop down from, and the space parked in was all of 6 spaces from the front door! I immediately checked the Sentry for any notifications, along with camera activation(s)... nothing. Ultimately, I ended up with a request to get a replacement done by Safelite, but was advised that it would take at least six weeks for them to order (and receive) it from Tesla, in CA. So I opted for Tesla to do it, and like you... my warranty just ran out a month ago; so it was coming out of pocket (or at least the insurance deductible was)! So, two weeks later, at my prescribed time, at my (closest) dealership in Tampa, it took an exceedingly long time to get seen, THEN... WHEN I finally got a Rep in front of me, he explained they wouldn't have it ready until Friday -THREE DAYS from the dropoff date!?!? When I asked why so long, he simply claimed that was the way they do it there. I asked that if I reschedule for a later date (the first one being three more weeks away) could I expect to have a quicker turn-around, but "nope" was the return volley. So, I rescheduled, but have plans for someone else (other than Tesla) to perform the work. For a first time customer of having to take my Model-3 in for service at a Tesla dealership, I was WHOLLY disappointed! (sorry for the diatribe, but thx for allowing the vent) ;)