TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 sensor and accident

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Anup, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Anup

Anup Member

Otherwise I love this car. Body shop says the following damage has become quite common lately. I guess people are getting too dependent on these sensors.

Just ran into a high curve on the passenger side while getting out of the parking spot. Sensor on the right side gave no visual or audio warning. This is now costing me CAD$3000 to fix. My sensors seem to work intermittently. Any one else is having issue with sensors?

Attached Files:

2. phigment

phigment Member

Page 58 of the manual:

• Like x 1
  3. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

There are no sensors along the rocker panels (only on the front and rear bumpers), so if you approach the curb at a certain angle while turning the car cannot detect it. But generally, the ultrasonic sensors often cannot detect curbs at very close range even in the front and back. So good old-fashioned Mark 1 Eyeball is still required for parking lot maneuvers. I really wish the car had the necessary cameras for a 360 surround view of the ground ...

• Like x 1
  4. brobinson

brobinson Member

This is not an issue with the sensor. You have to pay attention while parking.

• Like x 1
  5. Anup

Anup Member

Agreed. Couple of months ago I sent in a few feature requests. 360 surround view was one of them. I have 360 on my Nissan and never had a parking incident myself.