Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 sensor and accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Otherwise I love this car. Body shop says the following damage has become quite common lately. I guess people are getting too dependent on these sensors.

Just ran into a high curve on the passenger side while getting out of the parking spot. Sensor on the right side gave no visual or audio warning. This is now costing me CAD$3000 to fix. My sensors seem to work intermittently. Any one else is having issue with sensors?

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_090335.jpg
    IMG_20190415_090335.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 158
Page 58 of the manual:

Limitations and False Warnings The parking sensors may not function correctly in these situations: • One or more of the parking sensors is damaged, dirty, or covered (such as mud, ice, or snow). • The object is located below approximately 8 inches (20 cm) (such as a curb or low barrier).Caution: Shorter objects that are detected (such as curbs or low barriers) can move into the blind spot of the sensors. Model 3 cannot alert you about an object while it is in the blind spot of the sensors.

Reactions: Runnergirl
There are no sensors along the rocker panels (only on the front and rear bumpers), so if you approach the curb at a certain angle while turning the car cannot detect it. But generally, the ultrasonic sensors often cannot detect curbs at very close range even in the front and back. So good old-fashioned Mark 1 Eyeball is still required for parking lot maneuvers. I really wish the car had the necessary cameras for a 360 surround view of the ground ...

Reactions: tracksyde
There are no sensors along the rocker panels (only on the front and rear bumpers), so if you approach the curb at a certain angle while turning the car cannot detect it. But generally, the ultrasonic sensors often cannot detect curbs at very close range even in the front and back. So good old-fashioned Mark 1 Eyeball is still required for parking lot maneuvers. I really wish the car had the necessary cameras for a 360 surround view of the ground ...
Agreed. Couple of months ago I sent in a few feature requests. 360 surround view was one of them. I have 360 on my Nissan and never had a parking incident myself.