Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SR+ with 100 mile round trip commute

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oops I thought I mentioned that! There are two superchargers. There is one exactly half way though my commute right off the highway and another right by my work.

Get the car. Range will be a complete non-issue for your situation. Might be the very very rare one-off you have to stop for 5-10 minutes at one of the TWO superchargers you mention are on your route, 99% of the time won't even need to do that.

Why not lease the Tesla? You leased the Civic right?

Having that Supercharger on the way to work makes this a no brained, you’d be fine anyways but even in the dead of winter you’ll be able to stop for 15-20mins and get that extra “buffer” to make you feel better.

The extra money for an AWD for your situation isn’t worth it. You might regret not having AWD come winter but you seem to have lived through it with a Civic so you’ll be fine. Snow tires do wonders.

Last option, move out of Ohio...

Haha I like the move out of Ohio option!

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
My work commute is about 60 miles (80% highway, 20% local streets), I charge at 90% on my SR+, I usually come back home with about 50-55% of charge, with sentry mode on. But my commute to work and back home can be slow due to traffic, so I am not very sure if that actually increases the range, since technically electric cars are more efficient at lower speeds.

I don't live in a cold climate since I live in Los Angeles, so my answer might not help you as much. But I think you should be fine as a commuter car with the SR+.

While an LR AWD is undeniably more fun, especially on road trips, if you take your budget (and wife) constraint seriously, then I think you'll be fine with the SR+. In winter, you should expect about 60% of your range in cold, snowy weather (don't know if you get that in a southern location like Ohio ;)), which gives 150 miles at 100% or 135 miles at 90% charge. Given you can charge at home every night, and you have two superchargers on the way, I think you'll be fine for your commute.

Road trips, on the other hand, are a slightly different proposition, and the additional range of the LR battery is extremely beneficial then.

Reactions: bnikel
Thank you everyone. Tesla offered to let me take a test drive car overnight and do my commute to ease my mind. They said they have no concerns about the car making the drive and even offered to thrown in some free supercharging miles for those one off occasions I have to stop off to charge. I would absolutely love the AWD. But its just not in the budget right now. So I was either going to go with a SR+ or sign another lease on a Honda Civic. I think I am going to stick with the SR+ :) thanks everyone

While an LR AWD is undeniably more fun, especially on road trips, if you take your budget (and wife) constraint seriously, then I think you'll be fine with the SR+. In winter, you should expect about 60% of your range in cold, snowy weather (don't know if you get that in a southern location like Ohio ;)), which gives 150 miles at 100% or 135 miles at 90% charge. Given you can charge at home every night, and you have two superchargers on the way, I think you'll be fine for your commute.

Road trips, on the other hand, are a slightly different proposition, and the additional range of the LR battery is extremely beneficial then.

Thank you :) We do have a Honda Pilot we use for longer road trips (gotta save up for that model X haha)

Thank you everyone. Tesla offered to let me take a test drive car overnight and do my commute to ease my mind. They said they have no concerns about the car making the drive and even offered to thrown in some free supercharging miles for those one off occasions I have to stop off to charge. I would absolutely love the AWD. But its just not in the budget right now. So I was either going to go with a SR+ or sign another lease on a Honda Civic. I think I am going to stick with the SR+ :) thanks everyone

BTW, I suspect they're "throwing in some SC miles" by adding their personal referral code to your order when you make it... (you and the person whose code it is each get 1000 miles that expire in 6 months).... which is fine if they're helping you out significantly- otherwise you might wish to use the code of a friend or something like that to help that person out.

Reactions: Matsayz
BTW, I suspect they're "throwing in some SC miles" by adding their personal referral code to your order when you make it... (you and the person whose code it is each get 1000 miles that expire in 6 months).... which is fine if they're helping you out significantly- otherwise you might wish to use the code of a friend or something like that to help that person out.

Unfortunately in Ohio and Virgina its not “legal” to use the referral codes. I tried to use a friends when ordering the car. So I am not sure what they are doing lol

Unfortunately in Ohio and Virgina its not “legal” to use the referral codes. I tried to use a friends when ordering the car. So I am not sure what they are doing lol

Ummmm what?! Dude, definitely move out of Ohio! Did you check if leasing the car is an option for you? Your daily mileage looks like it would bust the cap but maybe since Ohio is crazy then maybe Tesla would offer a higher cap.

Ummmm what?! Dude, definitely move out of Ohio! Did you check if leasing the car is an option for you? Your daily mileage looks like it would bust the cap but maybe since Ohio is crazy then maybe Tesla would offer a higher cap.

I did, but leasing the car turned out to me a lot more than buying it at that mileage. Trust me, I would love to move out of Ohio. But I have a lot keeping me here lol

With the long range (awd or used lr Rwd) you won’t have range anxiety

You can make do with the SR+ as long as you have a supercharger along the way for a quick stop on those rare days (have other errands to run, it is really, really cold, etc...)

don’t think it has been mentioned but the speed you travel on the highway makes a big difference as well; if you normally drive 65 this will be much less of a concern than if you normally drive 75

Haha but my range anxiety will be replaced with financial anxiety! Good point. The highway speed limit is 65MPH I usually will do around 65 - 70MPH however with autopilot I will probably go a little slower and just relax lol

I did, but leasing the car turned out to me a lot more than buying it at that mileage. Trust me, I would love to move out of Ohio. But I have a lot keeping me here lol

Perhaps if possible, find a job closer to home?

In your case, you can't do leasing, since maximum Tesla currently offers is 15000 miles a year. Assuming if you work 5 days a week, that will easily blow that mileage limit.

Perhaps some day Tesla will bring back the Long Range RWD Model 3. This fills in the gap between SR+ and AWD. When I bought my Model 3 it was an extra $6K to go from SR+ to LR RWD. That seemed like a good value for the extra range and upgraded interior. I also had a hard time justifying the extra $4K to go from RWD to AWD since I did not need the AWD in Southern California.

So we live in the great white north and my commute is almost 100 miles (maybe 3 or 4 less miles).
Thr SR+ is more than enough even in canadian weathee.
I typically leave at 80% charge and arrive home at 32% charge in winter and 42% in summer driving mostly at 60 65mph.
Here the difference between sr+ and long range is 15k.
I have made recent roap trips 250+ miles and had to stop at superchargers more than i had wished (specially in winter)
So if you dont do a lot of winter road trips sr+ should be good for you..
Dont worry about daily commute at all. You can run the battery from 90 to 20 without much issues.

Reactions: bnikel and Matsayz
Once u drive the 3, you wont be driving a sub $50K ice car anytime soon

It would be interesting to take a poll of SR+ owners to see how many of them would purchase the SR+ again versus upgrading to LR AWD.

Haha I think that poll exists. I seem to remember reading something like that. I think its a mix of people. Most wanting the perfor
Yes you will tend to set AP at 65 abd just relax while you observe everything around you..

Thank you so much! This made me feel much better!