Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who here owns (and has in their possession and is driving it) a Tesla Model 3 Standard? Not the Plus edition, just the standard $35,000 version.

I am curious to note how many people stuck to their reservation and were not lured in by the shiny upgrades of the Plus edition.

We managed to order ours before they shut down the online ordering function

Also if you have ordered one, but not received it, do you order via the store/phone call? And when you call are they pushing you for the plus, or letting you get the Standard "cheaper" one?

I say "cheaper", as after taxes it is still a ~$40,000 car! It's not that cheap!

Quite a few people on this forum have posted that they took delivery of an SR model. For it to be $35K they would have to take it in black with standard wheels and no AP/FSD but I believe quite a few people have done this.

Is there an official/unofficial count somewhere of how many standards are on the road? Probably find out next quarter in Tesla finances, but it would be interesting to know.

Is there an official/unofficial count somewhere of how many standards are on the road? Probably find out next quarter in Tesla finances, but it would be interesting to know.
Didn't Tesla say the ratio of SR+ (or was it all non-SR?) to SR was something like 6:1 before they the SR off the order page? That was a big part of their rationale, at least the one they have given, for taking the SR off the online page. Its relative lack of popularity.

Didn't Tesla say the ratio of SR+ (or was it all non-SR?) to SR was something like 6:1 before they the SR off the order page? That was a big part of their rationale, at least the one they have given, for taking the SR off the online page. Its relative lack of popularity.

That was when people still thought the SR had manual cloth seats. Once the SR became an SR+ with a few minor software locks it seems that virtually nobody wanted an SR+ anymore. $1,500 extra for 20 miles of range, “Enhanced audio” and fog lights? Give me a break.

That's a fairly normal BEV number, $75/mile. It'd make the gap between SR+ and LR about $6400, which is at least ballpark. That's before the sub-woofer and the lights.

But for someone looking for an entry level luxury priced car, adding $1,500 for those items plus $3K for AP makes the price a lot less attractive. A lot of people put deposits down in 2016 when they thought they could buy a Tesla for $35K. There is significant market potential at that price.

Looking at the comments from all those people who bought an SR+ and have contacted Tesla to try and downgrade to an SR, I would say that the SR is far more compelling right now than the SR+. AP may be useful for some but for me trying to use it in congested LA traffic has been absolutely worthless.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Also if you have ordered one, but not received it, do you order via the store/phone call? And when you call are they pushing you for the plus, or letting you get the Standard "cheaper" one?

I have been on the phone with sales reps about 5-6 times ordering my 35k SR. NOT ONCE, did they try and upsell me. It was a very easy process. Ready for delivery in days.

I've been thinking about ordering a $35K SR before the end of the quarter. For those that have ordered recently have people you able to take delivery quickly? I'm trying to sell my current car first and place an order in early June but I'm afraid a sales advisor will say I may not be able to take delivery by the end of the quarter and then push me towards an SR+.

I would say my experience was very similar. Ordered over the phone with inside sales. Never once did they try to upset me. Even leading up to my delivery date, I was never upsold.

Lucky guy. Back then on March the game is different, Salesman/Adviser or whoever from Tesla will keep saying SR only got cloth seats, reduced battery range, less speakers, less this and less that. "Oh and see what we got here! Only for a slightly more money you can get a partial premium flux leather seats, more speakers, more range all for just $2700 Canadian Dollars extra!"

That's where the 6:1 Ratio comes from back then. If we all know the difference of SR vs SR+ was not much, i bet the ratio would be different. If you know what I mean.....

Only if the battery is actually different. I don't charge to 100% even on road trips. With a software locked battery I will.
I thought on this one they were leaving a cell bank out of use, rather than creating the limit via V?

In any event, whether physically different or not, 20 miles is 20 miles, and it is real. However you choose to use it. Mental hang-ups on physical aspects that aren't the full definition of the function is anachronistic.

I thought on this one they were leaving a cell bank out of use, rather than creating the limit via V?

In any event, whether physically different or not, 20 miles is 20 miles, and it is real. However you choose to use it. Mental hang-ups on physical aspects that aren't the full definition of the function is anachronistic.

You'll pretty much never use those 20 miles though, they are basically worthless. Supercharging will be extremely slow above 90% battery so you'd never do that. So those 20 miles really only benefit you for the first leg of a long journey. It could also help if you regularly travel a distance that is between what the 220mile range can do and what the 240mile range can do, but let's be honest - that's a pretty niche use case.

Reactions: Retaw
Lucky guy. Back then on March the game is different, Salesman/Adviser or whoever from Tesla will keep saying SR only got cloth seats, reduced battery range, less speakers, less this and less that. "Oh and see what we got here! Only for a slightly more money you can get a partial premium flux leather seats, more speakers, more range all for just $2700 Canadian Dollars extra!".

Back then that probably was the plan. When it turned out to be a dog for sales they realized it was going to be cheaper to throw in some of the premium stuff that would have required them to manufacture different parts. Dropping the sub-woofer is a simple deletion, for example, so that went but cloth seat covering would have required tooling down the road at their seat factory, and logistics to keep it all straight.

And of course they are going to emphasis what you aren't getting. Having a bunch of people send back the vehicle because they got envy over the premium seats, and claim they didn't understand what they were buying, would likely have been a nightmare that kept them up at night.