Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. There's a lot more software work to be done to bring it to the level it needs to be. And they really need to make better use of those scroll wheels, particularly for AP. I loved the suggestion in the comments on Reddit that Tesla should update the firmware so that during AP:

1) Left scroll wheel function doesn't change - it's volume/media control as usual
2) Right scroll wheel becomes AP control - left or right changes follow distance and up or down changes cruise speed

That alone should help a ton. Then make the UI elements far more prominent and you're in business.

Right scroll wheel becomes AP control - left or right changes follow distance and up or down changes cruise speed

Literally read the article then typed this out, but refreshed the page and saw you posted. Excellent idea about using right scroll wheel for AP controls and keep left for volume. This is definitely something I see many S/X owners would request since current controls are so easy/fast/accessible.

Agreed on all accounts, he nailed what Tesla should do to alleviate the absence of the Autopilot third stalk (that the S/X have).
I already had some of those suggestions lined up for Elon's next Tweet storm. ;-)

Solid review as well. Not a fan of The Drive, or of some of his style, but this was a great read. Well done.

Don’t understand why Tesla didn’t simply move the existing AP control system from the S/X left stalk to the M3 right one:

Make the right stalk able to “flap” out. One flap = TACC, two - AP. Push in to cancel.

Then up and down could be +1/-1 on speed, with +5/-5 if moved past the “click.”
Absent that, I agree with alternate plans to use right click wheel. However, it would be nice to be able to assign that to temp, fan speed, etc.

Take some of the workload off of the single screen. Already two screens’ worth of stuff have been squeezed into one. Would be nice if the stalk/click wheel workload could be kept there rather than dumped into the crowded mix.

Don’t understand why Tesla didn’t simply move the existing AP control system from the S/X left stalk to the M3 right one:

Make the right stalk able to “flap” out. One flap = TACC, two - AP. Push in to cancel.

Absent that, I agree with alternate plans to use right click wheel. However, it would be nice to be able to assign that to temp, fan speed, etc.

Take some of the workload off of the single screen. Already two screens’ worth of stuff have been squeezed into one. Would be nice if the stalk/click wheel workload could be kept there rather than dumped into the crowded mix.
Good ideas. They have made changes to the AP stalk behavior on the S over time, and the S/X have multiple levels of functionality via steering wheel knobs. Am guessing the same can be achieved via an OTA software update on the 3.

From one of the cannonball drivers: Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review

Interesting comments on AP and the UI....IMHO....good read.

Thanks for providing the link. I find these reviews very helpful and would not be possible without the assistance of Model 3 owners.

Does anyone know if Tesla will provide vehicles for journalist to review?

I don't expect any gotcha moments but (once again) we still do not have a conclusive answer from Tesla as to whether rear seat heaters exist.

Maybe the Mobil Eye split was related to this, but maybe not.

In any case, I for one would not want to defend a crash using a Beta software to pilot my vehicle, without the hard controls, to control that pilot, without looking at a screen...

Thank you very much

FURY

1) Left scroll wheel function doesn't change - it's volume/media control as usual
2) Right scroll wheel becomes AP control - left or right changes follow distance and up or down changes cruise speed

Yes please. On top of this, when you do the windscreen wiper single wipe action on the stalk - the left wheel should change to a wiper speed mode, that can be set manually with say, a 3 second inactivity timeout before returning to media controls.

To make this more intuitive, simply have the LED illumination in the wheels pulse while the mode is active.

Yes please. On top of this, when you do the windscreen wiper single wipe action on the stalk - the left wheel should change to a wiper speed mode, that can be set manually with say, a 3 second inactivity timeout before returning to media controls.

To make this more intuitive, simply have the LED illumination in the wheels pulse while the mode is active.
Ooh, nice idea: temporary task assignments to scroll wheels. You should totally hit Elon up with that idea. :)

I agree. There's a lot more software work to be done to bring it to the level it needs to be. And they really need to make better use of those scroll wheels, particularly for AP. I loved the suggestion in the comments on Reddit that Tesla should update the firmware so that during AP:

That alone should help a ton. Then make the UI elements far more prominent and you're in business.
Another solution would be to temporarily turn the wheel to AP controls (follow dist, speed etc) for 5 seconds after AP is enabled, and again whenever the shift stick is pulled down to the AP position.

I understand the appeal of using the steering wheel joystick(s), but Tesla sells to a litigious crowd that can be quick to blame Tesla for their own mistakes. It also seems fair to point out that the car is supposed to know and use posted speed limits so the need to set the speed may be limited in the way Tesla intended.

When all is said and done though, I prefer a dedicated stick.

From one of the cannonball drivers: Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review

Interesting comments on AP and the UI....IMHO....good read.
So, they're having similar problems with cold humans in the footwell area of the Model 3 that I and many others had with my & their Model Ss. One Russian guy found out, according to him, there's an exterior exposed (or connected to exterior exposed) aluminum plate down there in the S that conducts cold air very efficiently into the footwell area, and as soon as he uninstalled it, insulated all of its metal contact points with something I think he called thermal tape so it couldn't conduct as much cold and replaced it, it helped solve his cold air problem (Model S). It sounds really easy to fix. Perhaps Model 3 has a similar situation. I tried insulating my Model S footwell with blankets and/or towels sitting on top of the carpet, but it wasn't the best solution. It's dangerous to put more floor coverings in the pedal area, but I did it anyway, to limited helpful effect. It's quite amazing that a plate caused this, but having lived in NYC during winter for 6 years, I believe it: the metal literally radiates the heat away from your body. I think the body is used to being radiated with heat from all sides in a normal situation, but if one side is not radiating heat in but is still receiving your radiated heat back out, it ends up "sucking" the heat out of you. Physics & math are awesome and unrelenting all at the same time.

This is an area I wish Tesla would pay more attention to, since it's bound to be an issue with electric cars since they don't have the flamethrower of a heater sitting in the front of the vehicle putting out more heat than they know what to do with, thus, for Teslas, they require a different regiment of footwell heating. "Wishing away" the most extreme part of the human body's need to have heat isn't going to solve this problem, especially on the long cold drives where any amount of residual heat captured by clothing for multi-layered dressed people will have long dissipated away in that extreme cold (regardless of whatever naysayers claim).